Pine tar?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a few hundred very small pine tar spots on my black Toyota. Took it to a local Groupon detail shop and they waxed over them. Is there a better way to remove them versus the tedious one by one with alcohol or Wd40?

Afterwards what is a good cleaner wax to use with a buffer?

For an over the counter the option, you can try some Stoner's Tarminator from the auto part store.

I don't use AIO/cleaner waxes much, but I really like HD Speed. Decent cut, very very easy to use, and fills fairly well. Like most true AIOs, their durability is very lacking - so I apply a coat of HD Poxy over it.

What machine were you planning to use it with? It works great on a medium polishing foam pad.

I'll be using a low speed orbital small foam pad buffer that I have for my boat. Will they carry the Hd speed at autozone or AAP?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wymi516
Turtle Wax bug & tar remover works great on that.

+1

That's what I've used in the past. It'll likely strip any wax that you had on there, along with pine sap, so you'll have to re-wax afterwards.

Any kind of vegetable oil dissolves sap well. Same kind of thing with peanut butter--it's the oil in it that does the job.

Dirt cheap and won't harm paint.

Naptha (white gas, Coleman fuel, charcoal starter) will do it. It won't hurt the paint, but will strip the wax so you'll be stuck waxing again.

Can you take it back to the detail shop and have them remove it then reapply the wax? I'd call the mgr first and be nice yet firm. See if they can redeem themselves.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Can you take it back to the detail shop and have them remove it then reapply the wax? I'd call the mgr first and be nice yet firm. See if they can redeem themselves.

No I don't trust them. I tried some Tarminator (had a can in the garage) and it doesn't budge this stuff. This pine tar has been on there a long time. Will a clay bar remove it?

Turpentine is easy on finish and it is made from pine. Since it is made from pine, it is extremely soluble with pine sap and tar. Turpentine is not harmful to skin. It will remove wax though.

If WD-40 is tedious for you, you should re evaluate your expectations.

I use either WD-40 or spray furniture polish, like Pledge. The other stuff will strip the wax.

I also dont like buffers, even the so called orbital ones, they leave swirl marks. Is waxing really a chore, too? I use Megs Ultimate liquid, rubbed in back and forth (not circles!). Polished with microfiber.

Originally Posted By: Noey
I also dont like buffers, even the so called orbital ones, they leave swirl marks.

If you are getting swirls with a RO (random orbital), there is something wrong with your pad/product combination or your process. ROs make it ridiculously easy to get a swirl free finish. A lot of guys will finish with a RO after using a rotary to do the heavy work just because a RO is so easy to get a great finish with.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back