Plug a power strip into a surge protector? - Hear me out!

I am asking a dummy question, but know before I ask that I am far more knowledgeable than most regarding electricity. I am one of the psychos that literally has an organized chart/map of every single breaker, circuit, outlet, etc. of the entire house. Also keep in mind my household is only two adults (no kids/pets/etc.) So here it goes:

Using common sense, is there any legitimate technical reason I cannot plug a power strip with a 4ft cord into a surge protector with an 8ft cord? WAIT! Here's the asterisk... The ONLY reason for doing this is to add an "on/off" switch to a 100W 2.1 sound system (computer speakers) that otherwise has no way of turning off the power without yanking the plug from the surge protector EVERY single time. I intend to use the power strip's on/off to accomplish this. For clarity, this will be the ONLY device EVER plugged into the power strip. If it makes skeptics feel better, I will use safety plugs to cover any unused outlets and write "NO!" on them with a Sharpie in case an unsuspecting guest gets any ideas. I am not overloading the strip, not overloading the surge protector (only a computer, monitor, small printer, and an LED lamp plugged in), and not overloading the circuit/breaker the surge protector is plugged into (there are only two receptacles/four outlets on this circuit and nothing else. There is nothing plugged into the second receptacle). The wiring is 14/2, and is on a 15A breaker, so the 80% ceiling is 1440W, but I round down to 1400 even for extra cushion. I'm nowhere near that. My Kill-a-Watt meter confirms this.

Now that you understand that I understand the rules behind the question, and you hopefully understand that I am asking about a technicality with all other electricity rules satisfied, what do you all think? I see no reason why not, but if you do, please state why backed with facts. Thanks!

Last edited:
I wanted to state separately from my OP that if the answer to this question is no, then I have a backup plan ready. I will simply buy an inline power switch which is 100% safe, but it will be a hassle to turn on/off due to the outlet location being behind my desk. I essentially asked my original question for convenience reasons.

As long as your are not close to overloading the circuit, power strip and surge protector, I don't see anything wrong with your intentions. You are only going to have computer speakers plugged in to the strip. Many good power strips already have a surge protector built in and you would not need an external one.

Last edited:
Are these computer speakers only in use when the computer is on?

You could get a smart plug via x10.com or any number of vendors that the computer controls, and have it start via commands in your autoexec.bat. Write another "shutdown" batch file.

If i am reading and understanding right ! i do not see an issue , if an overload where to happen the surge protector should handle the issue ?

You could get a smart plug via x10.com or any number of vendors that the computer controls, and have it start via commands in your autoexec.bat. Write another "shutdown" batch file.

I had an APC surge protector, and their warranty/device protection guarantee said that daisy chaining would still provide the same guarantees if they were all APC power strips/boxes.

That being said, I don't really see a problem. There might be breakers (or occasionally fuses) as well as the surge protection, but for the most part it's really like direct wires. As long as it's not overloaded it should be fine. There might be small power losses from that additional length and circuitry. It's not likely to make that much of a difference since most US outlets are 120V but most devices are actually specified for 110-120V.

Let me guess, you will turn it off with your foot. Dirt, dead skin will get into the switch and short out the switch and burn your house down. :)

How much power is the system drawing when no sound is going through it? I is really worth the hassle of switching it on and off. Calculate watts and compare to your cents/KWh rate on our electric bill. I'm sure it will be a pittance. As for electronics lasting longer, my 1980s Kenwood receiver has been on for 30 years. still kicking.

As others have said, unless any individual component (power strip, surge protector) or the circuit are overloaded, I can't see what issue could arise.

Many good power strips already have a surge protector built in and you would not need an external one.
Most "surge protectors" on the market are a sad excuse or a bad joke. My existing 8ft surge protector is a high-end unit with over 3,000 joules and a 330V clamp voltage. If you don't know what clamp voltage is, you've probably bought one of those pathetic "surge protectors" a.k.a. glorified power strips. Regardless, it is my understanding that nobody should ever plug a surge protector into another surge protector. It's not only redundant but also a waste of money and/or a hazard. That's why I'm specifically seeking out a simple power strip.

I am very fluent in hardware. I'm building a high-end PC from scratch as I type this. But I am one of the most ignorant people out there regarding sofware and especially commands/coding. Plus I'm extremely anti-smart-anything. Call me old school, but I value my privacy and don't want to be listened to. I appreciate the advice I would have never thought of myself, but that's not an option for me.

What's a Kill-a-Watt meter?
Here's a link to mine.

Let me guess, you will turn it off with your foot. Dirt, dead skin will get into the switch and short out the switch and burn your house down. :)

How much power is the system drawing when no sound is going through it? I is really worth the hassle of switching it on and off. Calculate watts and compare to your cents/KWh rate on our electric bill. I'm sure it will be a pittance. As for electronics lasting longer, my 1980s Kenwood receiver has been on for 30 years. still kicking.
No on the first set of assumptions. For the second part, it IS worth the hassle, because every Watt counts.

I have one.
But totally different than what OP is looking for.

That’s like asking about cars and someone offers advice on a tractor.

I am doing exactly that right now under my feet. I have a surge protector/power strip powering my laptop, and two monitors, and another power strip plugged into that powering my 25 watt/channel tube amp for my desk sound system.

I’m not saying it’s the correct thing to do, but I had a small desktop space heater plugged into a power strip shared with my radio and phone charger that was subsequently plugged into a 10ft extension cord at work (my hands used to be in coolant all day, they’d get cold in the winter) and everything was fine. You’ll be perfectly fine with what you’re doing.

Back