Polar Vortex Coming

I just can’t stand when they throw a ton of salt down around here when we get a quarter inch of snow. Drives me nuts, I love to drive in the snow but not when there’s salt everywhere. I keep my winter truck 1990 Toyota 4x4 coated with woolwax to keep the rust at bay but it’s definitely a pain in the butt.

A good test for any polar vortex is to freeze Dallas. Done deal. Houston is supposed to freeze on Thursday. :)

US Low Temp Feb 11 2021.JPG

Last edited:
Have you ever noticed that this is not really a newsworthy event..... until that polar vortex hits the east coast and/or Florida?
News events are relative. Winter is composed of specific meteorological happenings that last only a specific amount of time. Lots of people have experienced something in this last week and early next week that might happen only once per year. Houston is forecast to have a 24 hour stretch of freezing weather on Monday. That’s newsworthy. ;)

They have moved us down to 7F … say goodbye to these and others at my place

View attachment 45177
I remember the winter of 1983. I was 14. It had been in the lower teens for a couple of weeks. We'd gone down to the Rockport/Port Aransas area where my aunt, uncle,and cousins live. All the palm trees had froze, all ponds were completely frozen over, and the ocean at Rockport's beach was frozen way out where you could see the waves crashing on the ice. It was a trip!! We had so much fun walking all around on the frozen ponds.

I remember the winter of 1983. I was 14. It had been in the lower teens for a couple of weeks. We'd gone down to the Rockport/Port Aransas area where my aunt, uncle,and cousins live. All the palm trees had froze, all ponds were completely frozen over, and the ocean at Rockport's beach was frozen way out where you could see the waves crashing on the ice. It was a trip!! We had so much fun walking all around on the frozen ponds.
Oh yeah … I was living in a split level lake house near Livingston … it was really built as a weekend spot …
It had a metal fireplace and other than that … plug in electrics. I bought a Kerosun heater that made a big difference.
When I’d get home from my outdoor job … I was always met by a complaint of how cold the house is … and go right back out the door for kerosene 😕

Want to talk about HOT. I remember on a family vacation when I was a kid. We went down to South Padre Island/Port Isabel. There was a bank on the island that had a tall tower with the time and temp. We were driving past it and it said 118!! I have no idea how accurate it was, but I remember it being so hot that if you stood on the asphalt in one place too long it would burn the bottoms of your feet through your tennis shoes!!

Back