Plastic bag vs Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a plastic bag catch and melt on my exhaust once. Was a pretty smelly experience. Made me think I was burning a ton of oil.

Originally Posted by 2010Civic
Had a plastic bag stick to the exhaust. Smelled terrible for a week or two.

my dad did that several years ago...kept complaining something was wrong with his car cause of the smell...he never knew he ran over the tarp...pulled what I could off then after a week or two all was well

Originally Posted by PimTac
I had the LS trim as well. The color was Nairobi Beige I think. It was the 2000 model year.

Was the 3.5 in the upper trim line? I didn't hear much about that engine in the Sports. I knew it was in the full sized Montero.

The base model Sport cane with the 2.4 four banger. I couldn't imagine driving with that.

Besides the minor weeping it never used any oil. It ran its whole life on M1 5w30. Other than normal maintenance it never visited the shop.

It was available on the Sport. Here's an '04 Sport LS w/the 3.5L. The engine was capable of much more hp. Both the 3000GT VR4 and Dodge Stealth R/T got twin turbo versions of the engine making well over 300bhp.

Sport 3.5L

Picked up my '97 Saturn after it had been in the body shop after an unfortunate incident involving a storm and a large tree branch. Had to have the fender repainted, some dents in the hood and roof fixed, and the windshield replaced. Looked great when I left the shop, just like new again. Later that night I'm on the highway and I hear a slapping noise like something stuck to a tire. Pulled over, didn't see anything on the tire. Got back home where I could get a better look, and found a large sheet of plastic wrapped around the driveshaft - with paint on it that matched the car
mad.gif
. Not so easy to remove when it's twisted up and tied in knots, and using the utility knife is limited by the CV boots that are now covered with plastic. Saved the plastic with the paint on it and gave the body shop some flack about how the plastic ended up in the driveshaft. They agreed it must have been the plastic they covered the wheel with when they sprayed the fender, but they had no idea how it ended up there.

Buddy who has an 04 Tacoma had a plastic bag get wrapped around a CV joint. Tore the boot, let water and grit in, and ruined the axle.

The zip tie around the driveshaft prank is hilarious. Never thought of that one. Would make a helluva racket, especially if it was one of those big ones.

I had just repaired a Honda Accord due to a wreck for an elderly gentleman - brand new front fascia, hood and radiator. Gave him the car back and he was so happy with the work. 3 days later he called to say I need to replace the facia again - he ran over a mattress and it ripped the fascia off . It went under the car and out the back completely fubared. He could not avoid it.

On another note, I had a plastic bag hang on my exhaust and, like others said, an awful weekl long smell. I also wish we still used paper bags.

Last edited:
Worst I had so far was a plastic grocery bag floating down the highway got caught on my mirror, made a bunch of racket and blocked the view. Couldn't reach it without unbuckling, so I left it. Came off on its own when I got down to 20 mph.

Originally Posted by DriveHard
I hit one on a trip about 20 years ago...almost perfectly covered the radiator...kept cruising, and watched as the temperature slowly climbed on the gauge. I pulled over to the side of the road to take it off, and the wind blew it away. Car returned to normal temp, and the journey continued.

I take it your car had an actual temperature gauge as opposed to the dummy gauges now equipped. My old I4 accord showed just under halfway until about 240F, the operating temperature is 186F. When it hit 240, it went right up to the red. I got air in the cooling system by removing a small throttle body coolant hose... Never got the V6 over 220F, still didn't move.

Knock on wood I have never had a bag melt to my exhaust but I have had many butt clenching moments running over them with my eyes immediately going to the rear view to see if they fly out. Have not had to experience the smell yet but have no desire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back