Plastic bits on filter gasket

An update. The lifter valve for the high pressure fuel system was seized which was causing the ticking noise. It had beat into the high pressure fuel pump also. So will be replacing that also. Cam looks fine. Hopefully that is all the issues. I don’t know if the lifter valve seizing would cause the sludge buildup that I had? I had changed my oil on a regular basis so lack of oil changes shouldn’t have caused it.

No, it wouldn't cause the sludge problem. Sludge is caused by negligent intervals, low oil levels, and excessive moisture or coolant in the oil.
He gave you all the causes of sludge.

My thought is just a guess, but maybe one of the filters you ran for 2 OCI's got clogged with dirt and debris (like your showed in the pics) and was operating in bypass the whole time and allowed it to spread everywhere? These guys have way more knowledge than me, so I am just throwing a random dart here. I could be totally wrong.

If you plan to continue doing your own OC's then I would suggest figuring out an OCI schedule that is easy for you to keep up with and changing oil and filter every time. Keep it as boring and routine as possible. Less chance of messing something up.

Also, curious as to what Blackstone's report will say.

Last edited:
Sludge was simple lack of maintenance or you got some other issue such as the thermostats stuck open is another possibility

Get a good gentle flush there are many options discussed here on bitog and a few short cycle oil changes and continue on

I am going to switch to 5,000 mi OCI with a fram ultra filter and change both each time. I am wondering if using the filter longer did it. I have had the high pressure fuel pump replaced. And the mechanic found the source of the slight ticking/rattle sound. The flange between exhaust and cat was slightly loose he tightened it and it has gone away. He is going to put a gasket between the flange so all
Is good for now.

Sludge was simple lack of maintenance or you got some other issue such as the thermostats stuck open is another possibility

Get a good gentle flush there are many options discussed here on bitog and a few short cycle oil changes and continue on
I have done several short oci. My dipstick is clean now.

Back