Pirelli P6

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are your criteria? If you want a pure performance yet all-season tire that is raved about and cream of the crop for an all-season high perforamnce tire try the Pirelli P-Zero Nero M+S. The treadlife will be a bit shorter but performance trumps the P6.

I got cut off..I'm not looking for the performance as much as getting the tires to stick in the rain and light snow..I drive this thing like an old man..which I am.LOL I'll check on the Michelin Exalto AS thanks

Like flyboy4947 said, P6s are just "OK" as an all-season performance tire. If you look at them closely, their tread design really doesn't encourage efficient water evacuation. If true performance isn't a priority, check out the Yokohama Avid H4S. They should be capable of handling wet roads much better than the P6. Also, they have a 500 treadwear rating which is almost unheard of in an "H" speed rated tire.

In a Tire Rack test the Avid V4S didn't perform all that well in wet driving vs. the others in the comparo. Plus neither the V4S or the H4S rank all that well in light snow or wet traction in TR's consumer comments.

I'd suggest looking at the BFGoodrich Traction T/A , although I don't know if the $17/tire diff means a lot or a little. Anyway, just throwing out another option.

Thanks bretfraz..the P6 are 185/tire so the price isn't a big deal..I want a tire that I can do 80 mph in the rain..these stock Goodyears never could do that..I have to slow down to 60 in the rain and forget about driving in any kind of snow..I would also like to get 50-60k out of them..I have 35k on the stock ones and I might get another 5k out of 'em..so that's why I'm starting to inquire about different tires and how they work on the Mustang..I don't want to change again in 6 mos cause the tires won't hold the road..so I'de rather pay now then later..Plus, I'm concerned about the tire blowing out at 80 mph..so I'll pay the money for a great tire..I just assumed that since Audi put the P6 on their stock cars for all season driving that they would be a perfect tire for the way I drive..straight line fast..curves easy..thanks for the help..Joe

The P6 allroad was the OEM tire for my Audi. It was a so-so performer. Not horrible, but certainly not a performance tire. There are a lot of better tires out there. Treadwear was poor; I got 17K out of mine.

I tried a set of Falken Ziex 512s next. They were MUCH better than the P6s. But treadlife was again only about 17K as they wore out on the inside & outside edges. I ran about 40 psi in 'em; I should have run 45 psi (51 psi max). Then I probably could have gotton 25K out of them.

My current tire is the Yokohama AVID H4S. It may not have quite the performance of the Falkens but it's rated for 60,000 miles. I'll be happy if I can get 30,000 out of them, given my previous experience.

Another contender was the Dunlop Sport A2 Plus, but they are currently unavailable in my car's size.

I was looking for an all-season tire that would do well in the wet & dry, handle well, be reasonably quiet and comfortable, be at least H-rated, and have good treadlife. Your priorities may differ.

[ March 01, 2006, 06:49 PM: Message edited by: williar ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back