Pictures of ATF filter and pan on 20 year old GMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ursatdx
The trans in your truck has 2 different filter applications.
A deep pan and shallow pan.
The trans looks very healthy.
The metal filter in pics is the shallow version.
The black plastic, I believe is the deep version.
I'd look for one that is similar to the one you are replacing.

ARF member?

I bought both filters and it turned out to be the shallow one and was still all black plastic though. Yup I'm also over on ARFCOM!

For those asking how I keep it clean and detailed. I use Vinylex on the entire inside. It is good for keeping plastic and rubber in good shape. I use it on all the rubber seals and stuff also. For paint I like NuFinish because of it's long term durability and how well it protects the paint. Shines decent too. I clay the paint first using a Meguiars clay bar kit. I also use Eagle One "Wax as you dry" for touch up wax on the paint.

Secrete to preventing Rust is to keep the salt off it in the winter. I pressure wash the entire under carriage often. Also use your wash mitt and car soap in all the door jams and seams like along the bottom inside edge of the doors, hood, trunk, tail gate etc and all the way around. Inside bumpers too. That is where salt and road chemicals can get stuck.

Engine bay is easy once clean. For a dirty bay I use Dawn dish soap and a small brush and go to town. It works better then most engine cleaners and is safer. Then CAREFULLY pressure wash and dress with Vinylex or your preferred dressing. Once clean it is really ease to maintain.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Driz
[censored], how do you keep that so perfect, park it in the house?

Haha that's what I was thinking. It looks like it's fresh off the showroom floor!

Nice truck. I remember pictures of it over the years. As far as the tranny magnet and filter goes, both normal. I have a 98 chevy truck just like yours that I bought new. Mine has the deep pan and years ago I bought a GM tranny pan for a 99 Chevy truck that came with the factory drain plug and this makes tranny fluid changes a lot easier.

I just changed my fluid and filter a few months ago and I'm pretty sure my filter was all plastic. I think years ago when I would buy the AC-Delco filter kits, they were half plastic and half metal.

I have a friend at work that has a 98 chevy truck that is the color of yours and he has almost 400,000 miles on it and it's still has as far as he knows, the original transmission in it. He bought it with 76,000 miles years ago.

They are great trucks and I hope to have mine for many more years.

Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back