Pictures from Get Together - 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doug looks just as youthful as the picture of him in his book, LOL!!!
grin.gif

Man, I really wish I could have made it
frown.gif

I met Doug for the first time at the meeting and I can tell you he is a class act.

And, he doesn't act his age at all!
happy2.gif

That's great you all had a meeting and am surprised it was in the Chicago area. I hope you all enjoyed it.
As the occasional lurker I missed the announcements :-( Would have made it for sure.
I'm sure it's amazing to realize there are real people behind these keyboards!

Last edited:
Quote:
Wow..they made oil in cans?

Yep, they made metal cans and rolled cardboard cans.

One of my first jobs as my dad's assistant mechanic was to use the metal oil spout to puncture the oil cans before pouring oil into the Buick's big V8, cast iron monster.
57.gif

If the bottom part (flange?) of the metal oil spout was turned slightly toward the cardboard can during insertion, you had to be careful not to puncture the cardboard can's side, or else.
31.gif
Sometimes, if the cardboard can was weak, it would crush down. Either way, it could be messy.

At that time, we used nothing more than 20W20.

VALVOLINE!!!!!! My Dad used that stuff by the case, (and that's when you got 24 quarts per case). Same can - opened many a can of that stuff - brings back a lot of memories. He had an old Detroit Diesel that took five gallons of motor oil, it was my job to change it. By the time you were done, you had a mountain of empty cans.

Wayne Willson is in the picture third from the bottom. He is wearing a green stripped shirt. It was an honor to meet the guys and the ladies that attended.

Originally Posted By: pscholte
Yeah I wasn't there so the everyone is nice comment probably holds true

There were no elf sightings and the GC debate never arose.
'Tis the pity.

You know, ChiTDI, some Elf talk face-to-face would have been fun. I am sorry I missed it and that ELVISH had left the building.

How I never got into the Elf business with their namesake motor oil is beyond me. Elf oils were just begging to be included. I dropped the ball on that one.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back