Plastic Lawn Mower wheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lawn's starting to show a little green so I dragged the mower out of hibernation.

My Troy-Bilt mower's plastic wheels are starting to look like an old Type-1 Volkswagen's rear camber.

When I assembled it, I smeared a little Park-Lube on the metal shank for the mounting bolt but it couldn't make them last forever.

Would there be any negative effects (other than cost) to replacing them with steel bearing type wheels?
I can't think of any problems But I don't want to find out the hard way.

If you can find the same size wheels so you keep the height of the deck the same and find the correct size bearings to fit the spindle then I don't see a problem. I have a commercial exmark lawn mower and it has solid rubber wheels with bearings and they are nice. 528hrs on the original rubber tires and bearings.

Last edited by a moderator:
-2F here this morning. I just used my snowblower yesterday, I don't think the lawn mower will be running for a while as we have 3 feet of snow on the ground. I forgot what green grass looks like.

Originally Posted By: tmorris1
-2F here this morning. I just used my snowblower yesterday, I don't think the lawn mower will be running for a while as we have 3 feet of snow on the ground. I forgot what green grass looks like.

32.gif

I've been sitting back waiting on the lawn mower threads to erupt. For me, I've been mowing year round. I set the blade down to 1.5" and mowed the Bermuda grass over the weekend. I put the fertilizer down 2 weeks ago and it's green now. I'd say another 2 weeks and I'll be seeding in some areas.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

Would there be any negative effects (other than cost) to replacing them with steel bearing type wheels?
I can't think of any problems But I don't want to find out the hard way.

As long as the spindles and related hardware will support it, you'd be good to go. Better than OEM.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back