Please advise me on oil, tranny fluid, etc. for 1990 Nissan

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife has a 15 year old cousin living just down the street, who just got his first car. It is a 1990 Nissan 240SX. It has a 2.4L 4-cyl. engine & a 5-speed manual tranny. He got it from another cousin, so any previous maintenance history can be retrieved, if need be.

Last Hallow's eve, while my wife & daughter were in their house trick-or-treating, the kid was outside tinkering with the car & asked me if I would help him learn how to do basic maintenance on it. I told him I'd be happy to help.

His Dad also asked me to help the kid. The Dad said he does not want to know anything about the car. He's a real nice fellow, but just not a car guy, I guess.

We looked under the hood last night to check the overall condition of things. It's in fairly good shape, but I have a feeling it's WAAAAAY past due for an oil change.

The oil change sticker in the corner of the windshield says it's due for an oil change at 177k miles. The odometer reads 189k miles.
shocked.gif
At least it has a decent oil filter on it (Purolator PP), & isn't consuming any oil.

I'm thinking this car would be a perfect candidate for all the API SJ QS 4X4 semi-synthetic 10w30 that I've got sitting around.

Would the BITOGers please advise as to the proper fluids (all fluids) for this car?

Thanks in advance,
WW

Makes perfect sense to use up the aging semi-synthetic you have laying around. Otherwise he probably is not wealthy and would want to take advantage of decent budget priced oils like Havoline.

Were it my car I would run Redline or Specialty Formulations in the tranny, rear end, and power steering. Very well might run Redline in the engine too.

Sounds like a great candidate for your SJ stash, especially if all your own vehicles call for a later API spec. That car has probably run on SJ 10w-30 for many of its miles.

WW,
Here is what I found:

Engine Oil: 10w-30, 3.4 qt sump
MT Oil: 75w-90 synthetic, 2.6qt sump
Rear Diff: 75w-90 synthetic, 1.9 qt sump.

I'd personally use M1 75w-90 for the transmission and Rear Differential, and whatever 10w-30 you have lying around for the engine.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back