Pictures of ATF filter and pan on 20 year old GMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my 20 year old 1997 GMC Sierra 1500 with the 4L60E transmission. It has about 85,000 miles total on it. I have flushed this transmission several times over the years but never did a pan drop and filter change till today. Just wondering if this looks normal? To me is looks clean but the magnet is loaded up with a thick layer of gray gunk. How did the "rows" pattern get on the magnet? Once cleaned off it is flat. The ATF has been in the transmission for 6 years and has 12,000 miles on it. I changed it because of age and sitting a lot.
Also included is the original transmission filter. I have never seen one of these and curious how it looks to trained eyes. Tried to get a close up of the filter media. The factory filter is metal on one side and plastic on the other. The only replacement NAPA had was all black plastic. Is this a good replacement filter? I hope so as I probably wont change it for another 20 years so it better filter, flow and hold up well....fingers crossed!

So what do you think:

Here she is still looking new after all these years! I love this truck!:

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Driz
[censored], how do you keep that so perfect, park it in the house?

Yeah, don't you? I tuck her in at night with her favorite blanket too! She is my baby!

In reality it is a lot of hard work keeping it in perfect condition. I was a pro detailer for years so that helps and a nice garage helps too.

Pan looks great! Fuzz = normal amount, and it is likely that most of that is break in material from the first 20k or so....bet if you pull the pan in another 85k there will be even less on it then.

Beautiful!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

Yeah, don't you? I tuck her in at night with her favorite blanket too! She is my baby!

In reality it is a lot of hard work keeping it in perfect condition. I was a pro detailer for years so that helps and a nice garage helps too.

You did a fantastic job! I'm more impressed seeing older vehicles like yours looking sharp, then a well detailed new car. Your work speaks volumes for someone who knows how to keep a car looking good! A garage is a big help and preserving a vehicle too, better than a carport, or a car cover. Even so, they don't stay that good without meticulous care!

If you have a link to what you use to keep it looking like that I'd appreciate if you can add it to this thread! Thanks!

Look great! The magnet has ridges under the flat surface. You can feel them if you flex the magnet. At least that is the way mine is. So it causes the lines. That fuzz is normal and actually good for the age of the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: Chris B.

That 'engine bay' is one of the cleanest one I have seen in a longtime!!!

Would appreciate the name of the product which you use in the engine bay, also what do you suggest to use to clean leather interior?

Sorry, I digress, ATF fluid looks good
thumbsup2.gif

As everyone has said, great looking trans and truck. I also would like to know the products and process of the engine bay detailing.

The trans in your truck has 2 different filter applications.
A deep pan and shallow pan.
The trans looks very healthy.
The metal filter in pics is the shallow version.
The black plastic, I believe is the deep version.
I'd look for one that is similar to the one you are replacing.

ARF member?

What a beaut! All looks good visually.

I've seen the flat magnets develop lines like that before, and can only surmise that thats the shape of the flux they put out combined withe the surface they are mounted on.

A great example you have here for the " magnets are useless crowd".

Thanks for the C&P.

Wow that truck is beautiful for it's age!

I'd guess the rows on that pan magnet are just because of the magnetism on it. They're only strong enough to hold a bit, then everything else just floats by. Judging from the look/color, everything looks awesome with that 4L60E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back