PL14476 cut open, 5K on dino 5W30-NO TEARS-BUT!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case it's unreadable, date code is F08B17E1. Off Mom's Matrix, on for roughly a year. She is a short-tripper, but Purolator's QC is a JOKE! Check out that pleat spacing...
PL14476_3.jpg
PL14476_2.jpg
PL14476_1.jpg
PL14476.jpg

There is so much space on either side of the crimp that flow just forces them over. I realize this is 2008 production, but I'm not buying any more of these!

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
And this causes WHAT kind of problem?

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?

Originally Posted By: gregk24

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?
Jack, he said there were NO tears. "NO TEARS" is pretty clear to me. Maybe you can tell us WHEN they will start?

Last edited:

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?
Jack, he said there were NO tears. "NO TEARS" is pretty clear to me. Maybe you can tell us WHEN they will start?

You asked what kind of problem this causes, the pleats are under stress, thats why they bend...then ultimately they tear.

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?

You asked what kind of problem this causes, the pleats are under stress, thats why they bend...then ultimately they tear.

In some filters, they've torn. In others, like the Motorcraft filters, they don't. I've had bent pleats in both FRAM and motorcraft filters. I've never had any tears. Wavy/bent media is a fact of life in many applications. It doesn't mean imminent failure is on the horizon.

I'll bet you could dig up photos of PureOnes from back in the day when they were the Belle of BITOG, and they would have wavy pleats. And I'll bet those wavy pleats were barely mentioned because BITOGers were in love with PureOnes.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
In case it's unreadable, date code is F08B17E1. Off Mom's Matrix, on for roughly a year. She is a short-tripper, but Purolator's QC is a JOKE! Check out that pleat spacing...

There is so much space on either side of the crimp that flow just forces them over. I realize this is 2008 production, but I'm not buying any more of these!

F08B17E1

F Fayetteville, NC
08 Month
B 2010
17 Day of month
E Line number
1 Shift

August 17, 2010

A 2009
B 2010
C 2011
D 2012
E 2013
F 2014
G 2015

Judging by the date, I'd expect not to see tears. Nothing to see here folks.

Definitely looks short tripped too. Take it on the highway or shorten the OCI to 3000 miles.

very sad they used to be so good now they are sooooo bad i never liked the pure one i always thought they were restrictive i used to use classics and in the shop group 7 for well over 20 years but we will not use them anymore its not worth the risk. We returned all of them a few months back and our distributor has been supplying the jobber wix filters. Only problem is i dont know which filter goes on what engine by heart anymore..lol

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?

I does seem imo that some are disappointed when no tears are reported in Puro's.

And while this one won't win any aesthetics award, it got the job done with no tears and thus won't qualify for the honeycomb hideout as member simple gifts has noted in the past.

I will say that based on pictures only, this one looks to have operated in tough environment at 1year/5k. Relatively nasty looking.

Oh and excepting internet urban legend myth, P1's are not restrictive no matter how many times it's repeated. Maybe Snopes.com will add it to their site at some point.
grin.gif

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?

WHEN, jack?

HerrStig said:

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?

Last edited:
My main concern was the jammed-together pleats on the back side, compared with the wide spacing by the crimp-and the wide spacing was that way from day one. Didn't tear, but since her engine was back-specced to 5W20, and the way this winter is looking, went with PP 5W20 for this one, with one of my remaining P1s, We'll see if this one's any better next time. Actual mileage was 4667, a little under 5K actually, I won't push any non-synthetic Puro oil filter past 5K, no way.

HerrStig said:

Ummm...TEARS!! Hello?

When?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back