Plan for 2018 2.7 ecoboost in Ford F150, M1 EP HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by racin4ds
I'd get away from M1 all together and run PP or PUP 5W30 and as said above, ALWAYS use premium fuel regardless if the owners manual tells you that you don't have to. You have a very high output turbocharged engine, running regular junk gasoline is just a idiotic thing to do.

Are you swayed at all that M1 HM passed ILSAC GF-5 which includes a seal compatibility test?

Also, by premium fuel, do you mean top tier or higher octane?

Originally Posted by diyjake
I wouldn't say Pennzoil is better than Mobil1, run either one of them and you will be fine. Stay away from high mileage oils.

Are you swayed at all that M1 HM passed ILSAC GF-5 which includes a seal compatibility test?

Originally Posted by spj
Mobil 1 AP is what I run in my 2.7 ecoboost and meets the spec.

Yeah, its just that AP is soo expensive haha.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by tig1
Why HM oil with a new engine?

That oil meets the ford -B1 spec and just happens to be HM.

Is there any harm to a new engine using HM oil? Is there a warning on the bottle or something?

I'm curious about this too, and I'm not intending to start an argument. Do we know of real-cases of people who have caused seal leaks?

Originally Posted by Cujet
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by tig1
Why HM oil with a new engine?

That oil meets the ford -B1 spec and just happens to be HM.

Is there any harm to a new engine using HM oil? Is there a warning on the bottle or something?

The thought is that HM oils have seal swelling compounds in them. This helps prevent leaks. Some HM oils also tend towards the high end of the viscosity.

I'd simply use M1 Extended Performance and go on your way. More importantly, change the oil frequently. Oil that's full of fuel byproducts, soot and particulates is not the ideal thing for your engine.

I have 2018 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 2.7. Amazing engine. I choose 5000 mile oil changes.

Interesting, that's the exact truck I have. Was your 5000 miles choosen based off UOA?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
I would look for a full synthetic oil that meets specs , is readily available and you can find on sale / clearance / rebate .

Would not think HM oil is needed . No idea is DEXOS ( GM ) spec oil also meets Ford spec .

I would also drain & will with new filter at about 5000 miles .

Can fuel dilution in the oil be smelled on the dip stick , when you check oil level ?

What kind of MPG are you getting ?

I haven't smelled the oil yet, and I just changed it like a month ago.

I've been pleased with MPG, but of course its very situation dependent. I have the steepest gears (3.73), and truck with curb weight 5k lbs. Cruising at 50 mph in summer with the engine fully warm, 27 mpg. 5 mile commute during winter where the engine just reaches full operating temp at the end, 14.5 mpg. Cruising at 70 on the highway during the summer, 23 mpg.

Originally Posted by DavidJones
I have a 2016 2.7 Ecoboost F150 Lariat that currently is showing 42,000 miles. No doubt, a great power plant. I choose to run the Motorcraft Semi/Syn 5w-30 in mine. I went with 7000-7500 mile change intervals based on an oil analysis. There aren't that many high mileage 2.7's out there yet but I'm close friends with a gentleman that has a 2016 2.7 crew cab XL that as of yesterday had 247,000 miles showing. Pat's not a "car guy", so he simply does what the owners manual suggests. He runs the recommended Motorcraft semi/syn until the OLM tells him to change it, which in his use, is every 10,000 miles. It seems to work.
Personally, I think we tend to overthink these things.

I read your thread on another forum recently. It was nice to see a high mileage 2.7, even though of course it was all highway.

Originally Posted by kehyler
Originally Posted by MParr
Nope, I wouldn't go that route. 5W30 grade oil is fine but, I wouldn't use the high mileage stuff. The Dexos1-Gen 2 label isn't the be all and end all. It's a Ford, go with the Ford spec. Quaker State Ultimate Dependability 5W30 is a good oil for the money. Change oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use premium gas.

Sorry. There are no Mobil1 HM oils that are ILSAC GF-5. Mobil1 HM oils are ACEA rated which have tougher seal compatibility spec's than GF-5.

Originally Posted by ka9mnx
Originally Posted by kehyler
Originally Posted by MParr
Nope, I wouldn't go that route. 5W30 grade oil is fine but, I wouldn't use the high mileage stuff. The Dexos1-Gen 2 label isn't the be all and end all. It's a Ford, go with the Ford spec. Quaker State Ultimate Dependability 5W30 is a good oil for the money. Change oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use premium gas.

Sorry. There are no Mobil1 HM oils that are ILSAC GF-5. Mobil1 HM oils are ACEA rated which have tougher seal compatibility spec's than GF-5.

I'm glad to see that M1 HM oils are ACEA rated, which have toucher seal compatability ratings.

However, M1 EP HM is ILSAC GF-5. Please see here: https://mobiloil.com/en/motor-oils/mobil-1/mobil-1-extended-performance-high-mileage

Thanks for the heads up on EP HM. I'm not into the "boutique" M1 flavors so I'm not familiar with their spec's. Not interested in ILSAC oils.

In my 3.5L ecoboost ran these oils in dB meter noise test

M1 0w40 Euro
M1 Formula M 5w40
M1 EP 5w30
PUP 5w30 & M1 5w30

This list is also how they ranked … lowest Db reading on top

Last edited:
Originally Posted by 4WD
In my 3.5L ecoboost ran these oils in dB meter noise test

M1 0w40 Euro
M1 Formula M 5w40
M1 EP 5w30
PUP 5w30 & M1 5w30

This list is also how they ranked … lowest Db reading on top

Mind telling me what the DB meter noise test is?

Originally Posted by 4WD
Used the same instrument to measure sound level after each oil change …

Is lesser engine sound used as a proxy for how much wear the engine is generating?

Im with you Thugzy, M1 0w40FS. No change in economy, and doesn't shear down as much. If the pricing ever comes down on M1 esp 0w40 i will move to it.

Originally Posted by Thugzy
Im with the M1 FS 0W40 Ecoboost camp... see my sig.... excellent UOA results

How are you making the determination it's a great UOA?

I agree with others there is no need for HM oil. Mine does fine on the M1 classic in a 5W-30. I have also run the 10W-30 with no issues. Sticking with 5k changes for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back