Pirate Hunter

Status
Not open for further replies.
52 MPH that is some hauling A$$ ship!

We need to get a handle on the pirates getting away with way too much.

It's going to take more than one or two ships though......

I thought the news media got that one wrong. They said 45 M.P.H. Just like the ignorant press to not know the difference between miles per hour and knots.

I suspect the Pirates will continue to outsmart what we throw at the. Their business model is successful and will continue to evolve.

We don't seem to have the stomach to kill then. They have figured that out. They either get released to maybe will be brought to trial with the result that they will live in splendor compared to where they came from. Win/win for them lose/lose for us.

As mentioned pay China to take care of them. Problem solved.

Originally Posted By: pickled
Sell them cheap SA rated counterfeit SM oils and they'll slow down.

Only on BITOG...
crackmeup2.gif

Well, how 'bout this "non-BITOG-only" idea: bomb the living feces out of them -- both at sea and at their home-bases. We now have aircraft and ordnance combinations that allow our pilots and bombardiers to put weapons through particular windows on a house.

Time to put the technology to good use. . .

Originally Posted By: ekpolk
Well, how 'bout this "non-BITOG-only" idea: bomb the living feces out of them -- both at sea and at their home-bases. We now have aircraft and ordnance combinations that allow our pilots and bombardiers to put weapons through particular windows on a house.

I'm sure we would if it paid. Deploying those weapons costs money. Not that these ships don't ..but that's more of a "P" issue with where we're putting our money.

I don't know the Hollywood accounting involved with how they tab a campaign when you're using existing cost personnel and can merely divert already being consumed resource (idle some routine things, etc.).

When this starts to put a dent in Wall St. & Co.'s primary movers and shakers affairs, then it will be an issue of merit. Military action is mostly used to protect these interests.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Deploying those weapons costs money.

So. We're printing enough now, why stop?
LOL.gif
700 billion here, 100 billion there.

The cost of turning Somalia into a glass factory is pennies compared to what we're spending now - even on current military engagements.

And it would create a sense of national pride for our citizenry to watch the pirates get blown to smithereens on TV in the comfort of our homes.
34.gif

I agree, except for the Hollywood accounting involved. What one would expect to be a minor blip on the expenditure radar will turn into an enterprise of continued costs.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Well, I would guess there probably more boats and poor Somali fishermen with no other options to survive than multi million dollar bombs that the U.S. navy would use...

I understand the piracy problem started when Somalia couldn't defend its territoral waters and industrial fishing boats from spain, china, india, that cleaned out the fishery. So now you have 1000's of guys with boats and no fish, so its no surprise some of them have turned to piracy.

A bunch of somali immigrants in Canada are actually going back and trying to get their society functioning again. I'm sure they could use a few million in cash, more than in bomb form.

Or maybe use the expensive bombs on the industrial trawlers, probably would be the best aid money spent in africa...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/may/11/somali-pirates-london-intelligence

Quote:
It says that pirate groups have "well-placed informers" in London who are in regular contact with control centres in Somalia where decisions on which vessels to attack are made. These London-based "consultants" help the pirates select targets, providing information on the ships' cargoes and courses.

In at least one case the pirates have remained in contact with their London informants from the hijacked ship, according to one targeted shipping company.

The pirates' information network extends to Yemen, Dubai and the Suez canal.

The intelligence report is understood to have been issued to European navies.

"The information that merchant ships sailing through the area volunteer to various international organisations is ending up in the pirates' hands," Cadena SER reported the report as saying.

This enables the more organised pirate groups to study their targets in advance, even spending several days training teams for specific hijacks. Senior pirates then join the vessel once it has been sailed close to Somalia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back