Pictures of the Nimitz in drydock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saw this posted in another forum. So cool! Impressive engineering. Nearly 50 years old...

Amazing.

Question from a land lover.... Is she just balancing there as it appears? Or, is she somehow braced to keep from tipping?

She's blocked securely, she was out there with us in the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm
34.gif

This ship has been of interest to me ever since I saw the movie "The Final Countdown" in 1980. Very good movie.

Originally Posted by madRiver
My first time on a US Navy ship was this one at age 10 when I lived in Alexandria Egypt. I was in awe.

Interesting story. I'm sure these pictures brought back some memories.

A personal drydock story here.

The Coast Guard cutter I was on hit a deadhead in the Gulf of Alaska and bent a prop. We got orders to head to Tacoma where a drydock was available. This was a floating drydock. The bent prop was removed and after a few days a brand new prop was delivered on a flatbed truck. A crane lifted it off and started to position it to lower down. The straps came loose and the prop fell to the bottom of the drydock. Fortunately no one was hurt. The sound of that prop hitting the steel drydock must have been heard for some distance. A lot of red faced workers restrapped the prop which was in worse shape than the bent one they removed. It meant about ten days extra time in Tacoma to source another prop.

These props were obviously much much smaller than the ones on a aircraft carrier yet it was still impressive. Bigger than myself for sure.

Have seen it in person. I work at Subase Bangor, so I frequent PSNS to help with submarine testing.
Never gets old seeing something in dry dock.

Originally Posted by PimTac
A crane lifted it off and started to position it to lower down. The straps came loose and the prop fell to the bottom of the drydock. Fortunately no one was hurt. The sound of that prop hitting the steel drydock must have been heard for some distance. A lot of red faced workers restrapped the prop which was in worse shape than the bent one they removed. It meant about ten days extra time in Tacoma to source another prop.

Riggers swear like the rest of us but "drop" is a 4-letter word they hold in reserve!

Originally Posted by eljefino
Originally Posted by PimTac
A crane lifted it off and started to position it to lower down. The straps came loose and the prop fell to the bottom of the drydock. Fortunately no one was hurt. The sound of that prop hitting the steel drydock must have been heard for some distance. A lot of red faced workers restrapped the prop which was in worse shape than the bent one they removed. It meant about ten days extra time in Tacoma to source another prop.

Riggers swear like the rest of us but "drop" is a 4-letter word they hold in reserve!

I would imagine so. This was about a 25 foot drop, maybe a bit more.

Originally Posted by DBMaster
This ship has been of interest to me ever since I saw the movie "The Final Countdown" in 1980. Very good movie.

Featuring Tomcats from VF-84, The Jolly Rogers. Finest fighter squadron in the Navy!

Who can forget the line, "Splash the Zeros! I say again, Splash the Zeros!"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back