Polaris Scrambler 850 Silkolene Pro4SX 15w50 9 hrs

Status
Not open for further replies.
I race this quad. I sees extremely demanding conditions, mostly dust, hard throttle and sustained rpms. The most recent sample is Silkolene Pro 4 SX in 15w50. It is a full ester oil, I was just curious how it would perform in this engine. The previous two samples are Schaeffer's Racing 5w50. I was very happy with the Schaeffer's, just curious about the Silkolene and needed to use it up, looks like it did very well.

I took the sample on a cold engine, concerned about the fuel. I know this fuel injected engine has a very rich start and cold idle mode, I tried to avoid it by sampling cold, but it seems I may have a fuel problem.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
How hot does it run?

Honestly don't know, fan pretty much runs the entire race, but the heat light has never tripped. Doesn't have a gauge, no place to put one.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
I bet it does not get hot enough to evaporate the fuel

You may be right, I read quite a bit on the internet about similar quads overheating, but those are mostly mud quads. I am diligent about spraying out the radiator fins after each race to maximize cooling.

I have an IR thermo, wonder where I could point it to get an accurate temp reading for the engine?

Quote:
I bet it does not get hot enough to evaporate the fuel

rolling on the floor laughing at this!!!

the stoners remarks are always a good laugh.

alum down by 50%
iron up by 55%
copper down by 86%
lead up by 3x infinity
tin up by 1x infinity
these numbers are very confusing.
silicon of 12 - up 58%
but 12 is not high at all.
so where does the lead and tin come from all of a sudden when other metals are down but not iron?
how does iron go up but alum down? gears in tranny? very possible but then might we not see copper from the usual brass bushings as well?
nothing is bad at all in this report, just confusing numbers.
really wondering if there is any scatter but the typical silver is not present. hmmmm

flash of 360 shows just how much that 2.3% fuel really kills it
and that susvis of 78.2 is actually pretty darn good for 2.3% fuel!

9hrs of use? dannnngggggg!

This engine doesn't have an integral transmission. The engine turns a power distribution gear box(basically) and the clutches are CVT. That's how I can get to 9 hours, most of my friends that run similar quads change at 25 hours, but I can't allow myself to let it go that long, just worried about making liquid sandpaper on long intervals like that.

Only thing I can say about this is the Silkolene looks better than I expected. Lots of these high-dollar euro oils fall short on ZDDP additives, compared to American oils like Red Line or Maxima.

Anyway, the last two quarts I have of this oil are in the quad now and since racing season won't start for three more months it will be a while before I check it again, and probably won't sample this Silkolene again because I'll not buy it again because of the price. The Schaeffer's worked just as well IMO and is much cheaper.

and thats why those of us that are do these crazy tests find out the data we do.
we prove that certain oils just simply arent that good or arent as good as others for the same price or arent as good as others that cost less.

Seems like the Silkolene was beat on and still maintained viscosity pretty darn well even in the face of fuel dilution, so this makes me feel good about using the street version of this same oil in my Ducati. Thanks for posting this UOA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back