Please help. I want to mod but I know nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I go with the Nice graphics card too.

That takes pressure off the system and lets the card memory do the work.

Thanks guys. Maybe I should leave this alone and build a "super computer" over the course of a year. Part of the reason I went with this one was the salesman (yes, I know how honest they are) said this one was very friendly to upgrading. I need to make the decision to start fresh or mod this one. Or maybe save the money since it's way more computer than I need already.

Since this thing does not use a dedicated graphics card, will adding more RAM have more of an effect on the speed? Sorry if this sounds retarded.

Not really retarded. If its integrated graphics, that typically steals some of the system RAM.
However, I think 6GB should be more than enough. If you have a PCIe x16 slot open, a

Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Not really retarded. If its integrated graphics, that typically steals some of the system RAM.
However, I think 6GB should be more than enough. If you have a PCIe x16 slot open, a div>

This is going to show my ignorance..... But this PCIe x16 slot you talk about, is this the same thing you install the RAM into? Is it as easy as plugging a graphics card into it??? Didn't know the card was so cheap, I'm definately going to do this. Will I have to configure anything or will the computer just recognize it and continue running as normal? I have access to the PC techs at work, they're actually pretty good friends so I can get them over here if I need to. Talk about computer illiterate lol.

Originally Posted By: JSP
You will not notice any difference by adding more memory. Most people do not need more than 4GB of memory at this time and anything more will just not be used.

That only applies to people using 32-bit operating systems. Unfortunately, there are loads of people with 64-bit computers using 32-bit operating systems. I've never understood why people would buy a brand new 64-bit computer with a 32-bit operating system. Sales personnel certainly pushed it. A couple years back, a buddy was looking for a new system and took me along. The salesman was gushing about the 6 or 8 gigs of RAM it had, and when I took him to task over the 32-bit XP, he had no answer.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
However, I think 6GB should be more than enough. If you have a PCIe x16 slot open, a div>

This is going to show my ignorance..... But this PCIe x16 slot you talk about, is this the same thing you install the RAM into? Is it as easy as plugging a graphics card into it??? Didn't know the card was so cheap, I'm definately going to do this. Will I have to configure anything or will the computer just recognize it and continue running as normal? I have access to the PC techs at work, they're actually pretty good friends so I can get them over here if I need to. Talk about computer illiterate lol.

PCIe x16 is the longest horizontal slot.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co..._PCIe_Slots.jpg
You would have to install the driver but after that it will just work.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

PCIe x16 is the longest horizontal slot.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co..._PCIe_Slots.jpg
You would have to install the driver but after that it will just work.

Thank you!

Will it hurt anything if I install the card before I get the driver intalled? I may have a narrow window to install the card. Or in other words it has to be behind the GF's back, I made the mistake of telling her I was going to do some upgrades and she was less than happy about it.

Any suggestions on which card? $60 is fine, I just don't want to upgrade again for a long time.

Originally Posted By: DrinkDuff77
Personally, I would go with something with a little more muscle like this: ...snip...

It will give you the ability to game if you ever choose to and has HDMI out if you want to hook it to your TV.

That's a nice choice! I can't believe how much quality video cards have come down in price the last number of years.

Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
No disrespect but I think you need to read up some more on this stuff before you go headlong into this.

In his defence, he certainly asked, and he's not afraid to try. Computers and components are cheap enough these days that a blowup isn't a total loss. We all have to start somewhere and DIY is the best way to learn.

I'm in a similar boat to him. I'm not a hardware expert. I'm confident and competent with just about any piece of software out there. My friends call me relentlessly since if they have a software bug or something isn't working, I will get it working, each and every time.

Hardware isn't my strong suit. I still employ the DIY principle, since it's cheaper, and if I screw up, I have no one to blame but myself. It's a great way to learn.

BITOG amazes me each time I'm here. Not only is it a good oil resource, we also have people who know their tech stuff.

I wasn't trying to be dismissive or anything, but when someone doesn't know the difference between the RAM slot and PCIe slot, a bit more research is necessary before they take this on.

As for the video card, getting one with HDMI is a valid point, but I again cannot agree with getting anything more than the cheapest one with HDMI if you don't plan to game. It's just a waste of money. Just like you could also get an awesome $2000 hard drive controller, but if you aren't running a high-end server, there's absolutely no point.

If you'd like more input on this or would like to learn a lot about this stuff, I recommend visiting another forum I frequent here:

http://www.maximumpc.com/forums/index.php

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FusilliJerry82
I wasn't trying to be dismissive or anything, but when someone doesn't know the difference between the RAM slot and PCIe slot, a bit more research is necessary before they take this on.

As for the video card, getting one with HDMI is a valid point, but I again cannot agree with getting anything more than the cheapest one with HDMI if you don't plan to game. It's just a waste of money. Just like you could also get an awesome $2000 hard drive controller, but if you aren't running a high-end server, there's absolutely no point.

I certainly agree with the research point, and you were not trying to be dismissive. I just know where he's coming from. I wanted to do a RAM upgrade, but I was confused to no end. I had, by that time, been able to install Linux with my eyes closed and build packages from source, yet installing memory had me freaked out. By the time I got around to adding an extra HD, a video card, and replacing a blown NIC, it wasn't so bad.

As for the video card, an extra few bucks isn't bad. He certainly doesn't need one of those $200 plus jobs out there, but a few extra bucks for a few extra capabilities can be nice. It can help slow down the eventual obsolescence. We all know how games can get addictive, too. An extra $40 on a video card isn't bad, especially if one finds out he didn't buy enough after he gets into some gaming and has to start all over again.

Pop open your case before buying and it should be obvious if you have the correct slot available to add one of these newer graphics cards. If you stick with the lower priced options, you probably can get by with the original power supply for a while. Jump to much higher performance graphics and the card itself will require you to plug in two power connectors to the end of the graphics card, something many stock power supplies will not have included.

Since pricing is so low, I always pick a graphics card with 1 GB memory. Also, note that on the cheapest cards, the fan is [censored] and may start whining or just quit after a few months. I got an MSI brand ATI/Radeon graphics card with 1 GB and a deluxe heat sink (no fan required) for around $60 to replace a nVidia budget card with a screaming fan in my daughter's machine.

I disagree that a graphics card will only benefit a gaming PC. Off the bat, we know he gets 256 MB shared memory back. Secondly, the entire graphics sub-system is slow on integrated graphics and he will notice a clearer view and slightly better performance in regular use.

Regarding installation, you plug in the card first and then install the video drivers only when prompted. The motherboard will detect the card and turn off integrated graphics. Just make sure you are plugging your monitor in to the slot on the back of the new card and not the old integrated slot on the back of the motherboard. Also, I rarely use the drivers off the supplied CD that comes with new hardware. The CD usually contains outdated drivers by the time the product is purchased so it is always better to download the latest version for your operating system from the vendors website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXMXTruck
Pop open your case before buying and it should be obvious if you have the correct slot available to add one of these newer graphics cards. If you stick with the lower priced options, you probably can get by with the original power supply for a while. Jump to much higher performance graphics and the card itself will require you to plug in two power connectors to the end of the graphics card, something many stock power supplies will not have included.

Since pricing is so low, I always pick a graphics card with 1 GB memory. Also, note that on the cheapest cards, the fan is [censored] and may start whining or just quit after a few months. I got an MSI brand ATI/Radeon graphics card with 1 GB and a deluxe heat sink (no fan required) for around $60 to replace a nVidia budget card with a screaming fan in my daughter's machine.

I disagree that a graphics card will only benefit a gaming PC. Off the bat, we know he gets 256 MB shared memory back. Secondly, the entire graphics sub-system is slow on integrated graphics and he will notice a clearer view and slightly better performance in regular use.

Regarding installation, you plug in the card first and then install the video drivers only when prompted. The motherboard will detect the card and turn off integrated graphics. Just make sure you are plugging your monitor in to the slot on the back of the new card and not the old integrated slot on the back of the motherboard. Also, I rarely use the drivers off the supplied CD that comes with new hardware. The CD usually contains outdated drivers by the time the product is purchased so it is always better to download the latest version for your operating system from the vendors website.

Just a few things:

1. He's already bought the computer.

2. MSI is garbage, so I'm not surprised.

3. Many on-board video solutions have dedicated VRAM w/access to shared memory when needed. See: DVMT.

4. Unless we are talking about integrated SiS graphics from 1996, you won't notice any difference in "clarity" between on-board graphics and a dedicated card. His board has an AMD Chipset, meaning its integrated graphics are ATI. Not garbage. And he won't notice a difference in regular use.

Intel's more recent integrated (on the CPU) graphics with the i3 stuff is very impressive for being basically free.

5. Many systems do NOT disable the on-board graphics. And you can run dual screens via this method. What DOES happen is that the PCI-E card will become the primary graphics adaptor by default in many cases. And this is also configurable in the BIOS.

6. I agree with the point about the drivers. Though I would take it one step further and state that unless you are dealing with a vendor-customized solution, often the reference drivers from the GPU manufacturer (ATI or NVidia) are superior to the vendor-branded offerings.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Just a few things:

3. Many on-board video solutions have dedicated VRAM w/access to shared memory when needed. See: DVMT.

4. Unless we are talking about integrated SiS graphics from 1996, you won't notice any difference in "clarity" between on-board graphics and a dedicated card. His board has an AMD Chipset, meaning its integrated graphics are ATI. Not garbage. And he won't notice a difference in regular use.

Or, refer to page 1 of this thread. I know he already bought the computer and I posted that I checked the specs of his machine. If you had done so, you would know that he has nVidia 9100 integrated graphics. This is the slowest Geforce 9 chipset out there and it is fine for an office type machine. As he has a quad core processor, I'd still go for the add on card.

Also, if you re-read my post that you quoted, the replacement video card I purchased for my daughters machine is an MSI/Radeon. The former budget card with the screaming fan was an Asus.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL

Just a few things:

Or, refer to page 1 of this thread. I know he already bought the computer and I posted that I checked the specs of his machine. If you had done so, you would know that he has nVidia 9100 integrated graphics. This is the slowest Geforce 9 chipset out there and it is fine for an office type machine. As he has a quad core processor, I'd still go for the add on card.

Also, if you re-read my post that you quoted, the replacement video card I purchased for my daughters machine is an MSI/Radeon. The former budget card with the screaming fan was an Asus.

1. I was responding to this part of your post:

"Pop open your case before buying and it should be obvious if you have the correct slot available to add one of these newer graphics cards."

I hadn't gone BACK through the thread (I've posted in it before too) to see that you had previously posted. I assumed, based on this statement, that you hadn't.

2. I see that now. But why does him having a Quad-Core processor factor in to you recommending him having a PCI-E video card?

3. He still won't see a video quality difference between his on-board and a stand-alone card. I saw AMD and assumed AMD chipset on the board (hence ATI graphics). I was incorrect in the chipset indicated, but that does not invalidate the point I was making.

4. And MSI IMO is still junk
wink.gif
I've seen more MSI board and card failures than ASUS, Intel (Foxconn) and Gigabyte combined!

That being said, the silent cards in general are great for machines that aren't used for hardcore gaming, but the user still wants the flexibility of a video card they can upgrade later. No fans to go bad or plug up and as long as the case has DECENT ventilation, they won't cook things. On the other hand, cases WITHOUT decent ventilation can be exciting.

I'm not disagreeing with the general nature of your post, just some of your statements are a tad bizarre.

Gotcha. I do appreciate your comments.

Now come on, leaking capacitors on an MSI board?!?!? (Yeah, I know you didn't say that, but I know you got the joke.)

I'll have to browse around when I have time to read some more of your posts. You obviously know your stuff!

Gotcha. I do appreciate your comments.

Now come on, leaking capacitors on an MSI board?!?!? (Yeah, I know you didn't say that, but I know you got the joke.)

I'll have to browse around when I have time to read some more of your posts. You obviously know your stuff!

Hhehehhe, Thanks
grin2.gif

I have a red MSI abomination sitting on my desolder bench right now actually; it has the vomit green and baby blue DDR slots on it! Whomever came up with that colour combo may need to have their eyes examined, LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back