Polaris Outlaw 450 KTM engine 4 hrs Elf 4Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have passed this race quad down to my 13 year old daughter. She races it pretty hard, but doesn't rev it high like I did when I raced it. This KTM RFS engine has held up extremely well. It has a total of 122 hours on the crank and 48 hours since it's one and only new piston.

I bought 3 cases of Elf 4Power 10w50 oil for a fair price to use in my race quads. Probably shouldn't have bought that much without really knowing what I was getting, but it turned out okay. This is my first sample with this oil and the first on this engine since the new piston.

Oil looks good, sheared more than I would have thought (ELF 4Power is a PAO base stock oil), but you can see the wear metals are down, mostly to my daughter not running the engine as hard as I did probably.

The engine has an oil cooler in place of the short oil filter.

It holds 1.4L with filter change, and, yes, KTM specs a 50 wt for this engine. I haven't always run a 50 wt oil. It's had Amsoil Moto 10w40 for most of it's life with good results. The previous analysis you see in the report above is Amsoil Moto 10w40.

yes susvis of just 71.0 is pretty low. getting close to 30wt.
but flash of 455 is big!

for me the biggest change was silver. how did it go from 10 to zero without a recalibration by the stoners? at 10 you could be mining that engine and selling it on the market!

no reason to switch anything with her racing it!
looks like 5hrs is the limit though for this oil.

steve

Originally Posted By: sunruh

no reason to switch anything with her racing it!
looks like 5hrs is the limit though for this oil.

steve

Yep. just what I was thinking.

I'd be interested to see how redline would do in this engine. Nice thing about redline is you can mix their stuff. Maybe some 20w50 motorcycle mixed 50/50 with the 50wt racing. It shouldn't shear down as bad.

Ever run Klotz mx4 or good old rotella? I've had great results in my built yfzr and raptor 700r with both. Never did a uoa but from teardowns I have been more than impressed.

Never ran Klotz or Red Line but believe they are quality oils. Don't like the clutch feel with Rotella.

My daughter said the shifting wasn't exactly notchy with the Elf, but she has liked other oils better. Both of my daughter's that race 450s are very picky about clutch feel and gear shift feel. They have run many different oils, often without knowing it, and they let me know it when an oil doesn't work for them. I have my 2 450s on different oils purely to achieve their desired clutch/shifting feel.

The Klotz had a much smoother and linear feel to the release compared to the Rotella.

I would give the Klotz a try if you find it at a decent price or what not. My jug has close to 350 hours on it and is still in pristine shape and 150 hours on the last piston with almost zero wear showing on it.

Yeah, I've heard good things about Klotz, I used to run their 2-stroke oil. Just can't find it for a good price. I usually buy a season't worth at a time, about 3 cases and look every winter for a good price on a quality oil. Last year I found the Elf and bought 4 cases, 3 of the 4Power and one of a grp III 5w40 flavor. When I run out of this I'll look for more at a good price. There's a shop in Dallas that has Silkolene for a nice price in case lots, hope I can still get it when I need it.

Never ran Silkolene. Only place that had it was the local Honda dealer and he was proud of it.

Are you running stock internals in these?

Originally Posted By: Brent_G

Are you running stock internals in these?

Yes, stock internals with just a pipe and airbox mods on this Outlaw. Plenty of power for the woods.

Here's a UOA I got from a guy on the Raptor forums. It's from a Yamaha Raptor 700; it's the MX4 10w40.

You can see he had a fuel problem, but the oil itself looks pretty stout, the low flash and poor metals I contribute to the fuel.

Yeah, something like that, and this guy also ran a K&N air filter and went too long between changes. To me the oil looks solid, or should I say the additives look solid. Never tried it myself so...just guessing.

Funny thing is, before I convinced him to do a UOA, he was sold on the Klotz and the K&N air filter.

It's always been funny to me how guys fight so hard about something they really know nothing about.

Glad I didn't buy any klotz stuff. We'll have too see how my 50% redline race 10w30 and my 50% redline 10w40 motorcycle concoction does in my ninja 250 track bike. Figured the slightly lighter oil would reduce some internal friction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back