pistol safes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ordered my first gun, a S&W M&P 9mm full size. Looking around at all the pistol safes that are out there and wanted to see your guys opinions. Id like to get something big enough for 2 handguns, for something I will purchase eventually. Whats the opinions about the biometric fingerprint safes?

I've got a simple combo safe with a KEY BACKUP that I paid around $60 bucks for. Strong and plenty of room for a few weapons.

Keep it SIMPLE. Change the batteries often. Keep the key around CLOSE just in case. Flashlight close by.

Bill

PS: EXCELLENT choice for a weapon! I love mine!
01.gif

Thanks Bill, I decided on it after looking for a while between it, the Glock 19, Springfield XD, and Ruger SR9. Defenitely the best choice I think.

I know simple is always better, to be honest, the fingerprint safes make me a little uneasy. Although I'm sure most of the have a key backup.

Look at the safes from V-Line Industries. They use a mechanical, push-button, Simplex lock. No batteries to worry about.

I don't trust biometric safes. In the event my fingers are bandaged, dirty, burnt, or whatevered, I may not be able to access the contents. Additionally, in the (unlikely) event someone else needs to get in, they cannot. I also don't trust batteries for that kind of thing.

Ok just asked my brother he is a locksmith and said to get a good guardall safe it may cost more but it can't be opened by a cheap screw driver and a hammer like the cheap ones often sold at big box stores and office supply stores..
You want good security for that because the red tape and the liability can be huge..

I think he just wants something that he could bolt to a night stand and keep the kids away from the firearm.

There is NOTHING that would hold only 2 guns that could not be taken away.

For many weapons, a large size is needed. I've got a Fort Knox safe and a Liberty safe that does the job.

(ABOVE 95% of all gun safes are made in Utah btw...)
thumbsup2.gif

Take care, Bill

I'd be looking for an option to bolt the safe to something immovable such as the foundation. I have 2 safes, one is for rifles, the other for pistols and I've got them bolted to 2 studs with 4 support brackets connecting to the studs as well as the concrete subfloor. Make it miserable on the thief!

The best policy is 1) don't let people know about it and 2) hide it so well nobody would ever find it.

I've got a friend that built a false wall for his. But he owns 77 rifles and I'm not going to guess on what else.

they can carry anything some of the high end safes weigh in excess of 1000 pounds..
But they have a bolt down kit you can use.. If you buy a safe that costs $300.00 that will keep the kids out but not a burglar that wants to get in...There are people that can manipulate bank vaults open in under 10 minutes i have seen it..
Want proof just ask :)

Yeah every home burger carries a 4-5 foot hardened pry bar and has a buddy with a hardened crow bar.
whistle.gif

If that safe was bolted to the wall or floor these guys (*IF* they had the tools) would have been breaking into that safe for a LOT longer time.

While I'll agree that having a good safe is important, more important is PREVENTING the break in first.

Light up the house, have every window open to plain view from the street. 5-6 ft fences with locks. Neighbors who you KNOW that can be trusted if you are gone to watch out. Don't advertise what you have to everyone local.

Common sense stuff. The OP was asking for a safe to put in a max of 2 guns to keep them safe from kids grabbing them.

Not home robbers with hardened pry bars.

Take care, Bill

I looked at a safe at a locksmithing place. That safe was more expensive than all of my guns!

Instead of a safe how about a very strong steel door for a closet with steel panels put into the walls of the closet. I saw a door like that with very good deadbolts. And don't let anybody know what you have. We had a murder here recently where an elderly man tried to help two or three women. One of the women allegedly took his wallet and then two men the women knew allegedly murderd this guy. The women had checked out the old guys house.

A friend of mine that I work with told me that a guy broke into his father's house and stole some guns.

Today, with all of the drugs and everything, you have to be very careful who you talk to and careful who you let into your house.

I changed the locks on my house shortly after I moved in. Too many people working for subcontractos had access to the keys for the house. I am very glad I did change the locks because a while after I moved in somebody tried what sounded like a key in the locks of my front door about 3:00 AM one night. I had been awake at the time. You can't trust anybody.

Thanks everyone for all the input.

I ended up ordering a Gardall "microwave" style safe, (MS912-G-CK) This size seemed perfect for my needs, as I only have one pistol at the moment, and it gives me room to expand with a few more, and also store some more stuff in it. I also decided I may as well get a fire resistant unit.

I narrowed it down between the one above, a similar Mesa, and a First Alert. The Gardall seemed the best built, all were priced similar. I also looked at the Sentry's at Home Depot and Lowes, and while they would of fit my needs perfectly fine, they seemed like they were built like [censored].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back