Please help me, I'm suffering from 3K-itis

Status
Not open for further replies.
This whole weeked I've been suffering from 3K-itis. It's that urge that you MUST change the oil by 3000 miles, even though you KNOW it doesn't need to be changed. Fellow BITOG'ers, please encourage me to hang in there and go well beyond 3K.

When the urge arised, should I count sheep? ...er...Little green elves?

Heck, I finally found SM-based Phillips Tropic Artic today and would like to try it out. Maybe I should return it and keep my sanity?

I think it might help you out a little bit if you change your filter and give the car a top of, piece of mind that you did something, then you could go another 3k or so.

You'll get no help here. Sometimes you just gotta do it because you're bored and want to see how the new brew works. Been there. There's nothing like seeing clear on the dipstick. (P.S. I advocate 3k oil changes but with cheap oil and oil filter change every other oil change
wink.gif
)

Just tough it out. It gets easier. I was a religious 3k'er till a little over a year ago. I had decided with my wifes Trailblazer to wait for the oil change light to come on. I sold it with 8500 miles on Mobil 1 oil and still no light.
I do my car every 7500 and my wifes every 5k (actualy 6 months, she does not drive enough). While I still do get the itch to change oil, I luckily have a mechanic friend who gladly lets me come in and help him with oil changes whenever I want.

There's a lot to be said for 'If it aint broke, don't fix it.'
Can't you take up knitting or watch the Tour de France? I usually go and rub some crap on the leather or vinyl when I get an itch. Vacuuming can be pretty satisfying, as it has that power tool effect: Noise and results. You can even make diagonal patterns in the carpet. Here's a good one if you really have to get underneath: goop up all the suspension bushings and boots with vinyl protectant. Next time you drive it, it will feel like a new suspension, or like it's in the rain... Just trying to help.

I am in the same boat... At first it was hard to get to 3k without feeling the urge to change the oil...

Now I'm leaning toward 5k intervals, but it seems I always miss my mark and change at 4k-something.

The oil in this engine (2.8L VR6) stays relatively "clear" for a long time and doesn't use a drop, but it's tough nonetheless to make it the whole 5k.

3000 miles on car...

Must change oil...

gr_eek2.gif
gr_eek2.gif

Must use Trop oil..

(I feel your pain)
grin.gif

Just change it, Can't hurt!

Make sure you recycle the oil like all of us BITOG already do (Part of my message to make the PC crowd happy)
cheers.gif

Thats my thought process.

Cheers, Bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

I went to Autozone today to grab a new t-stat, but they didn't have the higher heat range that I was looking for. Perhaps working on something else on the car rather than oil will help the urge pass?

I wouldn't mind watching the Cubs, but they're sucking really bad, so I can't pass the time that way. With the storm coming, I'll need to find something inside to do. Maybe hang out here and talk about oil?!? Hmmm, that only feeds my oil changing issue.

Maybe when my new work laptop comes in (with an AMD 3500+CPU) I can take up gaming again.

quote:

Originally posted by GROUCHO MARX:
All you need is a good shot of procrastination. Oh yea, if you stop buying oil on sale, the urge will pass. If you have no stash, you have no urge to smoke,...... err use it.

Well my stash is not making me want to change oil. I actually am rather impressed at how much I got for so little! Don't want to waste it.

The peer pressure of everyone on this site keeps me going when the miles get up there on my oil. I just keep thinking of how everyone will say "why did you drain it so early?" and it allows me to keep going well beyond the 6000 mile mark now.
smile.gif

I made myself cope a *little* better by applying some Rain-X windshield products. Heck, I got to toy with the car without even popping the hood!
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by mikemc:
I've got three words for you : Used Oil Analysis. Try a UOA at 4K and you'll never want to change at 3K again.

Mike,

I've done UOAs at 3k and have had a few say that changing out the oil and filter was good idea!

I've also had some 5k that showed a blend getting close to being done. Still protecting but I would not want to go futher.

I don't know, Oil is cheap. I ran expensive oil out to almost 5k and the UOA on oil that was almost 1/10th of the cost @3k looked just as good if not better compairing the UOAs.
dunno.gif

I guess the real crazy thing is I'm doing UOAS like they are free!
gr_eek2.gif

I'm spending more on the UOAs than the oil and filter. Like twice!
wink.gif

But I feel that the info is worth something.
confused.gif

Take care! bill
biggthumbcoffe.gif

Give the lawnmower an oil change!
I did that last weekend after it was used.
Lil #132 in it I felt better.

If all I had were one or two vehicles and they were high mileage, bingo, 3k (or when convenient) oil + filer changes on cheap dino. Fuel dilution, coolant contamination, wear metals, TBN, insolubles, who cares?

3k and out! Stick a fork in it. Done.

For me, five words justify a 3K mi /5K km OCI, even with Mobil 1:

"longitudinal VW/Audi 1.8T, city driving"

My 2003 Dodge Stratus gets new dino oil and filter every 3500-4000 miles, reflecting a blend between by-the-book "severe service / 3K miles" and "normal (actually, 'ideal') service / 6K miles."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back