Plug-in Electric F-150 Possible as Early as Model Year 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Cujet
The Tesla semi uses a 26,000 pound battery. Giving up to 500 miles of range. 2kwh per mile at 25c per kWh at superchargers. Cost, 50c per mile. Or about 50% more than diesel. And only 2/3 the frieght capacity due to the 26,000 pound battery.

yep, serves to prove that EV's are Not Ready for Prime Time. Tesla = boutique vehicles for the risk takers.

Originally Posted by Cujet
The Tesla semi uses a 26,000 pound battery. Giving up to 500 miles of range. 2kwh per mile at 25c per kWh at superchargers. Cost, 50c per mile. Or about 50% more than diesel. And only 2/3 the frieght capacity due to the 26,000 pound battery.

What's your source that confirms the battery weighs 26,000 lbs?

Originally Posted by PimTac
I wonder if these electric pickups are being made mainly for municipal government fleets and other short range fleets? They would make sense in this regard.

Some states are also driving this. Ford doesn't want to lose fleet/government sales in CA/OR/WA with their GHG mandates. If their bus fleets are going all electric or fuel cell hybrid, having electric F-150s for maintenance trucks only makes sense.

I can see these all over SF as work trucks. Especially with all the traffic there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by E365

Tesla truck will start under $50k

Possible? Yes. But it's not likely you will get what you want for your $50K.

I find it interesting that $50K is exactly how much a bare 150Kwh battery costs (the minimum size necessary to make an F150 sized pickup viable) .

There is no question EV's are wicked-cool and have fantastic acceleration. But despite all the sugar-coated press releases, the reality is that EV's are little more than limited range, expensive and risky technology vehicles. (battery replacement costs are staggering) and I'm not yet convinced batteries, motors or controllers will last 20+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back