Plan for extending OCI from Nissan's 5k to 10k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've decided it's not worth my time to even seek the go-ahead from Nissan so it will be 5k OCIs until the end of warranty.

I changed the oil at 1000 miles to remove the break-in debris and subsequently learned that getting rid of the Chinese filter for the Mexican parts-counter filter was a good idea. I'm not going to bother analyzing the PYB oil that will only be in there 4k miles. The dealer gives me my "first" oil change for free. I'll ask what oil they use. At 10k miles I'll switch to Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 and do UOA to get a baseline performance on the oil and filter to see if 10k OCIs are feasible.

I'm probably one of the more committed people on BiTOG to long drains, but even I wouldn't tempt fate by not adhering to the letter of the owners manual during the warranty period. Once the warranty period has expired, do the UOA at 5k, or even 7.5k with the M1 EP oil, and extrapolate accordingly for subsequent intervals.

Quote:
I changed the oil at 1000 miles to remove the break-in debris and subsequently learned that getting rid of the Chinese filter for the Mexican parts-counter filter was a good idea

What precisely is wrong with the "Chinese" filter?

I have a 2 week old '15 Desert Runner.
It amazes me when I see people spend thousands of $$ for a new vehicle and want to go cheap on one of the most important things that will make the vehicle dependable for years. OC using OEM filter and M1 oil from WM is approx $30 by me. ($24 w/dino)
Follow Nissan's 5K schedule. $24/30 OC's are way cheaper than an engine.

I will be meeting the terms of my warranty until the warranty period is past.

There was a report of Chinese Nissan filters where the cardboard end caps nearly filled the can so that oil flow was restricted. The filter paper is also suspect. I cut my filter open and it did not appear to have these issues.

Quote:
I will be meeting the terms of my warranty until the warranty period is past.

If you are going to keep this truck for as long as you claim, 5K OCI. Again, oil is cheaper than engines.
Join a Frontier forum and ask them their opinion. Lots of high mileage guys there.

I have spent some time on clubfrontier.com, but most of those trucks are V6, plenty are 4WD and my truck is neither. There is a 4-cylinder section, but it doesn't get a lot of traffic. There are several reports of these second generation Frontiers going high miles with only indifferent care, but they appear to be getting greater than average use. My plan is not for indifferent care, but careful care managed by usage and analysis while avoiding waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back