Polaris Slingshot

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been driving one for the past 4 days, and I just love it so much.

I was on the same fence as most people: I didn't care, because I couldn't classify it. Why would I want a car that's like a motorcycle, but like a roadster too? I have bikes, and I have a drop top, so who cares?

Then I drove it.

Now I don't care what it is. It's great. It's exciting. It's fun.

It's a completely different experience from riding two wheels, or riding four. It's a car with everything I love about riding motorcycle. It's fast, raucous, nimble, and easy to use. Doesn't hurt that I receive ribald advances from all the right people everywhere I go.

Much to my chagrin, my GT may as well be a commercial washing machine compared to the attention this thing grabs. Perfect device if you like meeting and talking to people.

But that's not what it's all about. It's about that drive. Looking through the short windscreen over those wild front fenders. Listening to the present, but not obnoxious exhaust note. The way you accidentally plunge yourself against the seat back, and the way the engine just grabs for more. And especially the way you can go in way to hot, and it doesn't even break a sweat. 99% certain I'm going to add this to my collection before the week is out.

Now to find out the best oil for a GM Ecotec that's getting the urine wrung out of it on a daily basis.....

But but but you need a Camry and a monk robe to enjoy life.... :p

What oil does it use?

Would you change anything to it? Tires?

Couple guys have them in my area for Summer toys....

My buddy let me test drive his last summer. Is fun and attracts a lot of attention. I don't think they are practical, but I'm a boring type of guy.

I'm sure it must be an interesting drive.
If I had to have a 3 wheeler, I think I'd rather have one of these, for buzzing around my roads.

But for Florida the Slingshot kind of fits in better I guess. It should have scissor doors to turn the flash factor up to 11!

Last summer I saw a guy and a gal cruising in one and they both had ear to ear grins.

Originally Posted By: JC1
My buddy let me test drive his last summer. Is fun and attracts a lot of attention. I don't think they are practical, but I'm a boring type of guy.

You sound like my buddy who after years of performance cars, decided to settle down, get married and have kids.
As you can imagine, we don't keep in contact much anymore as our interest have changed.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

But that's not what it's all about. It's about that drive. Looking through the short windscreen over those wild front fenders. Listening to the present, but not obnoxious exhaust note. The way you accidentally plunge yourself against the seat back, and the way the engine just grabs for more. And especially the way you can go in way to hot, and it doesn't even break a sweat. 99% certain I'm going to add this to my collection before the week is out.

thumbsup2.gif

I saw one a couple of weeks ago at the motorcycle show. I sat in in the cockpit and was amazed at how well everything fit together. Everything feels raw and primitive, exactly how I like it!

I'm well aware that it fits into a "certain category", but I could care less. It's friggin fun.

I'm in my early 30s BTW, so no mid-life crisis here. I just love the ultra-raw for-the-drive-only feel about it.

It really is a shame that so many things get labeled as "old guy" stuff. I think if people my age and even younger had a Vette, a Harley, an old muscle car, a fishing boat, and a road trip station wagon in their lives, they would have a lot less bugs up their tunnel.

I also love that 3 wheeler with the motorcycle engine up front. Looks absolutely beastly. Also a huge fan of Caterhams, Shelby Cobras, and other raw driving machines with class.

I think they look really fun. Unfortunately living in CT I'd have to think about how many days I could realistically drive it. If I lived in a warm climate like Florida I'd definitely want one.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I'm sure it must be an interesting drive.
If I had to have a 3 wheeler, I think I'd rather have one of these, for buzzing around my roads.

But for Florida the Slingshot kind of fits in better I guess. It should have scissor doors to turn the flash factor up to 11!

I see a Morgan 3 wheeler occasionally in my area. I like their sports cars but this...not so much. I’ll take the Slingshot.

They look like fun, and about as pure of a driving experience as you can get here in a new vehicle....hop you enjoy the heck out of it if you do!

Funny about the 'old guy' comments...I'm at the age where I am starting to get the mid life crisis questions about vehicles from folks who don't know me... My answer; "yes, since about 22..." Then smile and drive away happily.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

It really is a shame that so many things get labeled as "old guy" stuff. I think if people my age and even younger had a Vette, a Harley, an old muscle car, a fishing boat, and a road trip station wagon in their lives, they would have a lot less bugs up their tunnel.

I am an "old guy", if over 60 applies, and sorry to say the Slingshot just has a 100% bought on a whim because I've got loads of $$ to play with look. It's good to hear you've driven one like you stole it and it delivers. Be willing to bet the majority of them are strictly a look at me toy driven like a granny. The one I see the most is driven by an old guy and usually is sporting some kind of floppy cloth top. Wonder how long that back tire lasts if driven in anger?

My bro-in-law works at a place that sells them and he let me take one out for a test drive. It was fun to drive, but one still has the same problem with these as with motorcycles...when it rains, you still get wet...

Yes, it is 100% a fair weather vehicle. I did not and would not consider driving one unless it were guaranteed good weather for the entire day.

Despite it having a frame and chairs, I drive it as if it were a motorcycle. Same amount of caution and distrust of other drivers.

Originally Posted By: JetStar
I think I like the T-Rex a little better, but it is very expensive.

https://campagnamotors.com/2018-t-rex/16sp-explore/

Have Fun !!!

I've had the opportunity to drive pretty much all of the 3-wheeled machines available over the years, including the Polaris Slingshot. The most entertaining for me was a ZX-14 powered T-Rex. But even that paled in comparison to a regular Motorcycle, IMO. But if others like them, then more power to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back