Please help me choose a compressor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a portable compressor capable of producing at least 50 psi. It should come with a 1.5-5 gallon storage tank. I want the unit to have a small footprint and to be as quiet as possible (diaphragm vs piston?). And it has to be affordable. I was looking at compressors at The Home Depot, but I'm as clueless as the employees. What would be my best options?

I'm not sure myself. I recall a very compact unit that was sold around xmas time @HD, but haven't seen it since. They do have a small carry around unit rated for 90 psi I believe for about $100 that might just fit the bill.

With any unit you happen to come across, I'd ask to have one plugged in to test.

FWIW -

For a spare time exercise, I put a unit together out of an idle 12 tire compressor, an old grill propane tank that I carefully refurbished, a 12 volt motorcycle battery, a 1 amp battery charger, wall switch and a small compact dolly. With the purchase of some hose and fittings, a guage and regulator, a water pump pressure control switch and some time in my basement shop, it all became one mobile unit. Very "light duty" use mind you.

I have an old 2-cycle engine and an inductive motor from the air handler of my furnace I've pondered about modifying and arranging for a larger stationary compressor, but that's more of an exercise than I wish to get involved in right now.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks guys.

What about piston versus diaphragm type? I suspect the piston type is louder, but more durable?

one question to consider is what the use is and how many CFM cubic feet per minute you need. the key to making it last is to keep the duty cycle down to 50-60 percent. Another thing is the RPM the real high rpm units are often pretty loud. Piston or diapragm I've seen both last a long time if sized properly.

I need to pressurize a pressure pot that has a capacity of not more than 3.5 gallons to about 45 psi.

what $$$ is affordable? how often is it going to get used? thomas pumps makes some excellent oil free compressors that last a very long time and are quiet. they are an OEM supplier. they might be a little pricey, but they are quality and not made in china.

I expect to use the compressor two or three times a week, only long enough to pressurize the pressure pot. I intend to pressure-cast resin in the tank.

I might spend up to $200 for the right compressor. The Thomas Model 900 is unfortunately a bit too weak with a rating of 35 psi, and their next, bigger model is already too big.

did youever get one... Id say for that, look at the thomas brand compressors. THeyre really well made (we just got one in our lab) and made in the USA!

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back