Plant Based "Butter"

I picked up these at a local Grocery Outlet for about $1.49 each. They sell foods that are close to being outdated, and other foods that may have been salvaged from a truck accident. I've gotten some good deal in there lately.
Of these, the one on the left is my favorite.
It doesn't taste like butter but it tastes good and a little salty, which I like.
I put it on pre cooked potatoes today and it was really good.
They both contain avocado oil as well as palm kernel oil.

I don't see myself buying this stuff very often, but I thought I'd try it.
Palm oil is not sustainable.

P1000313.JPG

I use avocado oil for cooking sometimes, but wouldn’t this sort of stuff need to be hydrogenated? I don’t think I’d buy either…. I’d buy butter and an avocado and call it a day. Store brand butter if it didn’t matter, Kerrygold if it did.

I use avocado oil for cooking sometimes, but wouldn’t this sort of stuff need to be hydrogenated? I don’t think I’d buy either…. I’d buy butter and an avocado and call it a day. Store brand butter if it didn’t matter, Kerrygold if it did.
It's not hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated.
I wouldn't have bought it if it was.
The stuff seems to make my face feel greasy so perhaps it's not as compatible with my body as coconut oil, butter, or EVOO.

They give you a 10 ounce tub of it, trying to fake you into thinking it's a one pound tub.
That's the new way to rip off the consumer, instead of raising prices they reduce the size of the container and hope you won't notice.

One allergist told me I am (moderately) allergic to peanuts so I've been avoiding them. I started eating sunflower butter. It's really good. More expensive that peanut butter and the oil separates a little. My new allergist told me peanuts were ok for me so I've been eating a little Skippy chunky without any bad reactions.

We don't eat margarine. We stick with butter.

Butter is one that for sure that stands out when I travel to Europe. European butter is very tasty.

They give you a 10 ounce tub of it, trying to fake you into thinking it's a one pound tub.
That's the new way to rip off the consumer, instead of raising prices they reduce the size of the container and hope you won't notice.
I feel "plant butter" was a way to trick pretentious people into paying more for margarine.

It's not hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated.
I wouldn't have bought it if it was.
The stuff seems to make my face feel greasy so perhaps it's not as compatible with my body as coconut oil, butter, or EVOO.
So how is it solid then? Is palm oil solid at room temperature? Avocado oil isn’t…

One allergist told me I am (moderately) allergic to peanuts so I've been avoiding them. I started eating sunflower butter. It's really good. More expensive that peanut butter and the oil separates a little. My new allergist told me peanuts were ok for me so I've been eating a little Skippy chunky without any bad reactions.

We don't eat margarine. We stick with butter.
We quit using motor oil as food decades ago. That is what margarine actually is, unless you want to call it biodiesel. Olive oil makes a pretty good spread, with some salt and seasoning.

Back