Plug-in Electric F-150 Possible as Early as Model Year 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.thedrive.com/news/29726...up-truck-could-hit-market-in-2021-report

Interesting, and while I like innovation and like to see a major auto maker step up and produce a vehicle that will be more affordable and more capable than the products from a boutique manufacturer, I don't see these trucks selling strongly for a while but who knows. The three things holding EV's back as I see it are charging infrastructure, charging time, and initial purchase price.

I would love to see and own one of these. There was a day when I thought this EV stuff was total nonsense but after seeing and reading about Tesla's I am a believer. I hope they make it so they don't rust out so fast because I believe an EV would last a lot longer than a gas powered pickup.

Plug in electrics? No thanks. The limited range, long charging times, and cost premium make it a foolish purchase. I can buy several years worth of gas for the additional cost of an electric.

Add to that, if there's ever an extended electrical outage (like there is during a hurricane here or an ice storm for the northern folks) you loose your ability to charge it up. I can store a few gallons of extra gas for the pickup if needed, but I can't store extra electricity for an electric vehicle. With the longer range of a gas vehicle, I can always drive out of the power outage area to get gas, but that's severely limited with an electric. When we lost power for a couple days from hurricane Michael we drove up to Ozark to fill the gas tanks and cans, but that's not an option for an electric.

Hmm. These days, for what I use my truck for, it might work. I use it for short trips around town it seems, and never to its max.

Still. I'd rather have a short range car and just take the truck for any long distance driving.

But to each their own. We'll see how the electric truck experiment works out. I think it might work well for fleets and company trucks, but I know it'd work in some suburban areas too for certain users.

This weekend, I drove my 3.5L Ecoboost from S. FL to upstate NY. It was loaded up with a 48V golf cart in the bed and aircraft jacks/supplies. I was able to go 450 miles between fill ups at 81 MPH. Took me just under 19 hours driving time. 3 fuel stops. Longest break, 15 minutes to get a sandwich.

A Tesla SUV with 250 mile range requires 14 charge stops, 8 of which are for an hour. The rest are 30-40 minutes. Drive time 30 hours 14 minutes. AND, I am not at all sure it can do it at 81MPH.

Sorry, but that does not work for me.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cujet
This weekend, I drove my 3.5L Ecoboost from S. FL to upstate NY. It was loaded up with a 48V golf cart in the bed and aircraft jacks/supplies. I was able to go 450 miles between fill ups at 81 MPH. Took me just under 19 hours driving time. 3 fuel stops. Longest break, 15 minutes to get a sandwich.

A Tesla SUV with 250 mile range requires 14 charge stops, 8 of which are for an hour. The rest are 30-40 minutes. Drive time 30 hours 14 minutes. AND, I am not at all sure it can do it at 81MPH.

Even with a Model S long range, it's not an ideal trip.

[Linked Image]

I wonder if these electric pickups are being made mainly for municipal government fleets and other short range fleets? They would make sense in this regard.

Originally Posted by glock19
Cujet said:

Even with a Model S long range, it's not an ideal trip.

I took 95 to 26 to 77 to 81 to 84 to 87. Mostly to avoid the massive traffic jams in NJ last night.

On a trip like that, going slower in an EV may get you there faster. As consumption is lower.

Can't wait to see what Ford comes up with.

The Tesla pickup will almost certainly out-tow any other light duty pickup on the market. Elon laughed at a Ram towing 12,000 lbs.

What charging stations do you see that will allow a truck to charge the battery while having a travel trailer hitched up?

[Linked Image]

Plug in stations are often not working, or occupied for hours on end, just a bad idea to depend on them. One needs to rely on charging at home only. That means these electric vehicles should stay within a hundred miles or so of home. No long trips.
Put a 3 cylinder Ford 1.0L engine on it and a gas tank to recharge the batteries (Serial Hybrid), and then they've got a general purpose pickup for long trips.

Originally Posted by skyactiv
What charging stations do you see that will allow a truck to charge the battery while having a travel trailer hitched up?

[Linked Image]

The pull-through type.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by E365
Elon laughed at a Ram towing 12,000 lbs.

Expect any different ?

The Ram won't cost $ 93,799 though.

There was a time 100 years ago a combustion engine vehicle probably couldn't drive from NY to Florida without breaking down every 100mi.

Technology will advance. Give it 15-20yrs and EVs will be able to go 1-2k miles on a single charge.

A 200kw battery would net ~600mi today but the price would be expensive. It's not that Elon or Ford can't build a vehicle with a 1k mile range. The issue is no one wants to pay $350k to have an EV that can accomplish that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by donnyj08
There was a time 100 years ago a combustion engine vehicle probably couldn't drive from NY to Florida without breaking down every 100mi.

Technology will advance. Give it 15-20yrs and EVs will be able to go 1-2k miles on a single charge.

A 200kw battery would net ~600mi today but the price would be expensive. It's not that Elon or Ford can't build a vehicle with a 1k mile range. The issue is no one wants to pay $350k to have an EV that can accomplish that.

What will these hypothetical cells utilize, Unicorn Dust?

The Tesla semi uses a 26,000 pound battery. Giving up to 500 miles of range. 2kwh per mile at 25c per kWh at superchargers. Cost, 50c per mile. Or about 50% more than diesel. And only 2/3 the frieght capacity due to the 26,000 pound battery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back