Plastic smell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone ever smell a plastic sorta smell when their auto is burning oil?
Mine has been smelling like plastic when I am burning it. I know the days I consume because I can smell that wierd smell. The days it does not consume I have no smell. Wierd smell.

Oils that have a high level of VII's added to them will smell more like plastic when they burn.
If you have an engine that runs hot, and is burning oil, I would probably say that is what you are smelling. I tried a little experiment once...put a couple different oils, small drops of each in some small aluminum pot-pie pans. I baked them in the oven. One oil was oil that I had added STP to that I was using as makeup oil for an older vehicle. It was very noticeable that the STP added oil stained the pan dark and smoked and smelled like the plastic smell before the others did.
NOTE: keep the fans running and don't do this when the wifey is home, she will look at you like you are crazy and make you clean the oven out 6 times before you can cook food again....not that I know about this from personal experience.....
Rando

Just what do you mean plastic like smell? To most people it is the nose burning stench of burning polystyrene such as styrofoam. Nylon and other nitrogen containing plastics smell like singed hair when burned. Polyethylene and propylene burn fairly cleanly giving off a mile oil like odor, much like ordinary paraffin candles. Real oil burning is what you smell when you get behind a car trailing blue smoke. Perhaps your car is more leaking oil onto the exhaust system and boiling it off.

I am also confused about "days that it burns oil". I didn't think that was an off and on thing.

ZR2, this reminds me of when I wash my Amsoil air filter in the dishwasher. I just wait until the wife is out somewhere. Haha.
cheers.gif

Plastics are made from petrochemicals just like motor oils are. There is just a few atoms difference between PAO and carpet, toys and the stuff that holds your car together.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Just what do you mean plastic like smell? *-*-*- Real oil burning is what you smell when you get behind a car trailing blue smoke. Perhaps your car is more leaking oil onto the exhaust system and boiling it off.

I am also confused about "days that it burns oil". I didn't think that was an off and on thing.

Okay, first off, This is a different blend than my other oils, and when they burn from a leak it smells like wonderful asphalt... I love the smell of burning oil on pipes, I dont want it but the smell I love.
Second off, it was right after the change that I noticed the smell. And I cant say the blend cause of other issues.
As far as the days, what I mean is that it usually happens when I go real fast and do it all day or at least for several hard hours of peddddle pumping work. When I keep it under 80-85ish or just cruze without humping the peddddddle with my lead foot, then it wont burn.
And the days it burns it makes the smell, I dont have to look I know.

The smell kinda smells.... Hummm man I don't know.

It kinda smells like I want to say a Non-dino smell, like a, OOOhha, like a little like the smell of a new car, and salad bowl wrapping..

It has a very distinct smell not like something BURNT, but more of something like a SUPER HEAVY FUEL ADDITIVE that changes the tailpipe smell if you know what I mean,,, not like oil but more like a plastic VEGIE smell, almost like a "green" plastic or like a Hospital-ish...???-non asphalt smell. It almost has that smell but much more mild in the bottle.
This smell almost rests on the palate but without a horrible taste, but I almost think I can taste it... The first two or three days it gave me a headache, and maybe even more, the first few days seemed worse... I'll try to pin point the smell better. I never thought of anything other than a plastic-very light like oil-hospital-clean-vegie smell.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
-*-*-* Perhaps your car is more leaking oil onto the exhaust system and boiling it off.

All seals have been replaced.
Front, rear, Valve under the car is dry and the engine is dry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back