Polar Vortex Coming

Feel bad for the winter Texans … many come here with $100k to $150k in truck/RV to well, well, beyond with the gorgeous motor coaches - all to find some warm weather. We have an RV park with a million gallon pool and the surrounding area looks like a Martian ship hauled it in from Cancun … Sure hope they keep power … but the landscaping will be destroyed just like mine … (at least I grew my palm trees, they hauled them in already large) …

Yeah this rare cold front will quickly pass but it will damage our cold intolerant vegatation. We are bringing the small plants in and covering up the palms and citrus trees. Hopeing they survive it.

Yeah this rare cold front will quickly pass but it will damage our cold intolerant vegatation. We are bringing the small plants in and covering up the palms and citrus trees. Hopeing they survive it.
Man, two solid days of that … at the point where a few lost will make it easier next time …

Rolling blackouts might be coming your way, Texas.

Yeah, they've happened unfortunately, I saw numerous tweets this AM showing ERCOT performing rolling blackouts to get demand below capacity.

Electric heat was common when I lived in Texas. Cheap to install, not needed very often, which offsets the higher cost of running it.

When something like this hits, it should come as no surprise that the utility can't keep up. The electric demand will likely exceed those peak AC days in August...

Sadly, a discussion about weather ended up with bickering and nit-picking.

If we can all agree to stay off the climate-change agenda, I’ll open this back up as the weather continues.

Thanks
Scouts honor … it seemed to move to the Texas thread when something like 25 states got a dose of this.
Good lessons learned to be shared.

Scouts honor … it seemed to move to the Texas thread when something like 25 states got a dose of this.
Good lessons learned to be shared.
BTW: lots of folks who could afford them bought whole home generator sets after Harvey … they are about to find out they suck NG like a Hoover when feeding an HVAC. Know one guy who got shocked by a $600 natty gas bill …

This is a handy cord that came with my PowerStroke generator but I use it on the WGen9500.
Like having 4 standard amp home plugs … I like that it J slots in and won’t vibrate out …
459DC0D0-2898-47BA-8345-693797721928.png

I kept myself entertained the other night watching (and making fun of) a non-newsworthy report about heavy snow in the New England states.

It happens every year. You live up north, you live with @$$ deep snow. It's not worth dramatically-written, alarming story. A foot of snow, and more coming. Woooo, rock me. Give me a call when it's up to the eves of your house and you can't get out the front door. Then you'll more closely resemble Wyoming with your winters.

Brrrrr, it's cold and snowing in New York in February. I bet the sun comes up in the east again tomorrow, too.
:)

1613626392588.png

Second floor bedroom window cracked from the cold during this polar vortex. Inside was toasty 22C, but outside was bone numbing -32C. I guess 50C in temperature differential was too much for the glass to handle. First time that I had experienced this type of issue during 30+ years of living in Canada.

I seen on the local weather yesterday that 73.2 % of the country has snow cover. Hasn't been that high for 18 years he said.

Back