Pinion seal leak - go ahead & get Speedi Sleeve?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My truck has started leaking from the pinion seal on the rear diff. Not a major leak, but it is damp around the seal and the front of the differential housing. It's not enough to drip yet. No symptoms of driveline looseness, I just noticed it when I took a quick look under the truck the other day.

I am hoping it is just that the seal has become worn out from 12 years / 155,000 miles of use. The leak had to have started within the last month. I check for leaks whenever I change the oil and the diff was dry at the last oil change about a month ago.

Would it be a good idea to go ahead and order a Speedi Sleeve for it? How common it is for a leaking pinion seal to be associated with wear on the flange?

I can't find a Speedi Sleeve in stock locally, so that kind of suggests to me that it isn't that common to need one (same p/n for all 7.5"/8.8" axles), but it could also be that most people just replace the seal and don't care/notice what condition the flange is in.

Getting the seal is no problem, but the repair sleeve for the sealing surface on the flange isn't as readily available.

I decided to go ahead and get one coming just in case. Napa should have it in on Monday, so if the truck does need it, there won't be any extra downtime.

I'd take note of how far your OE seal has been driven in-and compare with your new seal to drive that in to a position to seal, but not at the same spot=miss any wear groove in your shaft-good luck-Dan Mpls. Mn.

When I was in Automotive class in 2006, someone had a seal leak in a 1990s Explorer. Someone determined that the most cost effective way is to buy a "Companion flange kit." It also came with a new pinion oil seal.

Maybe you can get the rear yoke and a new rearward U-joint instead of fitting a sleeve.

However, since not all drivetrains use a companion flange, you may be stuck using a sleeve.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Dorman makes a flange replacement that comes with a seal and is cheap, but it's Dorman.

Maybe you should use the Dorman flange, but buy a seal from a more trustworthy parts company.

I may do that if the flange is really rough, which I doubt, but on a Dorman part I am a little worried about balance issues and the like. You would think a flange is hard to mess up, but I wouldn't put it past them. I am hoping I will have to do nothing but put the new seal in, but if there is wear, the SKF sleeve is my first plan followed by a replacement flange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back