Please school me on 1st gen tundra

Our 2001 recently turned 200K and runs like new. The timing belt was done at 130K by a shop. I am the 2nd owner.
When I got it, I changed all the fluids, installed a set of Bilsteins to stiffen it up and found a set of FJ wheels.
I put in a double din Android Auto radio and backup camera. It just runs and runs.
I love this truck. Lousy mileage...
IMG_20200907_161419.jpg

Last edited:
Watch out for frame rust, I worked with a guy that had one, when he had purchased it the frame had just been replaced. I think there was a recall or extended warranty on the frames of some of them.

Dad's 2001 Tundra 4.7 w/185K that's still kicking butt. Timing belt done at dealer (which they can do it in hours vs days if I were to DIY it). V6 TB R&R is a lot easier for a moderate n00b. All fluids changed religiously. Original frame. Watch for frame rust, leaky exhaust manifolds, valve cover leaks which can leak into the spark plug wells which make it a PITA to clean up. Do valve cover gaskets with spark plug change if spark plugs haven't been touched.

Low range as in 4WD Low? It has a electronically actuated transfer case w/ 4HI and 4LO.

IMG_0152.JPG

Last edited:
V8 timing belt isn't a horrible job, just takes some time.

Good, solid trucks, although in the NE I suspect many have frame rust issues. Toyota replaced quite a few under recall.

On the 2000-02 versions, the factory front brakes were undersized. They increased them in 2003 and there was a TSB that allowed for upgrade at one time if there were issues.

2005 and 2006 V8 models received a slight bump in HP and a 5 speed automatic. The 5 speed has the same OD gearing and rear axle ratio as the 4 speed, so it didn't improve gas mileage. It only made the ATF fluid checks and refills more difficult (removed the dipstick).

2000-04 use a replaceable fuel filter mounted on the frame rail on the drivers side. This disappeared in 2005. May not be a big deal since most cars and trucks now don't have them.

I think they are really good trucks. I drove a 1st gen for over 200k miles and recently replaced it with a newer one.

Last edited:
I own one a TRD model. I am never selling it. 162,000 miles on it. I bought a set of the Denso spark plugs to change but will wait until the spring. They cost $1.66 each at the dealership. I would just let the dealership change the timing belt.

Mine is parked outside and I had the Toyota rust recall mine got the frame rust treatment which is wax inside and outside the frame. That was 8 years ago and none of it has chipped off. Mine has the transmission dipstick and drain plug so super easy to change the ATF. The engine does not use a drop of oil between changes the dipstick reads Full. Yes it has 4WD low range. I put it in 4WD Low and 1st gear and it climbs up onto Rhino ramps without having to put foot on the accelerator.

Thankyou gentlemen. My last 4wds were Grand Wagoneers. So low MPG doesn't scare me. I'm impressed by my extended family's various Toyotas, so we bought a pair of Camrys. In 4 yrs, I've bought a battery, a set of snow tires and done 5 oil changes. Not too bad for 2 cars. Tacomas are like freaken gold in MA. Tundras are very reasonable used mostly because the extended cabs with jump seats are used work trucks. The 4dr,short cab, family truckster is no bargain either. I want something for stuff that wont fit in the Camry and an occasional beach run. First thing I'm gonna buy is a battery minder for it. I'm aware of Toyota's frame troubles, I figure most survivor's are on new frames. However, is there any way I can tell if it has been replaced, like a tag or a sticker?

I believe certain years have a hand grenade auto transmission; my friends 2002 has been a very reliable vehicle; needing a steering rack and starter (under the intake)

Probably about 250K on it now.

The only transmission weakness is in the gen 1 4 speed. grenade is probably a bit of an exaggeration. OD can shrapnel if used while towing a lot; the metal is too soft for it to handle towing loads, according to the internet.

I had a gen 2 with the 5 speed. It was the most reliable vehicle Ive ever owned. Thirsty pig with a small gas tank, especially for towing, but solid. Brakes weren’t great, but fine driven empty. Using aggressive pads and oem shoes worked best.

headlight refelectors grayed with age, which responded decently to disassembling and polishing.

2 other notes ... the starter is buried under the intake, which is only a big deal if you have to replace it. And there’s an electric air injection pump which runs on cold start, which sometimes wears out with age. It pumps air into the exhaust to help light the cats. I sold mine at 150,000 and the only moderate repairs mine needed were axle bearings, u-joints and center driveshaft carrier bearing. I think it needed valve cover gaskets for a minor leak around 130. At least two of its owners towed heavy with it, so axle and driveline bearings were understandable.

great trucks. my “new“ 2018 f150 has already had more problems than the tundra did.

m

They are great trucks. Don’t ever really see them in my area anymore even though I’m in the south. The timing belt shouldn’t be hard to do. You will like it if you get one.

The only transmission weakness is in the gen 1 4 speed. grenade is probably a bit of an exaggeration. OD can shrapnel if used while towing a lot; the metal is too soft for it to handle towing loads, according to the internet.

Granted, but I will stand by my assessment; it only grenades if you use a truck for a purpose for which many buy a truck. That being said, i would have no issues purchasing a used one if it regularly hauled casual loads in the bed.

My friends is an outstandingly reliable vehicle.

I had an '02 .Great truck. Seats were the only thing I didnt like.
Never see them around.
I went to California three years ago I saw them everywhere.
Might be better to shop out west if possible.

I dont have the Tundra, but I do have a 2001 Sequoia which is about 95% the same mechanically. The fragile 4-speed transmission issue was fixed starting in 2003. The problem was a Torrington bearing that rode against the 4th gear planetary was improperly hardened and undersized for the application. That said, I have 160,000 on mine and I don't tow in overdrive so mine has been fine so far (knock on wood!). The other comments here pretty much covered most everything. Mine had the frame replaced under the recall so I plan to keep it until it dies.

Changing the timing belt on the 4.7 V8 is time consuming but not really difficult. I did mine at 90,000 and working at a very, very relaxed pace took about 8 hours. I could easily shave several hours off that now that I have done it before.

Gf's dad has an 00 with 285k on it. He's a landscaper so is always carrying something in the bed. Great truck for him & easy to wrench on when needed.

Back