please help me with my getrag 240

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I have a 1990 bmw e30 320i facelift with 250,000 k's / 155342 miles (if this website is United States based i dont think you got the 320i e30's), also (i am not a mechanic but the trans seems to shift ok, I am not aware of any problems so I doubt there are any major issues with it otherwise I would be able to tell. I thought during winter there was a slight but of resistance to shift into first gear when cold, but it did not trouble me).

I have only just signed up to these forums with pretty much one sole purpose, that is to find out the best fluid for my Getrag 240 5 speed manual tranmission.

I have spent hours browsing various bmw forums but there is so much conflicting information. I have read numerous things including sticker colours, use gear oil, use atf, atf was only recommended because when the cars were made no suitable gear oil was avaliable, flushing fluid in a high mileage transmission could cause damage and your better to just top it up.... I seriously could give myself a headache, because I am one of those guys stresses when he cant find clear information on the best solution.

Here are some of my thoughts:
My transmission has hex/allen key shaped drain and fill plugs i have read online this determines what fluid goes into the trans? true or more misleading information.

I cannot see a sticker on the trans (i have read online some had stickers), but I dont know where to look for a sticker and what if the sticker came off

It seems from reading on the internet you can use gear oil or atf, should I use the same as what is already in the trans (I have not had a look to see what is in there as I dont have the tool yet to open the drain and fill holes yet, but atf fluid is red isnt it?, where as gear oil would look like engine oil?)

Do you use the same fluid in the trans all year round? I am from New Zealand, the temperature (air temperature like on the news weather report) probably ranges from:
-5 to 35 degrees Celsius extreme / 23 - 95 fahrenheit extreme
5 - 30 degrees Celsius common / 41 fahrenheit - 86 fahrenheit common

So after getting stressed with all this differing information on what is best to use I have come here to these forums to hear from the experts. Please help me...

Ps: i am i real noob when it comes to trans fluids, i would appreciate it if you could be specific as possible on your recommendations, thanks

Last edited:
Use the thickest fluid that shifts well enough for you.

Amsoil MTG and Redline MT90 or 75w90
Redline MT85 is a 75w85
Amsoil MTF and Redline MTL are 75w80

Since its a manual transmission, I would always use something that is 'claimed' or 'rated' GL4, or GL5(without LSD additive). And, I'd avoid ATF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back