Pine Tree Sap Removal ??

Hi there, tried to search this already, but now I ask formally: Oldest son has a 2016 Kia Forte 5 in black. He's not a car guy. Has been working and parking his car near & and at times under the branches of a tall pine tree. Huge gobs of sap on front bumper and hood. I tried WD40, brake clean, mineral spirits, all with elbow grease. This stuff would eventually come off, but there was a layer on the paint that resisted all efforts. What do the pro's here recommend? And yes, he will park in a safer area going forward! Thanks, Ken

I mix isopropyl alcohol 50%-50% with demineralized or distilled water in a small spray bottle. Spray the sap and then remove the glop with a microfiber cloth. Large or stubborn patches may take a few passes. Works great and there has been no paint damage on any of the cars or trucks I've done it on. I do have an extreme pine sap problem where I park in the Sierra foothills, and I have done this a lot over the last few years.

Isopropanol. But, with a black paint job you're going to have to use some care towards the end, using less and less until you wipe dry the alcohol, or you'll have a thin white layer left dried onto the black paint.

Originally Posted by oldhp
Hot water and Dawn dish washing soap.
Great advice. Make sure they clay bar and polish, wax afterward or its worse.

I have used Goof off successfully. Dab a microfiber towel in Goof off and wipe off gently. No elbow grease needed. I was worried if it will cause some paint issue but it was alright. My car's paint is silver though.

I found Mineral Spirits worked well after the area was washed clean. Then after the Mineral Spirits I washed the area again and waxed it with whatever wax/sealant was used prior.

4WD

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
WD-40 followed by soap and water.
Long list of WD-40 followed by Dawn !

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
My Favourite, though, is : [Linked Image]
Yep, that and lighter fluid (naphtha) will dissolve it on contact, just cannot leave it on very long.

KGMtech

Thanks guys! I hope that he's going to avoid the Pine tree going forward. I will try IPA on the residue and see if that does the trick.