Plumbing problem, slip on tub sprout leak at wall

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking about those slip on tub sprout that forces water to go to the shower head if you pull the handle at the tip. It is in a bathroom that I haven't used since I bought the house years ago (guest room). I'm expecting a guest this weekend so I test it out and found that it is leaking at the front. I've replaced it before in my other bathroom so I decided to replace this one myself.

I use a hex key to loosen it and slip on a new one, then tighten it and test. Water stream out of the rear as well as the front.

The instruction on the packaging said that the stub out nipple from wall surface must be between 2" to 3" long, but mine is only 1" from the wall. It also said not to over tighten the hex key when install, or may risk permanent damage to the stub out nipple. I felt it while sanding off deposits and sure enough, it was over tightened in the past and bend inward where the hex key meet the tube/nipple.

I see where the O ring mark land on the nipple and found old Teflon tape when I took the old one out. I tried new Teflon tape but it is still leaking in the back. To be safe I use plumbing putty to seal the wall just in case water leaks into the wall, but I know that it is not going to be a perfect seal and I need to find a way to fix it once and for all.

Any suggestion? Do I need to cut and weld a new piece of copper just for this? Should I caulk it with silicon caulk? automotive grade gasket maker? My main concern is if I use caulk or gasket maker it would be very difficult to replace it next time.

DSC03638.JPG

DSC03634.JPG

You might try a small "tailpipe expander" to ream the thing round.

Since you're talking about welding copper (you need to solder it), maybe a plumber would be useful.

Find a new slip on spout that will work on your 1" copper pipe rather than one that requires 2 or 3 inches. You have the wrong spout and it's never going to seal if you don't have enough of a stub sticking out.

Once you have the correct spout, sand the stub so it's free of burrs and residue, then coat it with a dab of silicone gel so the O ring on your new spout won't get nicked or rolled out of place. Then gently put the new spout on and tighten it.

Took a second look with a flash light and pick out all the stuff in the wall. Found that plastic to be a piece of the sprout from 2 sprouts ago and the last owner decided to just stuff it in there for decoration. The pipe is soldered into the T so unscrewing it out for a new, longer piece is a no go.

Is there really a slip on sprout that works for 1" pipe length? Where can I find it? All I can find are for C.W.T (clockwise thread, I assume) instead of slip fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back