Plug Wires for 1992 Buick Roadmaster

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I have a tenant if mine who is a wonderful older lady. She loves her 1992 roadmaster . I need to put some plug wires on it.

It has the cap in the rear and its a older 350 SBC 180hp version, it runs really nice.

What do yo suggest i do for plug wires ? I live 83 miles away so i want quality .. not El Cepo crap.

Thanks
Steve is the Oil Guy

NGK makes a nice set of wires. They are numbered and come in a pretty blue color
smile.gif

For the plugs themselves, get the Denso Iridium TT

Originally Posted by atikovi
AC DELCO 708S OEM wires.

+1 AC Delco OE wires. With an unknown maintenance history at that age I would consider cap, rotor and coil.
The coil can weaken with age/use causing misfires under load and other performance issues.

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
NGK makes a nice set of wires. They are numbered and come in a pretty blue color
smile.gif

OK, I need to hear the logic behind using $10 a piece spark plugs in a nearly 30 year old car, with a non-LT1 350, that is driven by a lady who is probably in her 80's.... when the engine came with, and will perform perfectly fine, on any standard spark plug at a fraction of the cost?

What are we trying to gain here? I drove a '92 Roadmaster for years, and know the beast quite well.

The Iridium TT is $5.35 and the Platinum TT is only $1.92. I would use the Platinum over conventional for the extra $0.50ea. Easier starting, less strain on the coil and a much longer life. Saving the labor of 2 additional plug changes on a V8 is worth $4.00 to me all day long.

I've had cheap platinum plugs fall apart. For only a few miles per year, conventional plugs would be the choice. If they need replacing at all.

In the past only Packard knew how to make HT wires that didn't leak. They had the knowledge and "special sauce".

So If Packard is supplier to Delco go with them for sure.

NGK shouldn't go anywhere near a GM.

New Quality (NAPA) Alkyd cap and rotor on the HEI dist. or Genuine Delco from a GM dealer parts counter.

You should also pull the module in the DIST base and reappply heatsink compound to the underside.

There is a major failure mode.

I would be hesitant about using an extended tip spaerk plug in this application.

Either exact AC plugs or Champions at spec gap.

The HEI throws some fire in the hole so no need to go 0,005 tighter on the gap new.

- Ken

Originally Posted by mk378
I've had cheap platinum plugs fall apart. For only a few miles per year, conventional plugs would be the choice. If they need replacing at all.

Denso TT is not a cheap platinum plug, Rock Auto just happens to have a good price on them.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
In the past only Packard knew how to make HT wires that didn't leak. They had the knowledge and "special sauce".

So If Packard is supplier to Delco go with them for sure.

NGK shouldn't go anywhere near a GM.

New Quality (NAPA) Alkyd cap and rotor on the HEI dist. or Genuine Delco from a GM dealer parts counter.

You should also pull the module in the DIST base and reappply heatsink compound to the underside.

There is a major failure mode.

I would be hesitant about using an extended tip spaerk plug in this application.

Either exact AC plugs or Champions at spec gap.

The HEI throws some fire in the hole so no need to go 0,005 tighter on the gap new.

- Ken

What? NGK shouldn't go anywhere near a GM? where did you get that info? NGK makes some of the AC Delco plugs and many GM engines come OE with NGK plugs in them. LOL
The blue NGK wires are excellent its just the AC Delco OE (not the Professional) lengths are more accurate for a better fit.
The UNITED MOTOR PRODUCTS DC840X blue cap is one of the best, the black United (non brass terminals) has the same aluminum terminals as the OE Delco.

I cant tell the difference between the United blue and the Standard Blue Streak which were arguably the best cap, rotor and points on the market back in the day. The WVE are also very good parts and the caps also have solid brass terminals, WVE is NGK.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
smile.gif

OK, I need to hear the logic behind using $10 a piece spark plugs in a nearly 30 year old car, with a non-LT1 350, that is driven by a lady who is probably in her 80's.... when the engine came with, and will perform perfectly fine, on any standard spark plug at a fraction of the cost?

What are we trying to gain here? I drove a '92 Roadmaster for years, and know the beast quite well.

They are not $10 each. Closer to $5 each.

You want iridium in cases where the job is difficult, so you won't have to do them again for a long time. If the plugs are easy to replace, then using something cheaper is OK

How big is the job on the 92 Roadmaster?

I'd Delco all the things(cap/rotor/wires). Supposedly Rock carries a brand of wires that use Delphi Packard cable.

As for plugs, I generally like to stick with Delco too, but American pushrod V6/V8s can be knucklebusters for plug access. I'd look at the double-Pt Delco or Autolite Iridium XP for that. The Delco plug will more than like be an NGK but also more expensive than the Autolite. But you won't be pulling plugs as often. GM doesn't make spark plugs anymore, they source from Autolite, Federal-Mogul(Champion) or NGK.

I would also consider NGK's G-Power single-Pt, Denso's Platinum TT or Bosch's OE Finewire Pt/Ir plugs too. I've installed the NGKs for a friend's Explorer but judging by how much skin and blood I lost I should have went with Autolite XPs instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back