Please Recommend Oil for my Pentastar 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Just picked up a '13 Jeep Wrangler and would like to decide what oil to use. I plan on changing my oil at 1k miles, 4k miles and then 10k miles. I am planning on doing 6k intervals for the life of the motor, maybe go longer after sending in for an analysis. I would ideally like to do 10k intervals with a filter change every 5k but I guess the oil analysis will tell me what I can do.

I was planning on using an inexpensive synthetic for my first change at 1k since it will only be used for 3k miles, and then move on to a more expensive oil for the 6k intervals.

I was thinking Mobil 1 for first change since its cheap at Autozone, and then switch over to something else.

So my friendly oil analyzers and scientists, what do you recommend for me?

Use what Chrysler tells you to until warranty expires,them change over to a longer drain oil if you choose to.
I'd use conventionals at the intervals you mentioned in the start of your thread. Why spend more than you have to,especially at such short drains.

For those oil intervals any conventional oil will do just fine at 6K, full synthetic will not offer any better protection. For 10K using a full synthetic may be better justified. Don't bother changing out a filter 5K, any good quality filter P1, Wix, Fram Ultra, and many more can go 10K with no problems.

This ones specs 5w20 correct? If you want a good compromise use with Quaker State Ultimately Durability very reasonably priced at 20.94/5qt jug and has certifications to back it up.

Hello

Mobil 1 no longer meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec (you can visit the site or check the bottle). I used this oil for years and would still be using it but I need to remain in compliance with my warranty. From my understanding the oil itself hasn't changed its more a financial thing between Chrysler and Mobil.

As such with the purchase of my Magnum and now my Challenger I switched over to PU (Pennzoil Ultra). I buy bulk when its on sales and is usually only a few dollars more then Pennzoil Plus. Both meet Chrylser spec and I would recommend either

I would suggest Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (PYB) for your first short changes for its cleaning ability (and its an excelellent product). I did mine at 1000 miles and 3000 miles and then used systhetic

Last edited:
On our Town & Country the service interval is 8000 or when the oil change monitor goes off.

I'm currently using Pennzoil Ultra and a Wix filter. There are now more filter options than ever for this engine. Took a few years to get them on the market.

I'm in the middle of a 7500 mile interval and plan to sample at the end and see how everything ends up before I continue on with 7500 mile intervals considering my wife's driving.

Have you guys been running 5w20 or 5w30? I have been hearing mixed opinions on this.

Thanks guys. I'll use PYB 5w30 for my first 2 changes, and decide on my Synthetic down the line.

I've always been such a sucker for Amsoil advertising I have to actually fight myself to not use it. LOL

What kind of change intervals could I get with top of the line Amsoil 5w30 synthetic?

Originally Posted By: TKNY
Thanks guys. I'll use PYB 5w30 for my first 2 changes, and decide on my Synthetic down the line.

I've always been such a sucker for Amsoil advertising I have to actually fight myself to not use it. LOL

What kind of change intervals could I get with top of the line Amsoil 5w30 synthetic?

Good to use conventional the first couple oil changes.

Using Amsoil Signature you could prob get 10k out of it easy. But i would stay at Chrysler's recommended oil change intervals during your warranty period.

Originally Posted By: TKNY
Hey guys,

Just picked up a '13 Jeep Wrangler and would like to decide what oil to use. I plan on changing my oil at 1k miles, 4k miles and then 10k miles. I am planning on doing 6k intervals for the life of the motor, maybe go longer after sending in for an analysis. I would ideally like to do 10k intervals with a filter change every 5k but I guess the oil analysis will tell me what I can do.

I was planning on using an inexpensive synthetic for my first change at 1k since it will only be used for 3k miles, and then move on to a more expensive oil for the 6k intervals.

I was thinking Mobil 1 for first change since its cheap at Autozone, and then switch over to something else.

So my friendly oil analyzers and scientists, what do you recommend for me?

Everything you need to know is right in your owner's manual as far as oil weight, ratings, and oil change intervals. That is where you should start with a new vehicle with warranty to protect. Find out what the mfg requires and then decide from there between the avaiilable oils that meet those requirements.

2013 Jeep Wrangler
Owner's Manual Page 575-576

Your vehicle has an OLM. You can go by it if you choose. However you also have a maximum time/mileage limit that applies if the OLM does not trip by that max limit. The max limit for your vehicle is 1 year OR 10,000 miles( whichever comes 1st ). So you are fine with your 1 year 10K OCI plan. Chrysler allows for that OCI in writing. Just remember if you reach 10K before a year, or reach a year before 10K, you have to change the oil anwyay.

Your vehicle manual calls for a 5W20 oil, w/ the API Starburst, and that meets/exceds Chrysler MS6395. If you can not find a 5W20 that meets/exceeds MS 6395 the manual says you can use a 5W30 that meets/exceeds Fiat 9.55535-S1 or Fiat 9.55535-S3. You shouldn't have any problem finding a 5W20 that carries the API Starburst and that meets/exceeds Chrysler MS-6395 however.

You do NOT have to use an oil that is officially certified to MS-6395. Just that meets/exceeds it. Someone mentioned Mobil 1 earlier. While it is no longer officially certified you can rest assured it meets or exceeds all performance requirements and is fine to use if you wish to. The hold up is not money as another member said it is because Chrysler added a ridiculous multi-year test requirement to the certification process which delays the ability to get certified. Mobil 1 would be a perfectly fine choice.

I personally would run synthetic if you plan to go a year and 10K. IMO that is pushing even the best conventional oil too far. You say you like Amsoil and if so they have an oil that meets all of your needs and warranty requirements and that can go 1 year/10K with ease. That is Amsoil XL. XL is API certified w/ Starburst, is available in 5W20, and meets/exceeds Chrysler MS-6395. They also have Amsoil OE that also meets all of your needs/requirements but 10K might be pushing it's service life. For like $1 more a qt go with the XL.

Other options for you to consider that are available in 5W20, carry the API Starburst, and meet/exceed Chrysler MS-6395 would be...

Royal Purple( API Licensed formula )
Kendall GT-1 w/ Liquid Titanium
Pennzoil Platinum
Pennzoil Ultra
Quaker State Ultimate Durability

On a 1 year/10K OCI I would use a premium filter like RP, Amsoil, Mobil 1, K&N, Purolator Synthetic or PureOne, Bosch D+, etc...

Seeing as you asked for our opinion as well I will give mine. Below is my thoughts on oils to use in order...

RP API 5W20
Kendall GT-1 w/ Liquid Titanium
Amsoil XL 5W20( if you wish to use Amsoil )

I would use the RP filter as my 1st choice. If I couldn't get an RP filter( think the new 3.6L uses a cartridge filter that has limited options right now )I would use one of the following = Mobil 1, Purloator Synthetic, or Bosch D+, or Purolator PureOne.

Last edited:
The first OCI is critical - let it go 2.5 - 3K though 1k is way way too soon. #1 oci should still be a nice oil with no fuel mileage enhancing additives to aid break in ( thoigh 15-20K still seems to be the full break in point no matter what i run). On my Honda, QS Defy 5w20 worked well. You dont have to tell them you changed the oil
smile.gif
Ive broken in over 60 engines over the years - things are tougher with the E10 fuel and the low / mid saps oils.

For now, Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 is an easy to find oil that meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
For now, Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 is an easy to find oil that meets the Chrysler MS-6395 spec.

Mobil 1 does not carry that spec.

It's not certified, but Mobil says it exceeds the spec. Not everything is officially documented with every oil even though it exceeds the spec.

I am no fan of Mobil here however I have a hard time believing that the Chrysler spec is so demanding that mobil's 20 grades/30 grades don't meet or exceed it.
That is a very large market that Mobil would be excluding themselves from.
I used the afe 0w-20 in my hemi this winter and the truck started easily even on those -40 mornings,not plugged in.
If its really that big of a concern email Mobil and ask. Their customer service is usually pretty good.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The hold up is not money as another member said it is because Chrysler added a ridiculous multi-year test requirement to the certification process which delays the ability to get certified.

Hello NHEMI, you provided the OP great info but just wanted to add my comments as you are referring to me in this comment.

As I mentioned I have been using Mobil 1 for many many years and had planned to do so. When I learned on a Mopar forum the Chrysler spec was dropped and (for the reason you stated above which is also stated on their website) I reluctantly changed brands only after I did some reserach

I decided to call Chrysler through a engineering support contact my dealer gave me and I asked the same question. I didnt get a call back for a couple of weeks but eventually an engineer called me. This was not an issue of Mobil not having enough time as all the oil manufacturers are actively involved. How would other manufacturers have the lead time and Mobil would not. He stated there was ongoing fee involved for use of the spec and would not provided details beyond that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: cmorr
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The hold up is not money as another member said it is because Chrysler added a ridiculous multi-year test requirement to the certification process which delays the ability to get certified.

Hello NHEMI, you provided the OP great info but just wanted to add my comments as you are referring to me in this comment.

As I mentioned I have been using Mobil 1 for many many years and had planned to do so. When I learned on a Mopar forum the Chrysler spec was dropped and (for the reason you stated above which is also stated on their website) I reluctantly changed brands only after I did some reserach

I decided to call Chrysler through a engineering support contact my dealer gave me and I asked the same question. I didnt get a call back for a couple of weeks but eventually an engineer called me. This was not an issue of Mobil not having enough time as all the oil manufacturers are actively involved. How would other manufacturers have the lead time and Mobil would not. He stated there was ongoing fee involved for use of the spec and would not provided details beyond that.

I don't believe for a 2nd it is about the money. Mobil goes for every mfg's cert there is. Money is not the issue for them regardless of what Chrysler told you(IMO). If money was an issue they wouldn't go through it for all these different cert's. This is directly from Mobil's website and I personally believe it is the basic truth...

Originally Posted By: "Mobil 1 FAQ"

Question:
Mobil 1 5W-20 and Chrysler MS-6395
Why is your Mobil 1 5W-20 not Chrysler MS-6395 spec approved? Or if it is, why is the certification not on the bottle or website?
-- Josh Eads, Cabot, AR

Answer:
Chrysler’s latest revision to the MS-6395 specification calls for a field trial spanning multiple seasons over two years. While we fully expect the exceptional performance of Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil to meet Chrysler’s specification requirements, at this time we are in the process of evaluating our timeline to start this testing.

In the end it is a moot point as Mobil 1 most assuredly meets/exceeds the performance aspects of Chrysler MS-6395 and that is ALL you need do to preserve warranty. You do not have to use an oil that is officially certified.

Chrysler is getting to be as bad as GM( dexos )with these stupid requirements to get certified. All oil mfg's should tell these car mfg's to go pound sand as far as official certification.

Last edited:
Guys I was just reading about PYB and it says it is formulated with active cleaning agents. I remember hearing somewhere that for break in oil you don't want to use too much cleaning agent.

Any opinions?

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: 147_Grain

Mobil 1 does not carry that spec.

MEETING a spec and being CERTIFIED are two very different things. All the OP need do is use an oil that meets or exceeds the spec. The OP is not required to use an officially licensed/certified oil. Mobil 1 meets/exceeds MS-6395 without doubt I would say.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back