Plan for 2018 2.7 ecoboost in Ford F150, M1 EP HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I have a 2018 2.7 ecoboost in a Ford F150. I dumped the factory fill @ 5k miles. My plan going forward is to use Mobil 1 5w-30 extended performance high mileage full synthetic. This oil meets the Ford Spec for my engine WSS-M2C946-B1, ILSAC GF-5, ACEA A5/B5, and API SN Plus. The only thing that I noted is that it does not state that it meets dexos1-Gen2.

Does anyone have some feedback on my plan? I'm a bit new to the oil world.

Thanks!

Nope, I wouldn't go that route. 5W30 grade oil is fine but, I wouldn't use the high mileage stuff. The Dexos1-Gen 2 label isn't the be all and end all. It's a Ford, go with the Ford spec. Quaker State Ultimate Dependability 5W30 is a good oil for the money. Change oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use premium gas.

No need for hm anything its a new car.
Why do you think it needs hm oil?
Take time and read the owners manual and use what it says.
Very simple

Originally Posted by MParr
Nope, I wouldn't go that route. 5W30 grade oil is fine but, I wouldn't use the high mileage stuff. The Dexos1-Gen 2 label isn't the be all and end all. It's a Ford, go with the Ford spec. Quaker State Ultimate Dependability 5W30 is a good oil for the money. Change oil and filter at 5,000 miles and use premium gas.

Quaker State Ultimate Dependability 5W30 does not state that they meet WSS-M2C946-B1. I'm pretty hampered in my search to find oils that meet WSS-M2C946-B1.

Originally Posted by Dallas69
No need for hm anything its a new car.
Why do you think it needs hm oil?
Take time and read the owners manual and use what it says.
Very simple

The HM portion was incidental to finding a reasonably priced full synthetic that met WSS-M2C946-B1.

I should also state that I used Mobil 1 5w-30 extended performance high mileage full synthetic at 5k miles. Although, I'm happy to switch/dump it for something better if someone can convince me that there is a better choice, or that the HM portion is "wrong."

I'd get away from M1 all together and run PP or PUP 5W30 and as said above, ALWAYS use premium fuel regardless if the owners manual tells you that you don't have to. You have a very high output turbocharged engine, running regular junk gasoline is just a idiotic thing to do.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
I'd get away from M1 all together and run PP or PUP 5W30 and as said above, ALWAYS use premium fuel regardless if the owners manual tells you that you don't have to. You have a very high output turbocharged engine, running regular junk gasoline is just a idiotic thing to do.

Sorry, what is PP or PUP? I'm not familiar with the acronyms yet.

I wouldn't say Pennzoil is better than Mobil1, run either one of them and you will be fine. Stay away from high mileage oils.

Nothing wrong with that … and since you are new … be aware this site is loaded with brand bias and those who spew nonsense against products they don't even understand …
There are several folks here who are both knowledgeable and objective … but they have much of their time wasted by trolls … Anyway, in the meantime following the OEM approvals works on many levels …

What does your manual recommend?

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4849260/Re:_Ford_Oil_specs

Seems to say M1 AFE 0w30 meets the spec. Regardless, i think any 0w30 or 5w30 will work just fine. The Motorcraft Full syn meets it too, if you can find it.

OP, props for wanting to find the best oil that meets your factory spec. Unfortunately you won't find a consensus here as to what that best oil is. At some point it comes down to your brand preference between your top choices. Interesting in the link above it sounds like the oil companies are trying to catch up with Ford on the spec in some models.

Originally Posted by tig1
Why HM oil with a new engine?

That oil meets the ford -B1 spec and just happens to be HM.

Is there any harm to a new engine using HM oil? Is there a warning on the bottle or something?

Originally Posted by AZjeff

Is there any harm to a new engine using HM oil? Is there a warning on the bottle or something?

The thought is that HM oils have seal swelling compounds in them. This helps prevent leaks. Some HM oils also tend towards the high end of the viscosity.

I'd simply use M1 Extended Performance and go on your way. More importantly, change the oil frequently. Oil that's full of fuel byproducts, soot and particulates is not the ideal thing for your engine.

I have 2018 F150 SuperCrew 4x4 with the 2.7. Amazing engine. I choose 5000 mile oil changes.

I have been using the regular High mile M1 for the past 5 oil changes in My 2,7 as it seems the be blended on the higher side of the 30 wt and it meets Fords specs. will matter? I don't know. I Called the M1 tech line and they said yes use it as it meets Fords specs and Valvoline's tech line and they said the same thing about using Maxlife oil. We all have our preferences and I will say use any quality proper spec oil and the engines will last as long as they can.

I would look for a full synthetic oil that meets specs , is readily available and you can find on sale / clearance / rebate .

Would not think HM oil is needed . No idea is DEXOS ( GM ) spec oil also meets Ford spec .

I would also drain & will with new filter at about 5000 miles .

Can fuel dilution in the oil be smelled on the dip stick , when you check oil level ?

What kind of MPG are you getting ?

Originally Posted by AZjeff

If the HM oil meets your spec, nothing to worry about....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back