Plunged in head first, dumped windows for linux.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dumped XP last night and installed Zorin OS 8 64bit. Amazingly everything works right out of the box, havent had to install any MB, VGA, or (built in) audio drivers or anything else. I'm on Google chrome now, a small change from Firefox but pleasant for sure.

Ive done that 2 or 3 times. Last time was an Ubuntu variation.
I usually end up going back to Windows when I buy a new machine preloaded with it.

This is pretty much what should be expected from a typical Ubuntu-derived OS. You get a kernel that's all-kinds-of loaded up with drivers (fine for most users) so things will probably work out-of-the box and there's no Unity junk to create a learning cliff.

Congrats. Zorin is nice.

Originally Posted By: Gene K
I usually end up going back to Windows when I buy a new machine preloaded with it.

Why don't you buy a machine without windows?

thats a good upgrade. nothing wrong with windows 7, but xp is getting ancient..

Any reason you picked that? over mint and other well known linux versions?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
thats a good upgrade. nothing wrong with windows 7, but xp is getting ancient..

Any reason you picked that? over mint and other well known linux versions?

21.gif
Had to start somewhere. Being a noob that has never messed with linux, DOS, or anything, this looked like it would be an easy gateway into linux. My wife is considering Mint, if we can get her Inspiron 570 to boot from the CD ROM. I may switch later to something else.

My PC is only 2.08GH CPU and 1GB RAM and AGP Nvidea GeForce 6600 on an ASUS K8Ne MBI built Many Many years ago. I really needed to upgrade my OS, but upgrading hardware is not an option right now, and it sounded like Zorin OS ran good on XP amchines.

wow thats ancient.
if you like linux you could put together a decent box for
or get a refurb for around 100-125$ that would be a massive upgrade they also come with windows 7
in case you don't like linux, or find there is some things you can only do from windows.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asand1
Dumped XP last night and installed Zorin OS 8 64bit. Amazingly everything works right out of the box, havent had to install any MB, VGA, or (built in) audio drivers or anything else. I'm on Google chrome now, a small change from Firefox but pleasant for sure.

Due to the privacy issues, bloated, etc. I'd suggesting trying SW Iron http://www.srware.net/en/software_srware_iron.php instead of Chrome. It is a lighter, secure version of Google Chrome.

You can still run Firefox on Linux, too.

With your limited hardware, Lubuntu and Mint XFCE would be light linux distros to consider.

Last edited:
I have Xubuntu (Xfce interface) on an older HP laptop with similar hardware. I think it's a 1.9 GHz Pentium M, 1 GB RAM, some sort of low-end integrated graphics, etc. It runs pretty good on it.

Originally Posted By: Gene K

Ha Ha. Windows 8.1 drove me to Linux Mint. It was like waking up from a bad dream...

OP, welcome to the Linux family! That is what it seems like to me.

Zorn was too slow and twitchy on my system, so i've switched to Mint 12 ldxe. Much faster and more stable so far.

Have a friend with an HP laptop and the harddrive crashed.. but he spilled something in it, so they wouldn't cover the drive.

He gave it to me, but without the recovery partiton, HP wanted $50something for a copy of Windoze. I think I'll pass on that.

Currently running Mint 17 with the Mate desktop. So far so good. I ran Ubuntu for a little bit. Going to play with this one for a while and maybe try KDE or something else.

The Mate desktop is my favorite of the 4 desktops that Linux Mint offers. KDE will take a lot more system resources to run than Mate will use.

FYI: Zorin 9 is out, an LTS version.

I installed it in Virtualbox, but for some reason it won't go above 640x400 resolution. Zorin 8 had no issues driving a reasonable resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back