Plant Based "Butter"

many plant foods boast high nutrition BUT in reality most are poorly absorbed!! real grass fed butter for me + for best pie crust use pig fat which can be purchased economically on line rather than the good but overpriced Fatworks stuff.

Higher fat content in the cream they used to churn.

Remember, fat equals flavor
Speaking of fat content, KerryGold is at 82%.

This US made Vital Farms one I just picked up claims 85%. I haven't tried it yet.

Strauss Farms would have the cultured butter with the highest fat content commonly available in this country. 85-88% fat, I believe. Their cream in glass bottles is also top notch.

Last edited:
Old-timers will tell you there were once strict laws covering margarine. It couldn't be sold colored, for example, so a buyer would get a packet of yellow color to add to the margarine to make it look like butter. Those old laws were holdovers from the bad old days before food-safety laws before World War I. When reform came, it brought a lot of laws covering food.

So I wonder if it's legal to call plant-based margarine "plant butter" today.

So I wonder if it's legal to call plant-based margarine "plant butter" today.
Plant-Based Butter Is Margarine With Better Marketing
Amid the rising interest in plant-based foods, the formula for margarine was slightly tweaked to remove all animal ingredients, and plant butter was born. Except, again, it’s not butter. It’s margarine.

This makes plant-based butter a mislabeled food, a big no-no in the industry. It’s not following the legal definitions set by the CFR and the various laws that help regulate our food supply.

If it’s illegal, why hasn’t the government stepped in?

The Food and Drug Administration should be the regulating body to intervene, but so far, there’s only been crickets. It’s likely that recent budget cuts and chronic underfunding mean the FDA doesn’t have the manpower to attack a problem that isn’t actively harming American citizens. Margarine being mislabeled as butter is, for good reason, low on the list of priorities.

Butter good, nut butter good. Avocado itself makes a god spread. No need to extract avocado oil and to emulsify it to make a tasteless product.

Last edited:
many plant foods boast high nutrition BUT in reality most are poorly absorbed!! real grass fed butter for me + for best pie crust use pig fat which can be purchased economically on line rather than the good but overpriced Fatworks stuff.
You just have to eat more. I don't get the concept of "high nutrition" when we have to pay a lot more, you can always eat more of the cheaper stuff you know.

The highest nutritional content stuff people lack these days are leafy vegetables. Mom was right, eat your vegetables.

Back