Please read this, mother of 3 killed by driver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
These things are always tragic. Believe me, I've seen it -- two days ago, I attended the funeral of a 19 year old family friend who died after a bad wreck in his pickup. He was well liked -- never seen so many bawling teenage girls in one place before. . .

There will be consequences for the driver of the truck. Typically, authorities pursue criminal charges only where the behavior involved was grossly negligent, reckless, intoxicated, or involved actual criminal intent. Normally, "simple" negligence (an "accident" so to speak) won't be the basis for criminal charges. But this guy probably will, and probably should be, the subject of a civil claim by the woman's family (i.e. sued if his ins co does not settle). From the few facts presented in the article, it looks like the investigating officer made the proper call (traffic citation vs. criminal charge).

Yep... Im involved in a similar thing right now. My car got smashed, the driver who caused the pileup was totally at fault... now we're screwed, wasting literally hundreds of hours over two years now to get resolution. The person 100% at fault? didnt even get a ticket.

Ours is smaller scale (fortunately) as there was no death or disability, but all the same, this sort of thing - no consequences for such apparent stupidity and inability to make the correct decision, pay the correct attention, or deal with a situation that has arose, is unacceptable. Livelihood or not, when such a circumstance as this arises, the driver should not be a driver any longer... and loose the privledge for a good long time.

JMH

quote:

The driver of the truck only got a ticket for killing a mother of three

What do you expect them to do at this point? The case isn't even completely investigated.

You can bet this case is already in the hands of a lawyer somewhere who will soon be pursuing charges in civil court, just as it should be.

It also doesn't mention if the motorcycle rider was wearing a helmet.

Granted that a combination of truck and motorcycle isnt the best mix for roadway safety in the case of an accident - helmet or not, but the described situation in the article - maybe I didnt read it right, but it seemed that the driver rolled over the head of the motorcycle rider after hitting them, then burning said rider, and not having the capacity to move their vehicle or be of use given the situation disgusts me.

At the end of the day, accidents do happen, but especially in severe situations like this, the faulty driver should be severely punished as a matter of procedure.

There arent enough penalties for idiocy, thus the reason why the roads and driving situation is as poor as it is, and the whole country is going down the tubes as it is.

JMH

A friend of mine was recently run over and killed. She was alone on her motorcycle and stopped at a red light. Drunk driver came up from behind and ran right over her. She was about one block from her home, on her way home. This sounds like a made up story, but she really was a teacher at an elementary school and just an all around good person that was liked by everyone. I don't know what happened to the drunk driver, presumably a vehicular homocide charge.

For the person that killed the mother of three, I don't know what is the appropriate punishment. Sometimes with even the best precautions, accidents still happen, and maybe that's what happened here.

Yo, guys, there are situations where you can do nothing wrong ..and do everything correctly and still fail to avoid an accident (not necessarily this accident - but maybe so). One that can result in death. There are also situations where you successfully avoid one peril ..and in doing so, encounter another (as in, "what would you, or anyone, have done under the circumstances?") I never agreed with the seeking of a pound of flesh just to relief others displaced anxiety. The general reaction is to SEEK some flaw in the otherwise law abiding civil citizen's actions ..and exploit it for the "mob". It relays a message that being "innocent" is not good enough in some instances and that society is vengeful and punitive for favorable behavior. It assumes that exceptional situations require exceptional performance ..from common people. It's a disingenous expectation and therefore an ideal that has no defensible rationale~ in any practical sense.

The guy is going to suffer for being part of it.

The article tells me the truck pulled forward into the motorcycle which he thought wasn't there, then realized he hit the motorcyle so started to back up and didn't know the motorcyclist crawled under the truck to get out?
Sounds like an unfortunate accident.
unless the truck driver's intent was to kill the motorcyclist, what's any criminal prosection going to solve other than waste my tax dollars which should be used to improve roadways to prevent things like this from happening?
Worse than the accident and any negligence the truck driver may have had, will be the mentality of the woman's family seeking monetary compensation, asigning blame, and basically destroying the truck driver's life to make themselves feel better.

quote:

Manslaughter doesn't require fault, negligence, or anything else. I have seen prosecutions of lesser situations when no fault was involved.

I don't think so. There has to be some form of willfull negligence for manslaughter ...at least in every instance that I've ever heard of. The person was in voilation of some law/regulation at the time a death occured by their actions. Fighting ..speeding ...drinking ....ignoring warnings ..disregarding cautionary advice ..etc.

I agree completely with Gary's first post. Charging him criminally won't solve any problems. He never meant to do anything wrong according to what I read in that article. The jails are for those who intentionally commit harm, not for people involved in accidents, however tragic. That's what the civil court system is for.

I'll also point out that the motorcyclist accepted the risk that something like this could happen just by riding that bike. Motorcycles are an inherently dangerous form of transportation just by the very nature of only having two wheels and no form of occupant protection, except for a helmet, which is not a given in many states anymore. This situation is definitely tragic and unfortunate, but not criminal. I certainly feel for the family of the woman killed, but I would not advocate criminally punishing the truck driver. I certainly wouldn't bat an eyelash if the woman's family sues his butt off, though.

I just took time to fool around some with my truck. The front of its hood is 34'' off the ground. From the driver's seat, I can't see the ground until 15' out if front. A F 150 is going to have a much bigger blind spot. The article doesn't say how the truck came to be directly behind the motor cycle. You are obligated to keep an eye out for things before they disappear into your blind spots. Before this, I hadn't realized how counter productive buying something high for better visibility can be in some cases. Even in my Cavalier, the visibility to the rear stinks. With the slope of the driveway, when I back into the garage, I can't see anything. Wonder how many soccer moms have run over their kids with their big, safe SUVs.

Driving is one of the few regular activities where the average person can kill themselves or others with a moment's inattention. Our current legal system does more to transfer wealth than save lives.

quote:

Originally posted by Huhwhye:
There are 3 children without a mother. BTW the truck was an F150 so its not like he couldn't see in front of him. WOuld you feel the same way if it were a mother with a baby stroller? Would you feel the same way if it were your mother?

yeah, so send this guy to jail and if he has any kids 3 more kids without a father. If he doesn't, then all the more reason for him to be jailed, good f'ing solution.

If it were my mother, it would depend on the circumstances but if it was as I think it is and the guy was a decent person it was just a simple tragic accident then I'd forgive him. Unlike most people today who'd be ****** the rest of their life and look to take their hurt out on everyone else.
As for personal responsibility, how do I know the motorcyclist wasn't one of those arrogant riders, who cuts you off and expects everyone else to get out of their way, and she was the one recklessly moving out of the lot? Or maybe she wasn't a good rider in a busy intersection, or pulled out quick then stopped because of traffic and that decision caused the F150 guy to lose track of her?
your in Kalifornia, I'm in Ct, and the accident is in NC, nobody here knows jack but let's condemn the guy because the victim is never at fault right?

"There arent enough penalties for idiocy.......
It will show that there are consequences to your actions so you better pay attention when piloting a vehicle".

Careful, carma can be a m.f.

She assumed the risk because she was on a bike? Wow.

Something like this could happen walking across the street. Walking in the street is really dangerous, no helmet laws for that. This driver could have killed a pedestrian if the bike wasn't there and a pedestrian was.

Well I don't know how things work in that state. But here in CA I have seen the prosecution of a driver that struck and killed a person who was changing a tire late at night on the highway. There was no allegation or evidence the driver did anything wrong, but a death occured.

quote:

Originally posted by 1 FMF:

how do I know the motorcyclist wasn't one of those arrogant riders, who cuts you off and expects everyone else to get out of their way, and she was the one recklessly moving out of the lot? Or maybe she wasn't a good rider in a busy intersection, or pulled out quick then stopped because of traffic and that decision caused the F150 guy to lose track of her?
your in Kalifornia, I'm in Ct, and the accident is in NC, nobody here knows jack but let's condemn the guy because the victim is never at fault right?

You want to know? I do know Jack thank you. I know somebody close to the story that lives near the scene. I'll show you pictures of the DRIVEWAY where it happened. The rider was STOPPED waiting to merge.

Scroll to bottom of the page to see photos of driveway

Blame the victim. Seems to me plenty of witnesses saw what happened there.

quote:

She assumed the risk because she was on a bike? Wow.

Yes, she assumed a risk, just like everyone does every time they get in or on any vehicle. You assume a risk with EVERYTHING you do EVERY day for that matter. If you can't accept that, I'm sorry, but don't go around punishing people for things that are simple accidents. It irritates me every time I hear of a situation where people are either trying to legislate away some perceived risk or trying to punish someone who "should have known better" despite the fact that there was no criminal intent and the victim was doing something risky to begin with. As I said before, motorcycles are inherenty dangerous. If you can't accept that fact, you don't belong on a bike. I know I'll probably get flamed for this statement, but that mother should have thought about her family first before riding that bike. Had she been in a car, she would probably still be alive today.

quote:

So any motorcyclist that dies deserves it? That is your position? I'm glad we have that clear.

He didn't say anything like that ..and you know it. He stated that if you engage in high risk behaviors ..you accept the liablilty of the risk. It's that simple. If I'm a small airplane pilot, for example. The incidence of a crash may be rather low ..but any crash usually ends up in a fatality. It's the same with a motorcycle except that you may only get mamed istead.

..and YES, if you cannot accept the possibility of death as a result of riding ..if that breeze and the feeling of freedom isn't enough to make you forget about that ...then you should NOT be riding one. Whether or not this occurs to a rider doesn't negate THEIR responsibility to consider it as a possible outcome. The act itself is inherently unsafe when compared to other forms of transportation.

That all said, it's always a very sad situation that in many cases could have only been avoided by not being there to begin with.

Thank you Gary. I couldn't have stated it any more eloquently than that.
cheers.gif

For the record, no one deserves to die for anything. I'm very much a pro-life person on everything in life, but I'm also all about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. If you accept the risk of engaging in a certain behavior, you should be responsible for the outcome.

quote:

but I'm also all about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY. If you accept the risk of engaging in a certain behavior, you should be responsible for the outcome

by Matt_S

I agree, but not in your way. The truck driver should get what is coming to him, after all, he was the cause of everything here. She shouldn't be blamed for driving a motorcycle. He is responsible for his driving actions.

quote:

Worse than the accident and any negligence the truck driver may have had, will be the mentality of the woman's family seeking monetary compensation, asigning [sic]blame, and basically destroying the truck driver's life to make themselves feel better.

by 1 FMF

Worse than her DEATH by the driver is the fact the family may seek to hold him responsible. This is what you really think? Yes, the children were just waiting for their mom to be run over so they could get some money. I bet they feel lucky now!

"destroying the truck driver's life"
Heaven forbid his life is disrupted by killing a mother of three who was so uncaring as to chose a motorcycle for a ride instead of a car on that day. Clearly an outrageous act and deserving of her punishment.

Negligence the truck driver "may have had"? I'm guessing running over a person is not proper driving in any state; But feel free to correct me on this point.

It is a sad fact of life that accidents happen.

The fact that the woman had children does change the nature of the accident. Would this accident be somehow different if the victom was childless and 90 years old? Or, would it be different if she had been an eight year old orphan? Surely no one is suggesting that drivers can be less careful near nursing homes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back