Plastic bits on filter gasket

I have a DI 2019 Nissan Nv3500 with the 5.6L v8. I noticed a vibration on hard acceleration and the check engine light was on. I took it to a dealer and they said the engine was sludged up and i needed a new engine. And this was due to lack of oil changing. I do this myself so that wasn’t the cause. I got it home and drained oil. Not much came out. I had the van towed to a shop. They filled it with oil and the error code went away and they said everything appeared normal. I changed the oil again after that visit not too long after and there were a couple very tiny bits of gray plastic on the oil filter gasket. I took apart the filter and nothing was in the pleats. I also get a very slight metal vibration accelrating from a stop and
Shifting to second. Sounds like a loose heat shield buy everything appeared tight. For the sludge i am going to change oil on a frequent interval for awhile. I am sending off an oil sample to blackstone. I don’t know if my timing chain guides are damaged which is causing the rattle sound. Any thoughts??

How many miles on it?

Next time the check engine light comes on, pull the trouble codes with a scan tool.

Not much oil came out? Either it's leaking, or burning, or the dealer shop is evil and stole your oil and hopes the engine grenades. ;)

If you think timing guides or something else plastic has broken, drop the oil pan to see if the bulk of the pieces are there.

Poke around under the vehicle to find potential loose heat shield or whatever that might vibrate. See if you can replicate the vibration in park or only if driving.

Do you have proof that you changed the oil on a prescribed interval? Surely, SURELY you kept these records to preserve your warranty. This may fall under powertrain warranty repair so it is puzzling why the dealer did not bring this up! You are not required to have the dealer do the oil changes to preserve the warranty, just have proof when they were done. Edit:: This is if you are in the US, I don't know the applicable consumer protection laws in other countries, nor the specific warranty on an NV3500.

I agree with Bottom_Feeder, there is a lot missing from this story.

Last edited:
Did you strain the drained oil to see if there were any larger pieces of debris in the oil?

Did you strain the drained oil to see if there were any larger pieces of debris in the oil?
I didn’t see any. I am about to change the oil again and will cut open filter and drop the oil pan to see what is in it.

You DIY the oil changes and can't use a dipstick?

Am I missing something here?

You didn't pop the hood before going to the dealer.
Then you drove it home? or maybe towed? and little oil drained out? Why wasn't it topped off at the dealer? Why didn't you check oil before leaving dealer?
You needed it towed to a shop to 'add oil'.

Use a 5w40 or 0w40 oil. Maybe you can control some of the oil consumption since the dipstick is too difficult to use regularly.

Seems like the shop should have at least checked the oil level.

It must have been getting the "Free" oil changes provided by the Nissan dealer

Watch the FORD BOSS ME where he tears down one just like yours same story sludge to the point its nearly to late .......

they said the engine was sludged up and i needed a new engine. And this was due to lack of oil changing. I do this myself so that wasn’t the cause. I got it home and drained oil. Not much came out. I had the van towed to a shop. They filled it with oil and the error code went away and they said everything appeared normal.
So they said you need a new engine, then they filled the oil and said everything is good?

In case it didn't register previously, you need to figure out why you're losing oil, and check it often if you need to keep driving it. I can only guess that at 91K mi you have exceeded the powertrain warranty mileage.

Last edited:
I have been checking the oil and it looks good and full. When the shop filled it back up with oil the check engine light went away and didn’t show anymore error codes.

I have been checking the oil and it looks good and full. When the shop filled it back up with oil the check engine light went away and didn’t show anymore error codes.
That engine probably has a low oil level sensor. Check your owner's manual.

Back