Please help me solve this brake noise!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I replaced the front and rear rotors and pads on the Mounty this week and now the driver side rear is making a rotational noise the gets more pronounced when swerving left and right. I pulled it apart again and re-greased the slides to no change. So I had the OL drive it and I rode next to her on a pedal bike and tried to decipher it better. I guess its the parking brake shoes scrubbing the rotor. I took it by a repair shop today and they said it is for sure "But it'll run ya $75 a side for me to have my guy clean it up for ya".

So I can do it myself, but what the F do I do? He said to look for a shiney spot where it is rubbing inside the rotor/drum and "clean" it up. [censored], Clean what? Do I grind the parking brake shoes (which miraculously looked excellent) or sand/grind the inside of the new rotor?

Retract the adjusting wheels fully for a start.
I'd sand (emory cloth) the inside of the rotor before grinding on the shoes. IMHO

Check the action of the parking brake cable. You live in a high salt location and the cable may be bound up. Also look at the release spring as this could also be subject to rust. FWIW-Oldtommy

Just be warned you will be sanding by hand a long time before you make any dent in removing material from a rotor using sand paper, and your hand.. Don't use a course paper either, I'm thinking around 400 grit maybe down to 300 for starting and finish with 400 wet or dry paper...

If it were me, and I did find the shiny spot mentioned in previous post etc... I would start wondering about the rotor I put on.. and if it's not to bad a job take it off, and replace it.. return rotor to where you purchased.. if the run out (if you have a dial indicator, and some patience u could set up a small jig to check run out of rotor) is that bad they should take it back anyway !!

Last edited:
Noise when swerving and not braking?
Sounds like wavy rotors - warped or worn.

When scuffing rotors, I like 150 on a sander. Finer grits won't cut.

Originally Posted By: dwcopple
I replaced the front and rear rotors and pads on the Mounty this week and now the driver side rear is making a rotational noise the gets more pronounced when swerving left and right. I pulled it apart again and re-greased the slides to no change. So I had the OL drive it and I rode next to her on a pedal bike and tried to decipher it better. I guess its the parking brake shoes scrubbing the rotor. I took it by a repair shop today and they said it is for sure "But it'll run ya $75 a side for me to have my guy clean it up for ya".

So I can do it myself, but what the F do I do? He said to look for a shiney spot where it is rubbing inside the rotor/drum and "clean" it up. [censored], Clean what? Do I grind the parking brake shoes (which miraculously looked excellent) or sand/grind the inside of the new rotor?

Just take the new rotor back and get another one, it is warped. Did you use a torque wrench to put the lug nuts on to the correct ft/lbs for your car? You can warp a rotor if you just crank down the lugs and they are uneven pressure or to tight. Also some "new" rotors come warped right out of the box.

Take it back and get a new one and see how that goes.

I pulled it apart yesterday and sanded inside the drum and sanded the edge of the parking brake shoes too. still makes the noise when making a right turn and when slowing to a stop. I am gonna return it and get another one I guess. This is just ridiculous.

UPDATE: I got two new rotors to try today and they both made the same horrific noise. After pulling the new rotor off and looking inside the drum, it was loaded with brake dust in less than 1 mile of driving. Definitely need to adjust the parking brake shoes, it is the cause of the noise. Now to pull it all apart for the 5th time to get at the star adjuster nut for the P-brake...Yeah! (sarcasm)

Learning experience just choke it up for future reference, I work on machines for a living, and trouble shooting is just as this post goes, however on a first time basis I always goes the easiest route, migrating to the most time consuming/expensive !! The reason I guessed rotors is because you found one shiny spot... that said from what I have seen the new/rebuilt rotors are of good quality, and unless you have an outstanding shop to turn/true rotors the rotors at local parts store is a stable meaning you can rely on the quality... as everything you may get a bad part from time to time... but it's a great resource to be able to purchase rotors at local parts store in my opinion

check to see if the rotor(s) are rubbing against the backing plates. My guess is that is it.

Look very closely for shiny spots on the backing plate.

Last edited:
Pull the backing plates away from the rotors. My Mustang made that noise after I put the Cobra R brakes on it. Drove me crazy until I ripped those SOB's off and put these on instead.
100_0359Small.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back