Pictures of High Mileage Engines using Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:
Anyone up to giving Mobil 1 the props it deserves?

Irregardless of what the discussion/claim is at the time, you'll never hear anyone on this forum stand up for M1 save for a few individuals. I'm one of them.

Wasn't it always a good OTC oil? I never heard anyone say bad things about M1. Most people on this board seem to be a M1 fan more then anything else. If anything, Amsoil is ripped more often. I think M1 has always been a respected OTC oil and considered the best.
smile.gif

[ January 04, 2003, 07:54 AM: Message edited by: buster ]

Seems that Amsoil gets ripped more than Mobil 1 but not for reasons of quality. More often it is ripped for their marketing scheme and some dealers that are not up to speed on the products they're selling. I have no doubt that Amsoil makes one of the premium oils available. I am not a Amsoil dealer just a satisfied customer.

quote:

quote:
AND
Irregardless (sic) of what the discussion/claim is at the time, you'll never hear anyone on this forum stand up for M1 save for a few individuals. I'm one of them.

I (of all people) said something to the effect of "pretty clean engine". TONS of people on this site praise M1, it is a great oil. I am not at all sure where you guys hang out. The doubting in this thread has nothing to do with M1's ability to run clean. Just the perhaps dubious nature, and source of any such photos. IMHO
cool.gif
This would happen if the oil mentioned was XYZsynthetickillerwhale Oil. I sorta purposely didn't mention the hokey odometer shots, with engines - for obvious reasons. Others did - and even if I was the original poster - I just would say - yep - "It's from the WEB, so viewer beware"

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Wasn't it always a good OTC oil? I never heard anyone say bad things about M1. Most people on this board seem to be a M1 fan more then anything else. If anything, Amsoil is ripped more often. I think M1 has always been a respected OTC oil and considered the best.
smile.gif

When the SuperSyn formula first arrived on the shelves, Mobil for some reason didn't add moly to the mix. Bob tested an early batch on the Timken machine and it performed terribly. So for a while on here, many of us were thinking the latest formula of Mobil 1 was a step backwards, and it really was not good until they added the moly back into it. I don't know why early batches didn't have it, since they were supposedly putting it in the SL formula TriSynthetic. Word spread pretty quickly on the internet when Mobil 1 also made a mistake by listing their oil as a semi synthetic on their webpage. This led many people to believe it was now using a group 3 basestock. It was only on their site like this for one day, but the repurcussions lasted a very long time.

It's only just in the last few months since we started seeing the oil analysis results that we can see it's a better formula than before. Only time will tell if it cleans any differently than TriSynthetic though. I sure hope it does.

quote:

Originally posted by Giles:
Airborne,

If you can get Mobil 0w30, consider getting that instead of 5w30 for winter driving. It might be an all around better formulation than 5w30, but that's just my gut feel based upon looking at specs.

I have heard on here that the 0w30 motor oils seem to have better cleaning power than the 5w30 weights, if this is true or not, i dunno. Autozone has the 0w30 weight oil @ $5.15 a quart. Hell there filters are 2x's that. $10.99 for a friggin filter!!!!!! but hey, if you want a clean engine you have to be willing to pay the big bucks. I prolly end up going with the 0w30, not sure about the cleaning power but it being synthetic, should be able to clean up pretty nice in the engine.

AR

Why would they put semi-synthetic on there website when trisynthetic was 100% synthetic? That doesn't make sense. And Moly wasn't added to the first batch? So what was the general opinion of Trisynthetic before SS came out? I guess Amsoil/Redline were really a much better oil at the time trisynthetic was around.

Aairborne Ranger,

If it has additional cleaning power it is probably because of the difference in esters or percentage of esters used in the 0w Mobil formulas. Oil filters is a whole nother subject all together. I use K&N (similar to Mobil) on a couple vehicles, but use plain Motorcraft 820S on my newest with Mobil 1 oil. I'm not totally persuaded that the 3x cost increase is worth getting the Mobil, however I will never get another Fram if I can help it.

My 2 cents is that it really depends on the engine. Toyota and Honda engine are built to very good quality in general and they usually last very long. I think if you do the same with dino oil it will still look very nice, but in an old Taurus engine then that is a different story.

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Those do look clean inside. I have never personally had a car that used Synthetic oil from day one.

My mom's Probe GT has been run on Mobil 1 since the second oil change, it's now got over 130k on it, and based on it's oil analysis results and the sound of it's valvetrain, I know it's not super clean inside. I'm doing an Auto-rx treatment very soon.

[ February 03, 2003, 05:04 AM: Message edited by: Patman ]

quote:

Originally posted by Dipstick:

quote:

Originally posted by tenderloin:

Irregardless of what the discussion/claim is at the time, you'll never hear anyone on this forum stand up for M1 save for a few individuals. I'm one of them.

I stand up for Mobil 1 also, I do believe it's the best OTC synthetic you can buy. But no oil is perfect, eventually you need to use a cleaner. Oil cannot clean and lubricate perfectly well, it excels at one or the other.

I think Mobil 1 is a great oil and based on what I read in the analysis section, it is very capable. For price, availability and performace, it's hard to beat M1. Good stuff. Honestly, I don't see many that don't stand up for M1. It's Amsoil that people tend to bash and in many cases, rightfully so.
smile.gif

The one thing I don't like about Mobil 1 is that it leaves out a bit of a gap for some people. I know they have a lot of different viscosities, but they neglect to have an oil that is in the high 30wt to low 40wt range. I personally think a lot of cars out there would benefit from an oil like this. An oil that's in the range of 12-13cst, or even from 11-14 cst for that matter. Their 30wt oils are too thin for some engines with higher mileage (or even looser clearance designs such as my LT1 or even the LS1) but then their 0w40 (which is hard for people to find sometimes) is a tad too thick (IMO) for these engines. That is why so many people want to mix Mobil 1 10w30 and 15w40, to get a thick enough oil to slow down oil consumption in the LS1, but not too thick to cause problems.

Exactly, and that is my biggest problem with it. If they had an oil that fell in the ranges you mentioned, I would most likely stick with Mobil 1. The Amsoil S2000 I am running falls in the 11's, which is good for my car bc of the high mileage. In fact it's higher then Mobils 10W-30 at 9.8. I do think however, M1 is great for all of these newer cars calling for 20wt. oils. I still don't know why Mobil formulates there oils on the lighter side.....

[ February 03, 2003, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: buster ]

..........Any experiences/opinions on using the oil communities "heavy duty" offerings ie: M1 "Delvac 1" in the applications mentioned here? I know that most don't have the "energy conserving" stamp of approval, but aren't the better quality additive packages they boast a trade off in this respect and worth a look.

[ February 05, 2003, 01:46 PM: Message edited by: 7tford ]

quote:

Originally posted by 7tford:
..........Any experiences/opinions on using the oil communities "heavy duty" offerings ie: M1 "Delvac 1" in the applications mentioned here? I know that most don't have the "energy conserving" stamp of approval, but aren't the better quality additive packages they boast a trade off in this respect and worth a look.

/me would also like to know

Delvac 1 is very good according to everyone on this site. Slick raves about it and suggests more people use it for long term drains. I might run it in the summer if I can find it.
rolleyes.gif

quote:

Delvac 1 is very good according to everyone on this site. Slick raves about it and suggests more people use it for long term drains. I might run it in the summer if I can find it.
rolleyes.gif

If you visit Toronto we've got it in just about every Walmart up here. It's $35 CDN ($23 US) for a 4 liter jug.

quote:

Originally posted by Patman:

quote:

smile.gif

When the SuperSyn formula first arrived on the shelves, Mobil for some reason didn't add moly to the mix. Bob tested an early batch on the Timken machine and it performed terribly. So for a while on here, many of us were thinking the latest formula of Mobil 1 was a step backwards, and it really was not good until they added the moly back into it. I don't know why early batches didn't have it, since they were supposedly putting it in the SL formula TriSynthetic. Word spread pretty quickly on the internet when Mobil 1 also made a mistake by listing their oil as a semi synthetic on their webpage. This led many people to believe it was now using a group 3 basestock. It was only on their site like this for one day, but the repurcussions lasted a very long time.

It's only just in the last few months since we started seeing the oil analysis results that we can see it's a better formula than before. Only time will tell if it cleans any differently than TriSynthetic though. I sure hope it does.

As per your oil analysis results. Could an individual be confident in the assumption, that if he purchased a litre of Mobil 1 10W-30 at a Walmart in Toronto today for instance, that it would contain an amount of the Moly additive consistent with the industry standard or even consistent with Mobil Oil's previous (pre supersyn) standards? Or does such a standard on this additive even exist? I wonder would we still run the risk of purchasing stock in the old non-moly product. Does an oil analysis indicate percentages in this additive and whether or not a manufacturer is short changing the consumer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back