Pirelli Cinturato P7 Allseason PLUS "II"

or "2"...Second Generation!

Pirelli seems to have focused on the wet traction & wet stopping with the new Cinturato P7 All Season PLUS II, according to Pirelli's description that I was reading on the Tire Rack. I think that there was/is enough criticism in the tire testing field to warrant this change and focus on the "WET" performance of the P7(and P4) and I am looking forward to seeing some tire tests of the new 2nd gen of the P7.

I've just ordered my second set of P7 A/S Plus from TR, This time on closeout. I am & was happy with their current performance of the P7 on my daughter's previous Mazda3. So the closeout price kept me in Pirelli's as compared to le$$er costly tires that I was considering.

I have also had Pirelli P4(1st gen) and absolutely loved these tires. Maybe even more the the P7. I happen to be quite fond of the Pirelli tires that I've had thus far, more so than any tire brand to date. So, it'll be nice to see if these really good tires from Pirelli will be an improvement.

I personally have never found my Pirelli tires to be dangerous in the foul weather. As the matter of fact, I have felt just the opposite. I have always felt very confident and the tires to be nicely planted on the road and winter traction is quite decent considering it's an A/S tire.

"Compared to the previous-generation tire, Cinturato P7 All Season Plus II tires use an updated tread compound and internal construction with a focus on enhancing wet braking and traction. This compound is molded into an asymmetric tread design that blends dry handling with wet road and wintertime traction. A continuous outboard shoulder promotes steering response while the pitch sequencing and phasing of multiple inboard tread block sizes reduce pattern noise. Four wide circumferential grooves help evacuate water to increase hydroplaning resistance while engineered lateral and longitudinal sipes increase the number of biting edges to enhance wet road and wintertime traction."

This will be interesting to see. I had the P7's and they were a wonderful tire-until they got some wear on them. Then it was like riving on ice in the rain.They are the only tires I have ever puled off 'early" because they were that unsafe.

Yeah, I guess this can happen with any tire(s). I usually pull tires off between 3 & 4 32nds(tire & season dependent) as they just don't work the way I want them to.

I currently have Michelin Primacy MXV4(that the Pirelli P7 will replace) and they're at 4/32nds and I just don't like them anymore.

The Michelin Primacy MXV4 still ride well and absorb road imperfections well and still(surprisingly) are very quiet. But the rain grooves(at 4/32) aren't enough to evacuate heavy water. So to me, half tread is actually at 6/32nds. And here's how I look at it.

If a tire tread depth starts out at 10/32nds(most but not all do) and is only good to(legally) 2/32nds, then this means that we only have 8/32nds of usable life of the tires. So then, half tread is truly at 6/32nds and NOT 5/32nds. I realize that this isn't much difference but, this is how I see it.

Others may disagree but this is how I look at it for myself.

Last edited:
The Pirelli plant in Mexico is really making some quality tires. I really liked the P7 A/S that were on my GTI and had no issues in the wet.

I was reading a recent test at Tyre Reviews and an old-school Bridgestone Potenza S001 ruled the field in wet braking. It shows that the manufacturers can tweak a compound without changing the model.
Originally Posted by Char Baby
Yeah, I guess this can happen with any tire(s). I usually pull tires off between 3 & 4 32nds(tire & season dependent) as they just don't work the way I want them to.

This is why many manufacturers and Tire Rack recommend replacement at 4/32". Winter tires off at 6/32".

I've had a set of the P7 All Seasons and a set of the Plus model.

Bought the AS from TireRack on closeout for $80 each for my Fusion 235/40R19. They were decent tires. After about 35k miles, they started to hydroplane on wet surfaces but they were still good in light snow. I drove the car from NY to MN in snowy conditions in Feb 2018. While I was out there, I changed the set out when I was in MN at Discount Tire even though I still had 6/32nd left and even wear. I sold the set for $30 to a local shop that bought and sold used tires. I purchased AS Plus for about 900+ (after deducting rebates) and those tires have about 48k on them before I took them off for my winter set. They still have about 5-6/32nd left and hydroplane slightly in shallow puddles. I'll be replacing these next spring.

I really like the AS Plus. They have provided a quiet, smooth ride with long and even wear. Great traction in dry weather at any speed. Good traction in wet conditions when tread life is greater than 7/32nd. And they were great in snow when I used them in winter 2018-2019. I purchased snow tires for this winter season instead of buying new all seasons since I still had usable tread left on the tire for non-winter applications. I'll probably buy AS Plus II next time.

BTW, Michelin X Ice XI3 is an awesome tire in general. I cannot speak to its winter capabilities since it hasn't snowed here in my area except for 2 dustings of snow. It's rides, drives, and wears like an AS tire. I didn't really notice a difference when I made the switch.

Last edited:
I put a set of the "Plus" on my old 2017 BMW 340i xDrive to replace the AWFUL Continental run-flats. I found much the same thing. Dry traction was impressive, snow traction was decent, but rain/wet traction wasn't great. Ride quality was very good and overall I'd say they wore well, too. If they can keep everything else intact while they improve the wet performance it will continue to be a very desirable tire.

We've never had just the Cinturato P7 A/S, only the P7 A/S PLUS. And they were great in all regards for us, even in wet, where the P7 get their most criticism. But, we drive quite normal with all traffic situations and never really pushed the tires to their limits. However, we have come across emergency situations in the wet/rain where we had to swerve & comeback(to avoid another vehicle or a deer) and the tires made those maneuvers with confidence.

So, even though I wasn't looking to buy the A/S PLUS again(due to regular pricing even w/rebate), I couldn't pass up the closeout price. And with free shipping(ordered on WED/received on THUR), it was a no brainer. Mfg date for all 4 tires is 1819...last week of APR 2019(Apr 28-May 4).

So, I am also happy that all 4 tires were pulled from the same pile.

Last edited:
Found this forum and thread the other day and decided to join. I just had Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus II's mounted yesterday. Ordered them from my local Discount Tire. Put a little over 100 miles on them today, so far so good. I will update when I got more miles on them.

Originally Posted by Hammer77
Found this forum and thread the other day and decided to join. I just had Pirelli Cinturato P7 A/S Plus II's mounted yesterday. Ordered them from my local Discount Tire. Put a little over 100 miles on them today, so far so good. I will update when I got more miles on them.

Yes please do indeed keep us posted and I will do the same with mine(non II/2nd gens).

I’m contemplating these for my 17 accord sport 235/40r19. Either these or General Altimax RT43. I’ve read good reviews on both. I drive normal (right hand lane cruise set at 65 to and from work 16 miles each way) so I won’t really be taxing the tires.

-Any updates on the Pirelli tires 7 months later??

I too loved the p-4 and raved about them. UNTIL. Until they were worn about 50%. Now they are not good in the rain.
Plenty of tread left.
Hopefully the P7 will be better in this regard.

I’m contemplating these for my 17 accord sport 235/40r19. Either these or General Altimax RT43. I’ve read good reviews on both. I drive normal (right hand lane cruise set at 65 to and from work 16 miles each way) so I won’t really be taxing the tires.

-Any updates on the Pirelli tires 7 months later??
The II's are too new. But their price from Sam's Club is unbeatable. On average, Sam's Club is $10-$20/tire less than TR or Discount Tire plus they have $120 off a set of 4 for Plus members.

Just had these installed on wife's 2014 Fusion. My criteria was:
Decent price
Quiet
Good ride quality
Good performance
Reasonable snow performance
Good reviews
These seem to fit what I wanted.

I discovered a negative already. When driving on hwys with grooves the steering wheel felt like it was wobbling a lot.

Good day everyone,

So I've had them on since March and have put roughly 3k so far. I am pleased with them. Nice ride, quite, good traction in the elements, plenty of grip.

Back