Plan for 2018 2.7 ecoboost in Ford F150, M1 EP HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Brigadier
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by tig1
Why HM oil with a new engine?

That oil meets the ford -B1 spec and just happens to be HM.

Is there any harm to a new engine using HM oil? Is there a warning on the bottle or something?

If the HM oil meets your spec, nothing to worry about....

Ditto

Yeah, I don't want to run HM if it has substantiated risks. Does anyone know of someone who, while using HM variant oil in a new engine has caused a seal to rupture/leak?

(I'm asking because I don't know, I'm not trying to start any argument.)

Originally Posted by dave1251
At 5K use the cheapest API spec oil you can find. Synthetic is at no value to you at this interval. None.

I would disagree this is a 2.7L turbo engine in a full size truck.

also ford has a spec the oil has to meet.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by Rand
At 5K use the cheapest API spec oil you can find. Synthetic is at no value to you at this interval. None.

PYB meets it

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...32e26a1/Pennzoil-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil.pdf

???????

Interesting I see online it says WSS-M2C946-A but the OP says -B1. Hmmm

Last edited:

Well disagree at the very least know every API SN GF-5 meets the Motorcraft spec and the OCI is up to 10K miles. At half the interval it is a very short change which does not tax the 6 quarts of oil at all. There is nothing extraordinary about the spec.

I use Mobil 1 5W-30 for our 2.3 Ecoboost Explorer. I posted the UOA's. Wear metals were fine, there was some viscosity shearing, not a lot. The winter run was 6,200 miles with lots of remote starts and the summer run was 7,000 miles. The summer run stayed within the 30 wt viscosity, the winter run JUST went into a 20 wt viscosity. Considering this is a small DI Turbo engine in a heavy vehicle I think the Mobil 1 5W-30 did well.

Whimsey

I wouldn't get fixated over the "B1" spec. The new spec was Ford's answer to help with LSPI. Your 2018 has dual port injection which is even less prone to LSPI.....frankly Ford was late to address the issue and Dexos1 Gen 2 oil are even better than Fors specs..

Last edited:
I have a 2016 2.7 Ecoboost F150 Lariat that currently is showing 42,000 miles. No doubt, a great power plant. I choose to run the Motorcraft Semi/Syn 5w-30 in mine. I went with 7000-7500 mile change intervals based on an oil analysis. There aren't that many high mileage 2.7's out there yet but I'm close friends with a gentleman that has a 2016 2.7 crew cab XL that as of yesterday had 247,000 miles showing. Pat's not a "car guy", so he simply does what the owners manual suggests. He runs the recommended Motorcraft semi/syn until the OLM tells him to change it, which in his use, is every 10,000 miles. It seems to work.
Personally, I think we tend to overthink these things.

Last edited:
Magnetec
wink.gif

Your plan will be fine, as will any other oil that meets the required specification. No need to overthink things.

I've got a 2016 F150 with the 2.7. I choose to use motorcraft semi-syn 5w30 in my truck, changed about every 7500 miles. The truck still makes me smile everytime I drive it, 40,000 miles in...

A lot of misconception on here of what a HM oil is. Plain vanilla Mobil1 would work fine for those short OCI's. Even for 10k OCI's.

Originally Posted by DavidJones
I have a 2016 2.7 Ecoboost F150 Lariat that currently is showing 42,000 miles. No doubt, a great power plant. I choose to run the Motorcraft Semi/Syn 5w-30 in mine. I went with 7000-7500 mile change intervals based on an oil analysis. There aren't that many high mileage 2.7's out there yet but I'm close friends with a gentleman that has a 2016 2.7 crew cab XL that as of yesterday had 247,000 miles showing. Pat's not a "car guy", so he simply does what the owners manual suggests. He runs the recommended Motorcraft semi/syn until the OLM tells him to change it, which in his use, is every 10,000 miles. It seems to work.
Personally, I think we tend to overthink these things.

I agree. There are a few here who have received the short end but by over maintaining equipment all which ends up being done is kicking the can and bandaiding bullet holes.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells

PYB meets it

https://www.pennzoil.com/en_us/prod...32e26a1/Pennzoil-SAE-5W-30-Motor-Oil.pdf

This does not meet Ford's spec for my engine.

Valvoline Full Synth meets your specs

https://www.valvoline.com/en-australia/our-products/engine-oil/synpower-synthetic-engine-oil-5w-30

As does M1 Truck & SUV 5W30

https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-truck-and-suv

As does the regular M1 5W30

https://www.mobil.com/en/industrial/lubricants/products/mobil-1-5w30

Thanks for the list, I'll add M1 5W30, and M1 Truck & SUV 5W30.

I was not able to confirm that valvoline meets the WSS-M2C946-B1. Did you?

I just did a quick check...Valvoline meets the spec in their white bottle daily protection oil, red bottle maxlife synthetic blend, and both their normal and high mileage synthetic oils. If you want something that also meets dexos 1 gen 2, their synthetics check that box.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back