Plastic Bag on Exhaust Pipe

FIL said his car had a burning smell. To me, it smelled like burning Elmer’s glue.

Thankfully it wasn’t related to the recent engine overhaul. There was a bag that had melted onto the exhaust pipe. I have heard of this happening, but had not dealt with one until now. Let’s just say I spent 3 hrs cleaning this and it is still far from perfect.

Before:
C7305C59-0FA4-4B2F-AC86-C5A373D6B851.jpeg

E4C68069-C290-412B-806F-2380D7127C8C.jpeg

After:
4409CC58-2CC3-4C4D-83A1-633D506A4100.jpeg

4544EEB1-F28A-48BB-ACBD-D618D0864041.jpeg

The smell has been greatly reduced. The remainder should burn off in a few weeks.

I highly recommend avoiding plastic bags on the roadway. 🤯

Thankfully none of the ones I've run over have ended up on the exhaust, but I've had plenty of them plastered against my front end. I probably look like a nut bag dodging them in the road but I hate running them over, because most of the time I look in the mirror and see no sign of it coming out from underneath.

I ran over a BBQ grill cover that blew off some tourist's vehicle on the Maine Turnpike.

I saw it go between my two front wheels... didn't exit the back end.

It stuck real good, the fake (?) asbestos fibers and nylon really wanted to be a part of the tailpipe.

oof. looks like a pretty good result though.

But spill what kind of removal process did you do? tools? procedure?
Anyone here might need that valuable info.

Had a paper bag get hung on a converter, and then the bag ignited. Smelled burning paper and was "that's weired, I smell burning paper". Stopped and opened the hood and had a fire going on the converter. Fortunately, the bag was smaller and the fire was contained within the converter heat shield area. The fire burned off all the insulation on the O2 sensor wires though, and I disconnected the battery to prevent damage to the PCM. Replaced the O2 sensor the next day and all is well.

Litterbugs cost money for cleanup, but the cost this time was personal. Aggravating.

Had something very similar happen to me last summer.
Saw a black garbage bag gliding over the roadway. I thought I was about to out-steer it.
Only when I confirmed with my rear-view mirror, did I realize I had to pull over ASAP to pull it off the underside.

Sure enough, it had just started fusing but I have no doubt that it would have pulled the rest of the bag towards the exhaust and made a real mess.
Even though it was a small amount burnt to the pipe, it took about a month of driving before the smell was completely gone.

I had a friend saying their car smelled funny when starting it. When I got a whiff of the smell, I over reacted, & disconnected the battery cable. Figured there was an electrical short in the wires, thought it was burning the insulation off the wiring somewhere. Searched all through the engine compartment, then found the culprit shopping bag under the car.

oof. looks like a pretty good result though.

But spill what kind of removal process did you do? tools? procedure?
Anyone here might need that valuable info.
@The Critic What did you use to clean it? A flap wheel on angle grinder?

Those chisels plus a hammer. Used this combo to remove the large chunks.
Accessible areas then received a buff using a 3m roloc disc to remove small bits. The inaccessible areas were scuffed with a scotchbrite disc. I think I removed 75% of it. Hopefully the remainder will burn off in the next few weeks.

ah I was thinking about a oscillating multitool with scraper.
Then a rust remover wheel on the angle grinder.

Your way sounds less noisy :)

It's been a year and a half since they banned them here and recently I've been amazed how much less trash I see on the side of the road and around town.
We still have plastic bags here, but they are not all over the road. No drinking straws either piling up on the free way, still legal, oh the humanity! I think the problem with garbage on the roads is a people issue not a plastic issue. Was in the city one time, red light, front passenger in the car next to me opens his door, dumps his McDonalds into the middle of the street, closes it and then stares at me as I shake my head at him (and build up the revs for a safe getaway).

Those chisels plus a hammer. Used this combo to remove the large chunks.
Accessible areas then received a buff using a 3m roloc disc to remove small bits. The inaccessible areas were scuffed with a scotchbrite disc. I think I removed 75% of it. Hopefully the remainder will burn off in the next few weeks.
Nice work!

Back