Plastic bits on filter gasket

I opened the hood and listened to it running. There was constant ticking noise which i assume are lifters sticking from sludge. Every so often at the same interval there was a loud click. Don’t know what that would be.

Drain this "sludge" oil into a clear cheapo container from dollar tree and see if it is truly that nasty visually.......
It's hard to translate noises via bitog it could be just the injectors clicking or a true valve train tick /nock or even your a/c clutch cycling making the "loud" click

Also if you frequent you tube watch the FORDBOSSME 5.6 sludge engine......sounds like your issue exactly

I have never done this. What is the best way to strain the oil?
Go get some paint strainers, like this. You might be able to buy them at the hardware store too. If there is anything too large to get sucked up by the oil pump it could come out with the drained oil, so if you strain the drained oil you might see something.

Here's a 4-pack at Lowes for $0.98.

At the dealer when they showed me the dipstick it was covered in sludge and the oil fill area was also. I have changed the oil a couple times at 500mi each. The last oil change you could see where globs of assuming sludge was coming out. I put marvel mystery oil in this last oil change. The dipstick now is clean and I barely get sludge on the tip of the dipstick when i put it into the oil fill area. Looks like just shortening OCI is clearing the sludge out.

At the dealer when they showed me the dipstick it was covered in sludge and the oil fill area was also. I have changed the oil a couple times at 500mi each. The last oil change you could see where globs of assuming sludge was coming out. I put marvel mystery oil in this last oil change. The dipstick now is clean and I barely get sludge on the tip of the dipstick when i put it into the oil fill area. Looks like just shortening OCI is clearing the sludge out.
Did you buy this vehicle new or used? Only lack of timely oil changes could cause sludge build-up like that, unless some really bad dollar store oil has been used.

I bought it new. I always used mobil1 what could have caused it i was using extra guard filter and changing it every other oil change. I think that wasn’t a good enough filter to do that? As it is now. My oil pressure is fine. No engine warning lights. Oil on dipstick is clean. I get a little sludge on the tip of disptick if i put it into the oil fill. I cut open the oil filter and the pleats where clean. I am going yo filter the oil and see if anything is in that. Would just doing a couple more short OCI be good for now before doing anything more drastic? I do plan on dropping the oil pan and looking into it.

This was strained from the oil. It is either rubber or plastic bits. What would these be from?

FA40811C-C383-489F-A0F2-252D933FDE42.jpeg

Attachments

• CCCE4C99-2512-4A9D-868A-787EFD2D39B2.jpeg
    CCCE4C99-2512-4A9D-868A-787EFD2D39B2.jpeg
    182.7 KB · Views: 6
I bought it new. I always used mobil1 what could have caused it i was using extra guard filter and changing it every other oil change. I think that wasn’t a good enough filter to do that? As it is now. My oil pressure is fine. No engine warning lights. Oil on dipstick is clean. I get a little sludge on the tip of disptick if i put it into the oil fill. I cut open the oil filter and the pleats where clean. I am going yo filter the oil and see if anything is in that. Would just doing a couple more short OCI be good for now before doing anything more drastic? I do plan on dropping the oil pan and looking into it.
The oil filter doesn't cause sludge or whatever it is to form.

You say the filter pleats were clean, yet there is this sludge/crud in the oil, which doesn't add up because if the engine was contaminated the filter should show signs of it to.

The oil filter doesn't cause sludge or whatever it is to form.

You say the filter pleats were clean, yet there is this sludge/crud in the oil, which doesn't add up because if the engine was contaminated the filter should show signs of it to.
This is the second filter i have cut open and neither had sludge in them. At the dealer the dipstick was covered in sludge and the oil fill area had it also. The dipstick now is clean and oil looks good. Would all the sludge from before be in the oil pan or have come out already. I am probably on my third oil change since discovering the sludge at the dealer.

I came across a technical service bulletin for engine knocking and/or ticking. This applies for vin numbers just before mine was built. It talks about inspecting inside -#7 sparkug for cylinder scuffing and if it is present to replace the short engine assembly. If there is the cylinder scuffing issue, would this have caused the sludge problem?

I came across a technical service bulletin for engine knocking and/or ticking. This applies for vin numbers just before mine was built. It talks about inspecting inside -#7 sparkug for cylinder scuffing and if it is present to replace the short engine assembly. If there is the cylinder scuffing issue, would this have caused the sludge problem?
No, it wouldn't cause the sludge problem. Sludge is caused by negligent intervals, low oil levels, and excessive moisture or coolant in the oil.

I took my van to a mechanic. The ticking noise is a failing lifter for the high pressure fuel system. If it isn’t too damaged it should come right out and be an easy swap. Would this have caused the sludge issue or was it damaged from the sludge?

I took my van to a mechanic. The ticking noise is a failing lifter for the high pressure fuel system. If it isn’t too damaged it should come right out and be an easy swap. Would this have caused the sludge issue or was it damaged from the sludge?
Mechanical problems like that don't cause oil to sludge.

Back