PLEASE HELP 96K1500 no start

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys I'm desperate so please don't view and not reply to this if you can help like so many other sites I've tried!!!

I have a 1996 K1500 5.7 vortec.. I bought it from a shiester kid from the valley who did not inform me on the issues on the truck also who didn't register it in his name and totally screwed me over. There were parts missing that I can replace but I havent been able to yet.

It's missing the cat,missing o2 sensor,maf unplugged when I bought it,and has a melted wiring harness on multiple connectors. I tried to plug in the maf to see what it would do but it Killed it now it will not start and when it does I have to keep a foot on the pedal to keep an idle. It ran and started awesome before even with all the missing stuff and melted harness. I plugged in the maf. It will sure try to start but it can't. When it finally does it surges terribly when I take a foot off the gas.. Please anyone with an answer help!!!!!

Last edited:
I think the best thing to do first is find a Chiltons/Haynes/ some type of manual for it so you can identify what the melted wires are for

Originally Posted By: Olas
Pull a unmelted loom from a car in the scrap yard and plug it in.

Will make diagnosis SOOO much easier

I think this is going to be your best option, or you are going to be chasing non-stop electrical gremlins. Take the PCM while you are at it as well.

+1 on what others have said. As I recall, this year was notorious for melting wires at the bulkhead connector. GM had a recall on them, my best friend had one start on fire at the bulkhead connector.

I don't live in CA, but if it's missing that cat, CEL on, etc, are you going to be able to register it? I wouldn't think so.

Doesn't sound like any easy or simple solution here. If the harness is melted that needs replaced, then just start working through a diagnostic troubleshooting routine.

I had a 96 C1500 (2wd) with the 5.7L. It got a bad fuel pump relay, and the connection under the fuse box was bad as well. Those fuel pumps are also known to burn out pretty often.

Originally Posted By: MUDDYK5
Guys I'm desperate so please don't view and not reply to this if you can help like so many other sites I've tried!!!

I have a 1996 K1500 5.7 vortec.. I bought it from a shiester kid from the valley who did not inform me on the issues on the truck also who didn't register it in his name and totally screwed me over. There were parts missing that I can replace but I havent been able to yet.

It's missing the cat,missing o2 sensor,maf unplugged when I bought it,and has a melted wiring harness on multiple connectors. I tried to plug in the maf to see what it would do but it Killed it now it will not start and when it does I have to keep a foot on the pedal to keep an idle. It ran and started awesome before even with all the missing stuff and melted harness. I plugged in the maf. It will sure try to start but it can't. When it finally does it surges terribly when I take a foot off the gas.. Please anyone with an answer help!!!!!

15.gif
next time....look the truck over first....tow this one to a boneyard.

I'd be looking in a junk yard for parts to piece it back together. Wiring harness, MAF, CAT. A lot cheaper than anything else. You might get lucky.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
Unplug the MAF.

If he hasn't already done that, I'd have to wonder.

Starting fluid is good for establishing whether its fuel or spark.

He wants us to take the time to fix his stuff but hasn't even made a second post.

You are looking at you got screwed. What did you pay for the truck and what will it cost to get it smog legal is what you should be thinking about rather than it will not start. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Everything worked great before I plugged in the maf. I unplugged it but still nothing. I am going to do some testing when We get home from the hospital.. I bought the truck for $2500 has dana 60's with a 15" lift. Figured I would have a little room to put some cash into it

Sometimes an engine with multiple things disconnected, broken, or otherwise not working right can be made to run okay, but if you mess with one thing the house of cards comes down. You have messed with it, so now your choices are to play with it like the last guy did until you get it rigged up just right, or actually go through and fix everything you know is wrong, followed by the additional things you find after that.

If you want it to run right, you need to fix the damaged wiring, all of it. Whether you go with a used harness or with repairing the existing one is up to you. Both options are tedious, no way around it. Damaged wiring is not fun.

Parting out the truck may be the best option if it has good things on it to sell. A lot of modified trucks are hacked up junk, and one with major electrical issues is going to be a challenge no matter what.

Everything worked great before I plugged in the maf. I unplugged it but still nothing. I am going to do some testing when We get home from the hospital.. I bought the truck for $2500 has dana 60's with a 15" lift. Figured I would have a little room to put some cash into it

2500 dollar truck with a 15 inch lift and an axle swap? I wouldn't want to drive the thing. Who knows how hacked up the suspension is if they didn't care enough to get the motor running right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back