Plating moly in engine oil. a desireable trait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched a demo last night on Schaeffer 15w-40 w/ moly. It would plate up on the roller when others would not, just like a moly grease. My question is, is having a moly that plates up a desirable trait to have on the inside of an internal combustion engine? I kinda figure if there's no oil long enough the the moly to plate up, you've got other problems.... I also know that Molybdenum disulfide is a type of clay..... Again, doesn't bother me in a grease, but in an engine?

Opinions?

Originally Posted By: Dieselfume1
Watched a demo last night on Schaeffer 15w-40 w/ moly. It would plate up on the roller when others would not, just like a moly grease. My question is, is having a moly that plates up a desirable trait to have on the inside of an internal combustion engine? I kinda figure if there's no oil long enough the the moly to plate up, you've got other problems.... I also know that Molybdenum disulfide is a type of clay..... Again, doesn't bother me in a grease, but in an engine?

Opinions?

If you search around on this site a bit, there are hundreds if not thousands of posts on moly in motor oil. Take a look, you will get opinions there.

And just to start you off, molybdenum disulfide is a different compound than what is used in most motor oils. Look up the difference.

Most oils have moly in them for anti-friction purposes. The exception would be Valvoline which uses a secret sauce so to speak. Moly is just one of several options for motor oil. Which oil are you running now in your vehicles? You can then search the uoa and voa sub forums here to get a general idea.

I've run many oils. Mobil 1 is one of the long time ones I've used. Recently been switching farm equipment as well as autos over to TRC's Moly XL Pro-Spec 3
I know they run a type of non plating micro-moly, but I'm not familiar with this type that Schaeffers is running.

Makes me wonder about what a plating moly could do to those tight fitting tolerances like crnak/rod bearings, valve guides, valve last, piston skirt/ring gaps? The fact that the schaeffer guy proved that it plated up like a moly grease on the load test machine tells me that their moly is different than others, and maybe not in a good way?

That is the way I understand it. But in areas where there's thousandths of an inch of tolerance between turning free and binding, I'm not how sure I am that I want anything plating up in those areas.

Most engine oils with moly are a micro/liquid non settling moly. It appears that this Schaeffers stuff has both.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I thought the advantage of moly is the plates rub against each other saving metal contact?
I would think plating is actally the wrong definition of Molys actions in motor oils.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: ZZman
I thought the advantage of moly is the plates rub against each other saving metal contact?
I would think plating is actally the wrong definition of Molys actions in motor oils.
+1

How else would you put it when the Schaeffer salesman puts their moly 15w-40 on the roller, turns it on, lets it squeal, and then when it quiets down he says it's because the moly has "plated up" ?

Here, look at this one, and see how it's treated differently...

And the process discussed here...

Wow what a joke. And I’d trust that other manufacturer why?

That Amsoil video perfectly shows the utter deception of that test and of that one website.

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Wow what a joke. And I’d trust that other manufacturer why?

That Amsoil video perfectly shows the utter deception of that test and of that one website.

Taking the learnings to another thread...100% variance just depending on loading rate ?

Hmmm

Got sucked in by that thing in 1978, although I was working at a hire company and it wasn't engines that were having lubrication failures...that goop works well in drive systems. Next time I saw it a few years later he pulled the Mobil out of my bulk tanks and it was as bad as water...then he opened a brand new can of the stuff that was so fantastic in the last demo, and it was worse than Mobil !! Instantly suspicious now, and of course his oil was just fantastic. I didn't know anything, but I did know the test was somehow total b*llsh*t. I did see it a couple of more times, but by now wasn't having anything to do with it. I did see one for sale and was tempted to buy it and carry out my own tests to see what it was all about. Luckily the internet saved the day.

I also know that Molybdenum disulfide is a type of clay.....

lol.gif
Oh my.

What about the word 'plating' scares you? That's just how moly works, it 'plates'. Soluble organic moly or MoS2 suspension, really doesn't matter as they both wind up 'plating' the friction surface in service. Soluble organic moly additives are cleaner and tidier looking (and more efficient at a given treat rate) than MoS2 and don't fall out of suspension as readily because soluble molys are not solid 'plates' until it is activated in situ at the friction site to form MoS2 molecules which subsequently plate the surface and offer protection, just like solid suspended MoS2.

That is the way I understand it. But in areas where there's thousandths of an inch of tolerance between turning free and binding, I'm not how sure I am that I want anything plating up in those areas.

Most engine oils with moly are a micro/liquid non settling moly. It appears that this Schaeffers stuff has both.

Thousandths of inches tolerances are huge with respect to "plating" on a molecular level.

Shannow has Cut down the benefits of Schaeffers for years. I would contend that Schaeffers pioneering of moly, increased devolepment of moly, using the most advanced Moly and proven benefits of moly put Schaeffers at the forefront of advanced formulations of engine,hydraulic and gear oils, not to mention killer greases with moly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back