Plan for 2018 2.7 ecoboost in Ford F150, M1 EP HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by kehyler
Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Rand
Originally Posted by dave1251
At 5K use the cheapest API spec oil you can find. Synthetic is at no value to you at this interval. None.

I would disagree this is a 2.7L turbo engine in a full size truck.

also ford has a spec the oil has to meet.

PYB meets it

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...32e26a1/Pennzoil-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil.pdf

This does not meet Ford's spec for my engine.

According to SOPUS it does. Now who knows more about lubrication SOPUS or you?

Originally Posted by lawrencerd
I just did a quick check...Valvoline meets the spec in their white bottle daily protection oil, red bottle maxlife synthetic blend, and both their normal and high mileage synthetic oils. If you want something that also meets dexos 1 gen 2, their synthetics check that box.

Any chance you can point me to a web link?

"According to SOPUS it does. Now who knows more about lubrication SOPUS or you?"

Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 if you're cheap and want a good oil or go with AMSOIL SS 5w30. Personally, I use AMSOIL SS 0w30 year round and live stress free.

I just did a quick check...Valvoline meets the spec in their white bottle daily protection oil, red bottle maxlife synthetic blend, and both their normal and high mileage synthetic oils. If you want something that also meets dexos 1 gen 2, their synthetics check that box.

Are you simply concerned with finding a oil for warranty purposes?

Price point?
Severe driving?
Severe temps?
Extended intervals?

What are u needing in a oil?

Most conventionals meet the "B1" Ford spec

Last edited:
"According to SOPUS it does. Now who knows more about lubrication SOPUS or you?"

[email protected] email them. You will get your response tomorrow morning. The 946-B spec is API SN+ equivalent.

Originally Posted by 209paulc

Price point?
Severe driving?
Severe temps?
Extended intervals?

I think what I'm mostly for the cheapest full synthetic (made by a reputable manufacturer) that meets or exceeds WSS-M2C946-B1.

Price point?
Severe driving?
Severe temps?
Extended intervals?

I think what I'm mostly for the cheapest full synthetic (made by a reputable manufacturer) that meets or exceeds WSS-M2C946-B1.

All Dexos1 Gen2 oils exceed Ford's spec.

Best price point is Quaker State, Pennzoil and Valvoline

Best piece-of-mind Motorcraft oils

I own a 2016 F150 2.7 and prefer Mobil 0w40.

The "B1" spec is easily achieved by most conventionals and sny-blends.

Geez this topic takes me back to late 2010 when Dexos1 rolled out and everyone owning a 2011 GM vehicle was questioning the outgoing GM oil spec

I am not sure a synthetic will do any better than Motorcraft 5w30 unless a 40wt is used.
I am, Running Motorcraft or the cheapest to spec oil in the 2018 f150 with the 2.7 eb I use at work.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
I am not sure a synthetic will do any better than Motorcraft 5w30 unless a 40wt is used.
Running Motorcraft or the cheapest to spec oil in the 2018 f150 with the 2.7 eb I use at work.

I totally agree....easily a 7.5k miles oil!

California summers, towing and extended OCIs is why I perfer the 40wt Euro Oils.

Travel trailer is up for sale and after its gone I'm seriously considering extending my intervals to 12-15k miles. Fuel dilution and wear on these 2.7s are far better then the 3.5s and even those can easily handle 10k OCIs. My commute (80 miles roundtrip) is extremely easy...15k miles should be achievable with mobil1 0w40

Last edited:
I only have around 5900 miles on the factory fill on the work truck. Probably goi g to have it changed I. The next week or two, unless the owner insist on running it till the OLM indicates which would be around 10k , it's Their truck. I like the engine. Moves the 4x4 STX really well.

Originally Posted by Bryanccfshr
Running Motorcraft or the cheapest to spec oil in the 2018 f150 with the 2.7 eb I use at work.

I totally agree....easily a 7.5k miles oil!

California summers, towing and extended OCIs is why I perfer the 40wt Euro Oils.

Travel trailer is up for sale and after its gone I'm seriously considering extending my intervals to 12-15k miles. Fuel dilution and wear on these 2.7s are far better then the 3.5s and even those can easily handle 10k OCIs. My commute (80 miles roundtrip) is extremely easy...15k miles should be achievable with mobil1 0w40

Use what meets required specs in your owner's manual and change when it says to. It's really not as complicated as half the people on here make it. I'd buy the cheapest oil that meets spec, personally.

Originally Posted by HowAboutThis
Use what meets required specs in your owner's manual and change when it says to. It's really not as complicated as half the people on here make it. I'd buy the cheapest oil that meets spec, personally.

Bet vanilla is your favorite ice cream flavor

Originally Posted by Brigadier
Valvoline Full Synth meets your specs

https://www.valvoline.com/en-australia/our-products/engine-oil/synpower-synthetic-engine-oil-5w-30

As does M1 Truck & SUV 5W30

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-truck-and-suv

As does the regular M1 5W30

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricants/products/mobil-1-5w30

Thanks for the list, I'll add M1 5W30, and M1 Truck & SUV 5W30.

I was not able to confirm that valvoline meets the WSS-M2C946-B1. Did you?

It shows it on the page I linked, just click 'Product Details' at the bottom of the page.

Valvoline Full Synth meets your specs

https://www.valvoline.com/en-australia/our-products/engine-oil/synpower-synthetic-engine-oil-5w-30

As does M1 Truck & SUV 5W30

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-truck-and-suv

As does the regular M1 5W30

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricants/products/mobil-1-5w30

Thanks for the list, I'll add M1 5W30, and M1 Truck & SUV 5W30.

I was not able to confirm that valvoline meets the WSS-M2C946-B1. Did you?

It shows it on the page I linked, just click 'Product Details' at the bottom of the page.

I thought that "meets or exceeds" bore some legal weight. The valvoline link just says "performance level."

Originally Posted by MParr
Nope, I wouldn't go that route. 5W30 grade oil is fine but, I wouldn't use the high mileage stuff. The Dexos1-Gen 2 label isn't the be all and end all. It's a Ford, go with the Ford spec. Quaker State Ultimate Dependability 5W30 is a good oil for the money. Change oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use premium gas.

Are you swayed at all that M1 HM passed ILSAC GF-5 which includes a seal compatibility test?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back