Please Explain Viscosity in Simple Terms

overkill, wishy wash it all you want, maybe you need to study it a bit more.

Here you go again. This is what I have said over and over even before I found this.

"multigrade oils are typically created by blending a low-viscosity base oil with VI improver additives (see the additives section of this book). For example, when these polymer additives are blended in the correct proportion with an SAE 15W oil, the oil flows like an SAE 15W oil at low temperatures and like an SAE 40 oil at high temperatures. The result is an SAE 15W-40 viscosity grade oil that will provide wide protection over an extended temperature range. True multigrade oils will have a VI of 120 or greater and contain VI improver additives and/or synthetic base oils."

When was that article written?
At the bottom of the article - July 2001.

1666486092876.jpg

overkill, wishy wash it all you want, maybe you need to study it a bit more.
I'm a glutton for punishment I guess, but let's go over this again.

You stated:
Exhaustgases said:
the base oil is the low number, the viscosity modified number is the high number.

This is J300:
SAE J300 Current.png

As you can see, there's only a kinematic viscosity floor for the Winter grades, absolutely no upper boundary, so it's not a viscosity range like the hot grades. You still with me here?

So, let's look at that chunk you quoted:
multigrade oils are typically created by blending a low-viscosity base oil with VI improver additives (see the additives section of this book). For example, when these polymer additives are blended in the correct proportion with an SAE 15W oil, the oil flows like an SAE 15W oil at low temperatures and like an SAE 40 oil at high temperatures. The result is an SAE 15W-40 viscosity grade oil

So, look at J300, how do we get a 15W oil? Well, it has to pass CCS of 7,000cP at -20C and MRV of 60,000cP at -25C, and, it has to have a minimum 100C visc of 5.6cP.

Back in like the land before time days you could buy a straight Winter rated engine oil, it had no hot grade, just a straight-up Winter rating on a monograde, so like an SAE 15W. Taking that at face value, looking at J300 we know it was 5.6cP or heavier and, if sold today, would have had to have passed those other two tests, correct? And it had no VII improvers, otherwise, it would have to be a multigrade. We also have absolutely no idea what its 100C visc was, other than the fact that it was above the minimum. These would have been very light Group I based oils.

Now, the problem with just adding VII improvers to the above Group I SAE 15W monograde we just discussed is that VII's don't only work when they are hot. They impact the oil at all temperatures, the effect is just lower at cooler temps. So, add enough VII to get our SAE 15W to be in the 40-grade range when hot (12.5 to 16.3cSt) and all of a sudden, it doesn't pass as a 15W anymore, so maybe we end up with a 20W-40 or 25W-40. Ewwww.

But let's get back to what you stated:
the base oil is the low number, the viscosity modified number is the high number.

Base oils aren't sold as a Winter grade, they are sold by the 100C visc. PAO 8 is labelled as such because it's 8 cSt @ 100C, it's not sold as a 5W. The number on the left is simply the Winter grade for the oil, which we know, has to be heavier than the number indicated in the low shear 100C min visc column in J300, and pass the CCS and MRV requirements. I'm sure you can see that an 8 or 10cSt PAO is significantly heavier than the 3.8cSt floor for the 5W Grade category, yes?

Now, base oil selection is indeed made based on the intended Winter grade the oil will be shooting for. But that base oil viscosity is not represented by that number; the base oil viscosity is not the oil's Winter grade. An 8cSt Group II base will not have the same Winter performance as an 8cSt PAO for example; they will not meet the same Winter rating. Ergo, you can't correlate an 8cSt base oil viscosity with the 5W Winter grade, or the 10W Winter grade or even the 15W Winter grade, depending on the quality and type of base oil we are discussing.

Let me give you an example:
I can blend up a 0W-20 using a 4cSt Group III base, let's say we are using Yubase4. That base, by itself could be labelled as a 0W, an SAE 8, or a 0W-8, because it's a monograde. We add a shot of VII and get the 100C visc up into the 6.9 to 9.3cSt range and we have our 0W-20.

I can also blend up a 0W-20 using a heavier 6cSt PAO base, let's say we are using SpectraSyn6. That base, by itself could be labelled as a 0W, an SAE 16 or a 0W-16, because it's a monograde. It takes a tiny dash of VII to bring that up from an SAE 16 to a 0W-20.

You can ALMOST get there with SpectraSyn 8, which just misses the CCS visc for 0W and ends up being a 5W, and is also an SAE 20. Blending 6 and 8, getting a 7, you could likely produce a 0W-20 monograde (so also an SAE 0W and SAE 20).

Follow? So the above, I've given you three VERY different base oil viscosities, all meet the same Winter grade requirements, but all have very different 100C viscosities. With our last example, there isn't even a viscosity modifier in play, because the oil meets both the Winter grade and SAE grade requirements without them.

I think I already linked you to Gokhan's spreadsheet:

But you can look at the estimated BO KV100 column to get an idea of the base oil viscosities and see that this number is all over the map and you'll see the same number for different Winter grades or even inversions.

Example:
- AMSOIL AME 15W-40 has a base oil viscosity of 9.86cSt
- AMSOIL ACD 10W-30 has a base oil viscosity of 10.61cSt and is also an SAE 30 because it has no VII.

So here you have a 15W-xx with a lower base oil viscosity than a 10W-xx that also doesn't even have any VII in it.

Is any of this helping?

Last edited:
A straight 30 oil flows like a straight 30 at what ever temperature you decide it is to flow at.
A straight 10 oil will do the same.
A straight 5 oil as well same stuff.
Now add the plastic (simple terms) viscosity modifier and at a certain temperature said oil will flow to what ever the modified oil is suppose to mimic. Simple stuff no charts needed.

A straight 30 oil flows like a straight 30 at what ever temperature you decide it is to flow at.
Now add the plastic (simple terms) viscosity modifier and at a certain temperature said oil will flow to what ever the modified oil is suppose to mimic. Simple stuff no charts needed.
If only such a thing existed.

And there isn't an SAE 10 grade oil. It would be a winter monograde which is a 10W.

Ok, simple and accurate; here I go.

Viscosity is how "thick" or "thin" a fluid is for lack of a simpler, more accurate descriptive set of terms.

Higher numbers are "thicker" than lower numbers. Lower numbers are "thinner" than higher numbers.

The first number indicates how it behaves at low temperatures.

The second number indicates how it behaves at high temperatures.

Bing bang boom
spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif

I'm pretty sure it has been said several times this way already or at least as "simple and accurate", but maybe now we can call it a day on this merry-go-round.

You still don't get it. And those grades don't exist, there is no SAE 5 or SAE 10, only the Winter grades, which you cannot peg to a specific viscosity because there is no upper limit, just a floor, which I just showed you in detail.

Again, look at the AMSOIL 10W-30, it's a 10W and it's an SAE 30, it's not an SAE 10 (which doesn't exist) and it simultaneously meets both the 10W and SAE 30 requirements with no VII plastic.

I can explain this to you, but I cannot understand it for you. I strongly encourage you to put more effort into comprehending the material rather than arguing with me. You'll be better for it.

Ok, simple and accurate; here I go.

Viscosity is how "thick" or "thin" a fluid is for lack of a simpler, more accurate descriptive set of terms.

Higher numbers are "thicker" than lower numbers. Lower numbers are "thinner" than higher numbers.

The first number indicates how it behaves at low temperatures.

The second number indicates how it behaves at high temperatures.

Bing bang boom
spongebob-squarepants-spongebob.gif

I'm pretty sure it has been said several times this way already or at least as "simple and accurate", but maybe now we can call it a day on this merry-go-round.
This is what I have said over and over and still attacked for it. Wow

If only such a thing existed.

And there isn't an SAE 10 grade oil. It would be a winter monograde which is a 10W.
Actually there is, its hydraulic oil. And its all mineral oil, so if they wanted an SAE 10 motor oil just add what ever additives you need to make it motor oil.
I will exit this discussion. I posted that link no one here could even understand it.

Last edited:
Actually there is, its hydraulic oil. And its all mineral oil, so if they wanted an SAE 10 motor oil just add what ever additives you need to make it motor oil.
I will exit this discussion. I posted that link no one here could even understand it.
Please.

And the exit because you’ve exhausted any sort of technical discussion.

Well, if we look at straight-up PAO base oils, we can see this data because Mobil is generally very generous with what they give us:
View attachment 121336

So, we have THREE different viscosity measurements for this 8cSt (SAE 20) base oil at -40C:
- Kinematic: 19,000cSt
- Brookfield: 17,590cP
- MRV: 16,200cP

CCS visc is only presented at 5W-xx (-30C) because it clearly doesn't meet the threshold for 0W-xx. You have to step down to SpectraSyn 5 or SpectraSyn Plus 6 for Mobil to provide CCS at -35C:
View attachment 121337
You've definitely got a thing for PAO base oils.

As to viscosity:

Viscosity-Definition-and-Examples.jpg

Back